Horseback Riding

Options
Is there an app (free) for iOS that tracks horseback riding? My own searches haven't gotten me far. I know with Runkeeper you can track an "Other", but I would prefer to actually track something that understands more what I am doing.

Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Do you mean track as in produce a GPX track recording where you went, or track as in estimate calories? It looks like EquiTrail does the former but not the latter. According to the Compendium of Physical Activities, energy expenditure in riding varies quite a lot depending on the gait (which fits with my limited experiences in the saddle), so an app that tracked riding calories would need to use the phone's motion sensor to determine the horse's gait. The MapMyRide app claims to allow horseback riding as one of its activities, but I have no idea how it estimates calories. You could give it a try.

I'm not really sure any app "understands" what you're doing. It assigns a label, and presumably uses information on your speed to estimate how many calories you burn. As a cyclist, I find that the estimates that apps give for cycling calories are grossly inflated. One app I tried estimated 60 calories a mile; in reality, I burn more like 30-40 depending on speed and hills.
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Yes, the GPS part. I guess the calories burned is always a sort of estimate anyway. EquiTrail is $4.99. (Yikes) Thanks for the reply though. I will try MapMyRide and see if I like it better for horseback riding than Runkeeper. (Which I use for my walks/runs.)
  • steff274
    steff274 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Track my hack is free ;)
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    steff274 wrote: »
    Track my hack is free ;)

I actually was trying that one but I couldn't get it to work. It has freezing issues when signing up at the birthday part. Looking at reviews, it seems to be a big problem for everyone. :(