My body just wont get used to exercise?

Options
I've never been very healthy. When I was younger, (I'm 18 now) I remember just taking long periods of time off school. Sometimes it would be anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months. Mostly because of allergy problems, fatigue, or a prolonged cold. The more active I seemed to get, the worse my immune system is. So, when I turned 14 I just stopped a lot of my activity...which caused me to gain this 60+ pounds.

I'm now 44 pounds away from my goal weight (start 207- goal 140). I've been losing weight since January this year, but I even after losing 20+ pounds...I just don't feel good. Since entering my teens, my immune system has greatly improved, I barely get sick anymore...but I'm not sure why my body just won't get used to exercise. You'd think that after 5 months of this (3-5 times a week) my body would be used to this. Instead I find myself feeling bogged down and heavy after exercise. Why am I getting weaker instead of stronger? I Like being active, but not when it makes me feel like THIS. Typically how long does it take for your body to accept your new lifestyle?

Replies

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't take that long, IMO. Do you have a medical condition? Did you have blood test recently?
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    You're losing weight in a caloric deficit.. By definition, you're not giving your body what it wants. This is stressful. The less you eat the harder it is. If its really taking its toll you should take a short diet break then bring your calories back down. Google "full diet break". Good luck.

Also, I feel like the longer you're losing weight for the harder it becomes. It slows and plateaus and you have to continue to cut calories. Anybody who said it was easy was full of ......

Why arent you getting stronger? Are you doing resistance exercises and challenging yourself? If not, thats why.

Why are you not getting used to exercise? Are you doing too much? Google "work capacity"
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    what are you doing exercise wise? and what are you eating? taking multivitamins? getting enough protein? drinking enough water?

sounds to me like you aren't getting enough calories to fuel your exercise. or trying to do too much at once.
    step everything back a notch (that means up your calories, reduce the exercise), and see how you feel after a week or so.

losing weight should be a side effect of a healthier lifestyle, not a reason to abuse your body.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough rest? enough fuel? I would start by looking at those two things.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    If your calorie deficit is too extreme (like many uninformed people have), then you will feel slow and lethargic. Are you familiar with BMR and TDEE? I made the mistake of eating under 1600 cals a day; I became progressively weaker, the amount of weight that I could lift actually decreased.
  • edwardgaweda
    Options
    This sounds like a poorly balanced diet to me. When I lift and do heavy cardio I feel physically tired, but on a day-to-day basis I feel great, even in a caloric deficit. I would suggest looking into balancing your macros better and/or "cleaning" up your diet and considering the micronutrients in what you're eating as well.