Protein Amount

Options
Hi all, not sure how much protein I should be in taking daily (think it's 1g per lean body mass), and can you give me a list of protein sources? I'm in college and already have nuts, eggs, chicken, beans in my dorm. Thanks.

Male
19 y/o
155 lbs
5 ft 7

Replies

• FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Turkey, Fish, Protien shakes, ( NUTs are more for FATS ), Lean beef, Tofu, Quinoa, Sea weed and cottage cheese the list goes on and on and on. Some say 1g per lb and some say 1.5. I go with 1.5 because 1 seems to keep me lean without adding weight.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I go for a percentage of my calories in protein, rather than a set number. I try to keep it between 25-30% protein. That means for me, a 5'3 1/2" female at just under 150 lbs., I'm still eating over 100 grams of protein most days.

The best sources are the ones you listed that you already have, plus any lean meats and seafood.

Do you have access to a real kitchen, or just a minifridge and microwave?
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    How much do you intake per day, if I may ask? My problem is I'd like to slim down 10 more lbs and lose the remaining flab on my lower abdomen.
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm at 15% bf, but think I'll need to hit 12% to see any semblance of abs without flexing.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    How much do you intake per day, if I may ask? My problem is I'd like to slim down 10 more lbs and lose the remaining flab on my lower abdomen.

I know this was directed at a different poster but I eat a minimum of 100g of protein at 120 lbs. Since you're guessing BF% I'd still aim for around 130g of protein. I treat protein as a minimum. Both for cutting and bulking.

If you only have 10 lbs left, I'd probably go slow like .5 lb a week. I eat 1900 to lose that amount.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Here is Eric Helms on the matter, but I would watch the entire series for general nutrition knowledge.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mic4IELz61w&index=2&list=PLEIa3RQDplgzlo_o29F9W5DU4rd1icL0P
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    cajuntank wrote: »
    Here is Eric Helms on the matter, but I would watch the entire series for general nutrition knowledge.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mic4IELz61w&index=2&list=PLEIa3RQDplgzlo_o29F9W5DU4rd1icL0P

Love Helms ♡
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Anything that had a mother
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Turkey, Fish, Protien shakes, ( NUTs are more for FATS ), Lean beef, Tofu, Quinoa, Sea weed and cottage cheese the list goes on and on and on. Some say 1g per lb and some say 1.5. I go with 1.5 because 1 seems to keep me lean without adding weight.

Unless somebody is a pre-contest figure athlete, there is no peer-reviewed evidence to suggest that eating in-excess of 1gram / lb or 2.2grms / kg is beneficial. Eating more than 1gram / lb won't hurt you, but it's not doing anything extra for you either.