When will i start seeing results?

Options
So i've been doing this for about 3 months. I've lost 18(ish) pounds so far, and my mom and my coworkers keep saying i look like i've lost weight, but i dont see it myself. my clothes are looser yes, but looking at myself i just dont see it.

how long did it take for you to see it in yourself in the mirror?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I still don't always see it in the mirror. Pictures are the best way to see the difference for me. Putting an old picture next to a recent one shows me all the little differences I can't see by just looking in a mirror.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    i agree. doing side by side comparisons really helps.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I don't always see it either. But today I found a pair of pants I haven't worn in a while because they'd been too small. I thought, oh these should fit now. I had to come home and change because they were literally falling off of me. I had to walk holding up the waistband and hike them up constantly. :laugh: Our brains have a magical ability to compensate somehow for what we see in the mirror.
  • madisonamanda
    madisonamanda Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It's super hard to see yourself. I agree with the above posts.. pictures are GREAT for that reason. I was CONVINCED recently that I look exactly the same except I was a little more muscly.

Then, just two days ago, my friend sent me an old photo of the two of us from 2012. (The left photo in my profile picture) and I was SHOCKED. Honestly, in my day to day and looking in the mirror... I see little difference. Then, I look at pictures like that one and know I've made progress. It's hard to see it in yourself.

But you've lost 18 pounds.. there's GOTTA be a difference.. scour around for an older photo.. maybe one you look particularly chunky in LOL and then take a new picture today and compare it. And then in a a few more months, take another picture and compare it to the one you take today.
  • schnicklefritz1
    schnicklefritz1 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have lost 50 pounds since April and I am struggling with the same thing. I know my clothing fits different, I know I am more fit, I know I have lost 50 stinking pounds...but I don't see it. My trainer just throws fits because I can't stand to look at myself in the mirror. Granted, I am now 234, I am still huge....but I should notice 50 pounds some where. It is a frustrating thing...dang brains getting in the way all the time.

Keep up the good work and keep the faith. I have been taking pictures...my first at 282 in a pair of capris and sports bra, another last week at 238...I have not looked at them side by side yet, I just can't. I am going to wait another month and take another set of pictures, I am hoping to be down at least another 10 pounds by then.

Good luck :#
  • wildskies
    wildskies Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, you may not see it. I've lost 48 lbs but when I look in the mirror I still see the same reflection I saw before I started.

But you will see it at other times or in other ways... When you have a picture taken in a group and you realize you're about the same size as the thin person standing next to you... When you buy your favorite brand of jeans four sizes smaller than the last time you bought them... When someone from your past doesn't recognize you... When someone makes a comment that makes you realize they see you as fit instead of fat... When you make a comment about a picture being good because it makes you look relatively thin and a friend looks at you like you're nuts and says "You ARE relatively thin"...

All of those have happened to me in the last few months and they've really helped me see what the mirror doesn't.
  • slickmickey
    slickmickey Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i guess it's good that i've gotten LESS comments than before - everyone was always asking me when my baby was due, even my mom said i looked pregnant. that hasnt happened since i started losing weight (its ALL belly, i swear i looked 6months pregnant). so thats a plus. i wish i had had the foresight to take a before picture. maybe i'll do that tonight since i still have another 15+ to go before i'm back to where i was 6 years ago (still overweight, but at least just teetering on the overweight side of the BMI scale).

It's nice to know it's not just me that doesnt see it in themselves. i was starting to worry i had one of those body image issues. i guess you see yourself everyday so it just blends together!
  • slickmickey
    slickmickey Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    and congrats to everyone on their weightloss!!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for 5 months and I still look the same to me most days. Silly, because I wear a size smaller pants. It's all in perception; you said your clothes are looser, there you are, seeing it.
  • Nekrachael
    Nekrachael Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You'll "see" it when your skin starts to sag where it used to be stretched around fat. Guess how I know this. ;)
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Pictures.
  • lizzyrose418
    lizzyrose418 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else is saying: PICTURES!

I know for me, I hated looking at myself in the mirror, and avoided pictures at all costs! It took a very long time for me to look in the mirror and be okay with what I saw once I started my weight loss journey. I know I'm not where I want to be, but it's SO important to give yourself credit for the hard work and dedication you are putting in!

You should be so proud of yourself for making these changes and sticking to it! :D
  • Zerodette
    Zerodette Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm almost at 20 pounds and just can't see it yet, granted I have a long way to go still. I did have a pair of jeans fall right off me so there is that.