Nursing Mama Question

Options
Hi there,

I'm looking for advice on how many calories to add to my diet for breastfeeding now that baby is nursing a lot less.

My baby is over a year old and is now drinking whole milk and eating lots of solids- she still nurses when she wakes up in the morning and before bed, and occasionally for comfort.

I had set my calories at losing half a lb a week but I'm a little hungry and I think I still need extra calories for nursing.. any ideas on how many calories to add?

* Please don't post links with vague non-info, warnings not to lose weight while nursing or complicated mathematical algorithms- I just want to hear people's opinions! Thanks :smiley:

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    personally, i dont add it anymore. my daughter is 18 months, still nurses at least 3 times a day.
    however, you could try adding 100-200 calories for a bit and see if it helps. i know theres entries in the database for nursing older kids, and the toddler entries range from 100-250
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You can add breastfeeding to your food diary. There's several options in there. Maybe select the 'toddler' one which give you 200 calories/day?
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I'm nursing my 2 year old and set my goal to lose 1 pound a week. I choose to up the goal MFP gave me by 60 calories from 1440 to 1500 and I don't worry if I'm over by 100 or so every once in a while to account for the nursing.

I'm losing slowly, but I am losing.