Need advice about outgrown clothes

Options
2»

Replies

• colorfulcupcakes
    colorfulcupcakes Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I became sick and gained some weight back. I was glad that I hadn't gotten around to getting rid of all my old clothes. I'm back on track but I'm just sayin... things happen...
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I take mine to Goodwill fairly regularly. I know how tough it is to find nice clothes in larger sizes, so I was hoping that someone else could find use of them.

However, there are a couple of nice wool skirts that I'm going to take in so that they fit again. As Allons suggested, if there is something that you love, just take it to a tailor to have it resized. Generally it's fairly inexpensive to have done.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Definitely donate them! It is hard to find good clothes in large sizes at second hand stores, so women who are escaping an abusive situation have it tough when they have to leave everything behind! I know, I had three boys and a car and trailer packed full when we escaped in '93. We slept on the floor the first year. It was hard to look decent for work, since I dropped sixty pounds immediately on getting out of that bad situation.

I am a seamstress, so I am saving some for the fabric- I can remake them. But only the ones that I love the fabric.
  • yinkyo
    yinkyo Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If it's just a fear of going back to that size one day and needing them, throw them out (Donate, or what have you). Gives you more incentive to never go there again. (As if you need more, after the hard work it most likely took to get where you are today)

If it's attachment to the clothes, there are plenty of ways to transform them into something still useable. You can make jeans or blouses into pillows, purses, rugs, hair-ties, skirts, new pants and shirts, and a myriad of other things. Look em up online... or there's a book called Generation T: 108 ways to transform a t-shirt. It's specific for t-shirts, but you can probably adapt some of them. Also, you can bring them to a tailor to get them taken in?

All in all, if they're useable, they shouldn't be collecting dust in your closet waiting for you to slip up one day and start getting comfortable getting back into them. Make em work for you, or let someone else get some use out of them.
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Get rid of your 2 largest size clothes, you don't need them. You need to change your thought attitude, you will always be on the "diet" for the rest of your life but you have learnt how to eat healthy now. I got rid of all my big clothes I never want to go back there!!! Good luck with the choice you decide on :)

Agreed! .

When we are big for so long it is hard to really look at ourselves and see a thinner person. Or more so to ACCEPT that this really is the new you because inside you are a little of that overweight person still. Everyday you are aware of how easy it is to go back and how hard you have worked to get where you are. And that you will forever have to stay with this new life style to maintain your current size/weight. Until you can stop questioning if you can do that, If this is really the new you, you may need that comfort. And for some there will always be that what if feeling. So my suggestion to you would be:

Pick out a few pieces and put them in with your regular clothes. They will serve as a comfort AND seeing them side by side will be a reminder of where you have been and where you are and all that it took to get there.. perhaps you can even pin a little note to them that says you are worth it. :flowerforyou:

Best of luck!
  • sharonpink
    sharonpink Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Consignment shop???
  • keywestsunset
    keywestsunset Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Once I got to a size 8, I got rid of my 12s but am holding on to my 10s. I plan to always hold on to the next size up even though I don't plan on gaining the weight back.
  • merrileeirene
    merrileeirene Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I saved a few examples when I was at my heaviest but gave the others to family or donated to charity. :)
  • angiinkc
    angiinkc Posts: 24
    Options
    I have sold mine at a consignment shop to help fund my new wardrobe. Start off with the biggest sizes and each month or two start going lower on the sizes. The longer you make it, the better you will feel about your new you. Congrats.