Running vs Walking to lose body fat

Options
2»

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    alazio wrote: »
    I read once that forward movement is what matters. So if you travel 3 miles, it should burn near the same whether you walk or run (though it will take much less time, and will tone your muscles and lungs more if you run). Though I've never looked further into the science on that, so take it with a grain of salt!

No, walking and running are very different for net calories and it he is not burning what he thinks he is either. He is only burning about 120 net calories for three miles based on his body weight and he will burn 240 if he ran it. You can see more here: runnersworld.com/weight-loss/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn?page=single
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    I read once that forward movement is what matters. So if you travel 3 miles, it should burn near the same whether you walk or run (though it will take much less time, and will tone your muscles and lungs more if you run). Though I've never looked further into the science on that, so take it with a grain of salt!

Correction. I just looked this up and sure enough the science is not sound: http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning

Oh, just saw your second post. :smiley:
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    meddiez wrote: »
    My BMI is in the very low end of the normal range. I believe its 18.9 and I wish to keep it this way. I just prefer the skinny look thats why I wish to maintain my weight at about 115lbs. It's just a personal preference.

Yes, surprisingly with my low BMI and very low weight that some of you are saying, I do have some areas of body fat which I mentioned earlier. They are in my love handles and lower stomach area. Which is what I'm trying to get rid of. I know to lose body fat, you have to lose it all over as you can't spot reduce it. But after about 2 weeks of sticking to my plan, I'm seeing results as in the body fat around my abdominal area is finally starting to shrink and I'm hoping the next to go will be the love handles.

I went down from about 125lbs to 120 in about 2-3 weeks, I'm not sure what my body fat percentage is and have no way to measure it, but I'm guessing its maybe 20%.

I would worry more about a BF% target rather than a weight target but at 37 you will naturally gravitate to a higher BF%. You are not going to be 20% BF at your weight unless you have no muscle. The easiest way to get an estimate is to take a tape measure and use the Navy method: fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy or grab the calipers at GNC for about $15 or so.