Need advise on loss of period.

Options
2»

Replies

• 2thesexydress
    2thesexydress Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Not enough calories can cause a period to stop. If you have been having less than 1200 calories often, this can be the reason.
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I didn't menstruate for about a year when I started my drastic weight loss. It was a combination of an implanted birth control and hormonal changes from losing weight. Your body will get back on track eventually. My doctor wasn't phased about it either, she ordered a blood test and said things would come round eventually
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Your eating seems very regimented for someone with a low BMI. I might listen to your parents. Your life sounds very active and your general health is more important than a scale number or pant size, especially when you're on the low end now.

Good luck!
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I have that problem. My doctor did blood work and my hormones were way off. I had an MRI because she thought i might have a pituitary tumor. That was clear. So she thinks it is because i had gained a bunch of weight to fast. I gained about 30 or so in a few months when i was out of work. Im working to get it off and i have to take Provera every three months because she wants me to have one at least 4 times a year. Fast weight fluctuations really mess with your hormones.
  • sus49
    sus49 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    When I was younger and very thin, fit and active I typically had my period once or twice a year. Apparently many gymnasts, stewardesses and very thin women do not have regular periods. Low weight, High activity and air travel seem to affect it.

However BEWARE: My periods lasted until I was 57 and as I hit perimenopause I gained 100 lbs in less than a year.

If your doctor does not find anything wrong with you, then nothing is wrong with you, but we are BORN with a certain number of eggs and we HAVE to shed them. Having periods until I was 57 was NOT fun!!!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    sus49 wrote: »
    When I was younger and very thin, fit and active I typically had my period once or twice a year. Apparently many gymnasts, stewardesses and very thin women do not have regular periods. Low weight, High activity and air travel seem to affect it.

However BEWARE: My periods lasted until I was 57 and as I hit perimenopause I gained 100 lbs in less than a year.

If your doctor does not find anything wrong with you, then nothing is wrong with you, but we are BORN with a certain number of eggs and we HAVE to shed them. Having periods until I was 57 was NOT fun!!!!

Ok I had no idea, lol! But don't they just die after a certain point though?
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I freaked out a lot when I lost my period as well, but my doc wasn't worried at all: I insisted on getting more check ups, so he sent me to a gynocologist, who also just told me there was nothing to worry about, it's quite normal when losing weight, and congrats on my progress. I asked if I should slow it down, or not lose more, and she said deffinitely not, she would safely advice me to continue as I had.

I am not telling you it's the same for you, but go see your doc, hopefully they'll give you the green light too :)
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    You seem to have at least a couple of issues. I strongly advise you to see your own doctor reasonably soon. Try for an appointment within the week and not be fobbed off to take one in two or three weeks time, as happens here. All the best and start taking proper care of yourself.
  • meganhewkin
    meganhewkin Posts: 10 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    You seem to have at least a couple of issues. I strongly advise you to see your own doctor reasonably soon. Try for an appointment within the week and not be fobbed off to take one in two or three weeks time, as happens here. All the best and start taking proper care of yourself.
    thankfully my doctors have an open waiting room from 8am till lunch time Monday to Friday so I don't have to wait several weeks to see someone :)
    - thanks to everyone who's replied! Every reply has been helpful!