Pregnancy Weight Loss - how long does it take?

Options
Does Pregnancy Weight Really take longer than taking off "other" weight gained? That is my question....

Replies

• EngiAli
    EngiAli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    It can, because there are new factors....breastfeeding (which is not a miracle diet for most. It requires additional calories, can make you very hungry and can be greatly affected by going too low on your calories), then their is healing time (min. 6 wks regardless of how that baby got out), sleep deprivation, less time to cook, shop, eat and workout.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    No...I've never carried a pregnancy to term but I can tell you that weight loss is weight loss...doesn't matter if it's baby weight or not! It took me 9 months to lose my 70lbs...
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Are you working out, Barbara?
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I eat 1700cals mostly all heathy (I have my days lol) and I lift heavy stronglifts 3 times a week, cardio 3 times a week and 30 day crunch challenge this month. I had my son 16 months ago. 209 day i had him, 175 leaving hospital, 155 in April 2012. Maintaining 155 for a year!!! I was 140 prepreg. (some said too skinny) i loved it!!!
  • jakkisr
    jakkisr Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I breastfed my two. Food is really important because your body needs the extra energy to make the milk (not to mention manage the sleepless nights, strange new routines, all the running about, the worry etc etc!). Both times my weight dropped when they were 6 months and I didn't diet.

I've never been truly overweight - best advice I can give is eat healthily for you and your baby (and that means plenty of good protein, carbs, oils, fruit and vegetables etc). Your body has been through a really big change, don't rush weight loss, nature has a way of sorting things out when the time is right. And breast feeding is truly the best thing I've ever done in my life! So rewarding, nothing else compares :) (and mine are 24 and 21 and my grandson is 16 months - my daughter breast fed too and was back to normal weight at 6 months) x
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    13 years for me :tongue:
  • auteurfille22
    auteurfille22 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I think it's just that the body has changed a lot. For many women, metabolism slows down and changes after having one or more children. So it's not necessarily that it has to take longer. But the body has changed and that will affect the rate of weight loss. Breastfeeding also can have a big effect.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    13 years for me :tongue:

LOL, you mean 13 months! Yes....
  • bishkan
    bishkan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It took me 15 months to lose all baby weight. It was only when I got strict about food that I could lose the last 10 pounds. Before that I was running a lot, working out and doing cardio classes but could not shift the last of the baby fat. Its hard to lose all baby weight!
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    I never breast fed so my weight loss at the first was just water weight, weight of baby and then from getting back into the grind of walking and stuff... and put to to 155lbs. Iv'e been the same weight for a while but I have been heavy lifting since the late winter. Feb or something... I notice no change in weight and little little little bit of change in waist and arms. It's not even worth is really. NOT YET!! Im still waiting but I sure as hell dont wanna wait 13 years! omg
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    That's a tough question, and varies from woman to woman. It only took me a month, both times, because my body tends to lose weight as the baby is gaining (and I ate like crazy, so I seriously wasn't starving myself). I can only dream of my regular metabolism being as high as my pregnancy metabolism, LOL!!

6-12 months is common. Years and years is also common, if it's not been a priority for the mother (which I totally get).

Stick with it - it will come off.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    It took me 15 months to lose all baby weight. It was only when I got strict about food that I could lose the last 10 pounds. Before that I was running a lot, working out and doing cardio classes but could not shift the last of the baby fat. Its hard to lose all baby weight!

I want to talk to you!!!! Im gonna send a friend request k. thx
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Yes, it can take longer to lose pregnancy weight, but it depends on the person. I know mothers who lost their pregnancy weight quickly, others don't ever seem to lose it all.

Before getting pregnant I lost 30lbs in about 4 months. It was easy! I kept up my old workout routine, and the only diet change I made was portion control (I was already eating healthy, just too much). Fast forward several months... I gained 36lbs while pregnant, the first 20-ish came off on their own over the first 2 months with minimal calorie counting and absolute minimal exercise (I had a long recovery, only short, slow walks for the first while). The last 15-ish lbs took 4.5 months of busting my butt at the gym to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight. I breastfeed, which I feel is part of why it was so hard to lose the last bit of weight, but I also feel the rate at which I lost was ideal for my body because my milk supply wasn't compromised.

Everybody is different, just keep eating healthy, exercise, and be patient!
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    It took me a little over a year with my first. With my second I did not gain as much, and I lost the weight in a matter of months. I had to go take medication for depression after my second and those made me blow up like a puffer fish. I found the weight gain from that stinking medicine much harder to deal with than the weight gain from either child.
  • AnnaMarieDinVa
    AnnaMarieDinVa Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It definitely depends on the person. I gained 36 lbs with my son, and without trying, I lost 50 lbs by his 4 month checkup. I looked better after I had him than before (and I was regular weight before). NOW...21 years later, I have gained weight by eating too much, and the weight won't budge...I think breastfeeding helped a lot when I lost my pregnancy weight. Good luck!!
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    I think the best advice is Keep eating healthy, keep exercising and be patient. *sigh!!!! I hate waiting.....
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 1 year postpartum, started really losing the weight at 5 months postpartum (found mfp!). I was 9 months pp before the baby weight was off, and now I'm smaller than I was pre-pregnancy (125 lbs now vs. 135 lbs pre-preg), but still have a ways to go before goal.

It's nice to know if you'll struggle more with baby weight or "normal" body fat, but truly, it doesn't really change what you have to do about it, you know? It sounds like you're doing the right things - exercise (incl. strength training) and a caloric deficit. It will come off in time!

I loved being on maternity leave for weight loss reasons - lots of time to meal plan, cook, exercise and focus on my body AND my baby! Somehow I don't think it will be as easy the next go around with (presumably) a toddler by my ankles :smile:. Though I might not get 5 1-hour gym sessions per week then next time, I will also be chasing another child, and hopefully won't start out so overweight!

Take care of your body, push yourself when you get the chance, and the details will sort themselves out.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Guess it depends. I never lost weight faster or more easily than post-pregnancy. But then, I didn't gain a lot, either, and I was very young.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I was also surprised by how quick and easy it came off. So much came off in the first 2 weeks (because it was from baby, placenta, amniotic fluid, increased uterus size, increased blood volume, increased fluids). Then the tiny remaining came off from walking and breastfeeding (I actually got thinner than I wanted to and I was eating a ton). The second time I was more eager to regain my pre-baby fitness level (not just lose the extra pounds) and get back to dancing, and I had been on bed rest the second time (for the last couple months). So, when my baby was almost 6 months I joined the gym (in addition to my outdoor and at home workouts) and was back to my pre-baby body at 7 months postpartum.
  • stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Uhm...my daughter just turned 18, so....I would say this is my opportunity to be a horrible warning instead of a good example!

Way to take care of things now!