bodyfat

Options
Just wondering what methods people are using to track body fat...do those machines in boots work? I have calipers but don't trust them...is there an online calculator that can help?

Replies

• 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I take body measurements as well as using a scale.
    Check this link
    http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/body-fat-percentage-calculator
  • jamandlettuce
    Options
    Cool, will have a look at this tomorrow
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I found a place locally that has a Bod Pod. They do the test for $50 USD. It's 98% accurate, so it's not bad for the price. I have my first appointment next week. I found them by googling "bod pod my location." You may have similar luck googling "bod pod your location".

You can also find places locally that do a DEXA scan. It scans for your bone density, but it can also give you your body makeup. I have found places locally that offer them for $100/test, but more often than not you have to have "doctor's orders" for it.

Calipers are ok, but you want metal calibrated calipers if you're going to use them/trust their accuracy. The plastic ones you can buy aren't great or reliable. Even with metal calipers, you can have a +-5% error rate.

The electronic scales/handheld devices are flawed as well. You can get totally different readings based on food waste in your system or how hydrated/dehydrated you are at the time. Plus, the electronic signal can only get so far in your body, so you are likely to get the body fat % of your top half or bottom half depending on what you use (handheld or scale).

I found this link (http://strengthunbound.com/measure-body-fat-easily-accurately-home/) mentioned on here earlier today or this week. It has five of the "more accepted" BF calculations on it. They are all flawed, but you can figure them all out and get an average. (I set up a spreadsheet with the formulas so I only have to input my measurements and Excel does all the work for me.) I did mine, and got anywhere from 14%-30%. When I averaged them though, I got 24.something%, which is actually fairly close to where I am. The link mentions toward the bottom which ones to average with (you only use 4 of the 5 calculations).
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I just go by the mirror myself....
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    combination of calipers, measurements, and the mirror (with comparisons to BF% pictures)
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I use four different methods and then average them:
    1. Bioimpedance (Omron) scale that measures through both hands and feet at the same time.
    2. Skinfold calipers using 1 point (suprailiac) test.
    3. Skinfold calipers using 3 point (Jackson-Pollack?) test.
    4. Tape measure

If I remember correctly, last Saturday's readings in order of above were 11.2%, 14.6%, 12.6% and 12.2%. I don't know which result is the most correct, but I suspect it's number 2 at 14.6%. Although there's a bit of a spread between the different methods, each method has been pretty consistent within plus or minus 2%, and while the numbers might not match up among the different methods, they all show trends.

I don't have the tape measure calculator link on this computer, but the one I normally use has the same measurements as the site linked above, and also has a chest and shoulder measurement, which I think is important for guys.

With a tape measure you also have to decide how you're going to take measurements for consistency. Although I've seen conflicting advice, I've settled on:
    No flexing for bicep, forearm, thigh and calf measurements
    No flexing for hip measurement which includes the glutes
    Fully exhale for shoulder and chest measurements
    Fully exhale for waist measurement

All methods are more consistent if you measure at the same time of day before exercising, eating or drinking anything. First thing in the morning after peeing works for me.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I can't remember what thread it was, but this link was the one given to measure bodyfat
    fat2fittools.com/tools/mbf/
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I'd trust callipers before I'd trust a machine at Boots.

DEXA is the most effective measurement but it's really expensive here. Some Unis do water displacement which is a bit more reasonable. But unless there's a specific reason why you really need to know, I'd just go by free methods (online calculator, scale etc), if you keep using the same method it should give you a general idea of how much you're losing, if not an exact number.
  • jamandlettuce
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone! Unfortunately i live in Cornwall, the deep westcountry of England....we are um,, behind with the times here haha....Luxuries like Bodpods and DEXA either dont exist within a few hundred miles of here or are at private hospitals and very very expensive :( Our Uni here is also not that awesome to have any such equipment :( I tried the measurement thing several times and got on average between 18 and 21....which i still dont trust! I feel loads 'fatter' but i wonder if its sagging skin then rather then actual fat....I have had twins and two other children and never suffered a stretch mark but since my last child i didnt bounce back as tight as before and i wonder if its more psychological the physiological? Guess I'll keep measuring at weekly intervals and go by the difference rather then the actual outcome itself? At least i could monitor any gain or drop.
    Thank you all for your input :)
  • Scarecrowsama
    Scarecrowsama Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Body measurements are useless you are 10% or less. There is one test that is done with a machine, you basically stand in it and it accurately measures your overall body fat, you are going to apologize me but now I forgot how is it called. Is the only way to make sure.

I watched a video time ago of a skinny guy who did the test and he was surprised that he was 18% body fat.