How to know the calories burned during weight lifting?

Options
jennifershoo
jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
Is there a way to determine how many calories you burn whilst weight lifting? I don't trust the MFP database as it's just based on time. I'm guessing if I lift as heavy as I can for an hour I should burn more cals than lifting pink dumbbells for the same amount of time, shouldn't I?
Also, is it true that you can't trust your HRM for weight lifting? What if your heart rate increase while you lift?
I'm so confused.

Replies

• jennifershoo
    Options
    Bump
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM to tell me the calories burned when I am lifting. I find it pretty accurate.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    HRMs are typically calibrated for cardiovascular activity, which lifting (unless doing super sets or circuit training) typically is not. The biggest benefits of weight lifting come after your are done, during rest periods. I just use the cardio calculations here to make sure I eating a bit extra, but not over doing it.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    HRMs are typically calibrated for cardiovascular activity, which lifting (unless doing super sets or circuit training) typically is not. The biggest benefits of weight lifting come after your are done, during rest periods. I just use the cardio calculations here to make sure I eating a bit extra, but not over doing it.

this!
  • mrwonderful63
    Options
    Is there a way to determine how many calories you burn whilst weight lifting? I don't trust the MFP database as it's just based on time. I'm guessing if I lift as heavy as I can for an hour I should burn more cals than lifting pink dumbbells for the same amount of time, shouldn't I?
    Also, is it true that you can't trust your HRM for weight lifting? What if your heart rate increase while you lift?
    I'm so confused.

Yeah I've had the same question too, but this was about as good as answer as I could find. I hope this helps.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/338469-how-to-calculate-calories-burned-weight-lifting/
  • akindc
    akindc Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM to tell me the calories burned when I am lifting. I find it pretty accurate.

How do you find it accurate? HRMs don't work for weight lifting, so you're just estimating, at best.
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    I'm so confused.

Yeah I've had the same question too, but this was about as good as answer as I could find. I hope this helps.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/338469-how-to-calculate-calories-burned-weight-lifting/

Thanks!
    So I used that link to calculate my burn and it's a little disappointing, Lol! Way less than my HRM tells me (I like to wear it anyway to monitor my heart rate).