What are the best ways to tone the flabbiness under your upper arms when you lose weight

Options
I've been big for a while and have been working out cardio and strength training. Why question is what are the best workouts for the upper arm to tone up some of that flabbiness?

Replies

• rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Time and continued strength training. Trying to target that one area will build strength in it, but ultimately not do much else in terms of looks.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I've got wings, LOL. I think time is your best friend. It takes a while for the skin to adjust, and it only gets worse as you get older. I read one fitness guru who advised as long as there is ANY fat in upper the arms left, they will flab. But I don't intend to go to zero fat; that's stupid. Then there's surgery.
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Strength training. Find a good full body routine like Stronglifts 5x5 or New Rules of Lifting for Women. No sense in targeting the area as unfortunately you can't spot reduce/tone.
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I think it's something I read here in these forums: I'd rather have bat wings than fat wings. :D
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,723 Member
    Options
    While one can tone up the muscle underneath fat and skin, my assumption is that females that ask this question usually are speaking of the "hang" from their upper arms. Resistance training will help, but dependent on how much fat one has to lose, genetics, age and if there's any loose skin left after attaining goal weight, there's not much that can be done if there's a significant amount left behind with the exception of surgery. Time MAY allow more retraction, but that's not a given.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Having lost 173 lbs, I had the same issue, but it was belly flab (I still have some, but it continues to recede fast).

1) Keep enhancing your metabolism, which is to say, strength training with increasing intensity. You won't get "buff," but will fill out better.

2) Give it time. It takes several years to see your long-term progress.

3) If possible, add in a good running routine. This you don't hear from too many people, but running (even slow jogging daily or bi-daily) burns fat everywhere and increases lean tissue all over the body. Can't stress how important this is. It really will target trouble spots and you see the results quickly. Add it to your routine, and if you need help, jump onto Runner's World. So many good tips to get going. Running is the ultimate end-gamer for the newer, thinner life.

Genetics, time, and how big you were all factor in, but great improvements can be seen.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,369 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere (on the internet, hehe) that triangle pushups are the best exercise for the triceps. I added them to my regular strength routine about a month ago and things are definitely firming up.

Not sure how much less wingyness I can achieve, given age and loss of elasticity. But at least I'll have great triceps! :p