Belly fat

Options
I am 45 have lost 70lbs in the last 2 yrs but can't seem to do anything with the spare tire. I look around and notice much smaller friends with weight in the same area. I'm really interested in finding a way to target this area without some fad fat burner. If you've done it please give me some advise.

Replies

• Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    You can not target fat loss in one single area of body, it's like trying to drink water out of only one side of glass, doesn't work that way. You just have to keep losing weight and once your body fat % goes low enough it should go away. How much is "low enough" depends from your genetics. But my guess would be generally somewhere around 20% it should be gone completely.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    You can not target fat loss in one single area of body, it's like trying to drink water out of only one side of glass, doesn't work that way.

Dead on. "Spot reduction" is a myth and anyone who tells you different is trying to sell you something.
  • Nikita839
    Nikita839 Posts: 10
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss! Stay the course, your body will let go of the fat. Some areas are more stubborn than others. :wink:
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Eating fewer carbs, can help. 100 g/carbs/day while keeping in your calorie range isn't too restrictive. When I went back to eating a few more carbs than I did during weight loss, the extra pounds went right to my middle.
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I always had the same problem until I started running and then it just sort of dropped off! If you're not a runner, I started out with the C25K plan and it was brilliant for me!
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain OP, I think it is just a case of keeping on keeping on and targeting the tummy with some abdominal exercises so when the fatty area does eventually go the muscles around the abs will be toned.

If you go to some of the success stories for apple shaped people you will see that there are a lot of pics to inspire you.

I am not suggesting you are apple shape or any other shape lol...just that it may give you some advice and help with the stories behind losing tummy weight.

I am in the same boat :mad:
  • majoki
    majoki Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think you have to do the all over fat loss by lifting weights. I'm 5'11" and 149.5 lbs right now. Certainly not fat, but I still have a mush belly (it looks flat-ish from the side view, but viewed straight on and sitting/bending you can see how much there is to grab on the front and sides). I also have mushy upper-inner thighs. Running / cardio alone isn't making it go away for me - from everything that I've been reading, it seems that that only (relatively heavy) lifting will do it.

I've had to put off lifting due to back issues, but I'm just about to start lifting again very very soon - looking forward to it =)
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    really watch what you're eating, sometimes that belly is caused by wheat, there's a good book out there called "Wheat Belly" that explains a little bit.
  • viragoeap
    viragoeap Posts: 107
    Options
    Hi, well done with your weight loss so far. Two things have worked for me in losing belly fat.

1) Iv'e cut bread and pasta out of my diet.
    2) Worked on core exercises which have not only helped my weak back but given me better posture which makes my belly look smaller!
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Core strengthening exercises, plyometrics, kettle. Look at Blogilates.com for obliques, lower pooch, fat belly, etc. Go at youtube at the Befit channel and they have all type of videos like walk at home with Lesley Sansome's video, do abs video from Denise Austen, fitness blender, etc, or walk outside. Cut down on soda and bread.