Any one else bruise more easily when losing weight?

Options
I'm in the process of losing 40lbs and this is my second time dropping a similar amount of weight. During my weight lost last time, as well as this time, I notice that I tend to bruise really easily. My legs are especially susceptible to these random bruises. Does anyone else find that they bruise more easily when losing weight?

Replies

• prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    this does not sound normal. you should see a doctor maybe there is something else going on with your body
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    My guess is that you're not eating enough, and therefore not getting adequate nutrition. As a young woman, unless you're under 5 feet tall, 1200 calories probably isn't cutting it.

I'd definitely see a doctor and maybe get some blood work done. They'll be able to tell you if you've got something like a Vitamin C deficiency or even a bleeding disorder.

Bruises can also occur in people who engage in vigorous exercise due to microscopic tears in blood vessels beneath the skin.
  • KristaPerseveres
    KristaPerseveres Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I seem to bruise more easily as well....following for info :-) I have been lifting and have bruises on my legs and arms from the bar, but figure that's to be expected, however, if I run into the corner of my footboard or nightstand I get huge bruises too. Bigger or worse when dieting than not :\
  • sarahb2023
    Options
    typically when lowering calories red meat comsuption gets put on the back burner because its high in calories (and to lose you eat less calories) this in turn can lower your iron which low iron causes bruises. Eating more dark leafy greens can help boost iron levels. But as always you should see a Dr
  • Chickaboo2014
    Chickaboo2014 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I also bruised a lot more during my weight loss. I exercised a lot and stuck to 1200-1800 calories at the time. I ate and continue to eat high protein foods and lots of veggies. I take Super B and high potency cranberry supplements every day which I took before starting to diet and continue to take after reaching goal and those vitamins didn't help one way or another. I went to the doctor for some unrelated tests earlier in the summer before reaching goal and my blood levels, including iron were fantastic. Not sure why this happened; it doesn't appear to be happening anymore. Good luck and I hope, like for me, it's nothing. :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Are you moving more now? I know that I end up with bruises a lot more now because I am moving around and not just sitting on the couch and watching TV. I knock myself in the shins or arms or shoulders with weights often enough that I usually have a bruise or two on me.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Yes, but only because I'm more active and therefore more prone to accidents 'cuz I'm a klutz like that :smirk:
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I bruise when I stop eating as much because I don't think I get enough iron and whatnot in those situations. If I eat more, I don't bruise but I never got it checked out or anything.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    I bruise very easily as well. Talked to my doctor about it but he says it's normal for someone of my size (small; very little body fat - not bragging; just adding a fact pertinent to the thread).

But, what I've found that helps is if I run into something or hit my leg with a weight where I KNOW I'm going to bruise if I put an ice pack on the area for 15 min. or so the bruise rarely appears! I'm fairly clumsy: in a hurry, hit my hip on the side of my desk, or carrying too many things and close my truck door onto my arm, etc., so I keep a flexible ice pack in the freezer at work and at home. It really does help!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I haven't really been smacked around lately
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Following for info. This is happening to me too! Getting random bruises from doing nothing. I am definitely eating enough but I'm not sure how my iron levels are...
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I don't know whether I bruise easily, but I am a little clumsy. Since I'm very fair, any bruises show up all too clearly!
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I bang myself up pretty bad on a weekly basis because I'm a klutz at the gym.

Anemia can cause bruising, so you may want to talk to your doctor about some bloodwork.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I find new bruises on myself every day. Just finished working out and while in the shower counted 3 new leg bruises...since last night. My job can be "bruise-worthy" at times but I do find that I bruise more when "dieting." My iron is fine...just donated blood and my H & H was awesome. As long as I feel good, and my doctor isn't concerned (or any of the other medical professionals that I work with aren't concerned) then I won't be concerned either.