Water?

Options
When you count glasses of water, do you count tea as water intake? Unsweetened ice tea is what I like sometimes, but have never counted it as water.

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way: if you ate some tea leaves and then drank a glass of water, would that stop the water you drank from being water?
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I don't count it, because I've heard it both ways. Anything you drink that isn't water you have to drink twice as much water to stay hydrated. I've also heard the argument that it's just tea leaves and water. I don't count it, but I log both, so there is no confusion.
  • jennifurballs
    jennifurballs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Count it.
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My rule is - if I drink it and it doesn't contain alcohol then it counts. I know others only count it if they drink water.

Some days I just can't stomach that much water without something in it to make it more enticing.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I count it. It's not like the water disappears.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened tea? I count it. But if I sweeten it, then I don't cuz it's no longer water water. But that's just me and how my brain thinks. :drinker:
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If I ordered water and the waitress brought me tea, I wouldn't say, "Same thing."

Water is water. Milk is milk. Tea is tea, soda is soda, whiskey is whiskey.

I'm not saying you can't drink tea. I'm not even saying you can't count tea.

But IMO, water is water.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I check how dilute my urine color is to determine my hydration. If it is pale yellow I am good. Sorry if that is tmi
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I would count it as water. There's 0 of everything in it, except potassium.
  • jennifurballs
    jennifurballs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    "Coffee and tea also count in your tally. Many used to believe that they were dehydrating, but that myth has been debunked. The diuretic effect does not offset hydration."

From.... http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/healthy-beverages
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    This again. Its .1.6l-2l of fluids. There used to be some advice against tean and coffee but that no longer counts.

How much should we drink?

To stay healthy, it's important to replace the fluid we lose when we breathe, sweat or urinate.

We get some fluid from our food but most comes from drinks.

The European Food Safety Authority recommends that women should drink about 1.6 litres of fluid and men should drink about 2.0 litres of fluid per day. That's about eight glasses of 200ml each for a woman, and 10 glasses of 200ml each for a man.

However, the amount a person needs to drink to avoid getting dehydrated will vary depending on a range of factors, including their size, the temperature and how active they are. So, for example, if you're exercising hard in hot weather you'll need to drink more.

All drinks count, including hot drinks such as tea and coffee, but water, milk and fruit juices are the healthiest. It is best to avoid alcoholic drinks.

Try to avoid sugary, soft and fizzy drinks that can be high in added sugars. These can be high in calories and bad for teeth.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You can read a lot more about it in this article which investigates the reasons why.
    Do you really need to drink eight cups of water a day?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24464774