BodPod bodyfat results. Now I need advice?? Help!

Options
So, I just went to have a BodPod Test done to determine body fat percentage. I'm 28, female, 5'7'', 131lbs at 26.9 percent body fat. 96lbs lean mass and 34.4 fat. I'm a little upset due to the fact based on googled pics, I put myself at around 20-22% body fat.

I hate being skinny fat!!!! I don't really know what to do now. I started on a bulk diet last weekend eating 2,200 a day meeting my macros to a T.

According to BodPod - my TDEE is 1,195 and an active person should be eating 2,079 cal a day. I lift 5 days week on a push/pull/legs routine. So, I'm assuming I fall under the "active" category.

I couldn't really follow what the girl was telling me after we were done. Not too sure if she knew what she was talking about. I heard her mention 1 time getting down to 109lbs!!!!! Wtf. I'm def not going down that route. She's got written down on the sheet 141lbs as goal. So, I'm assuming I need to stay on a clean bulk, but lower it to 2,079????? I just don't know about cutting bc I feel like I need a better frame of muscle. Although, I do feel like I'm holding some extra fat on the typical places, lower tummy and hips.

Thoughts???? Advice????? I go back in 3 months for a follow up. I'm just scared of going in the wrong direction.

Replies

• BryansBride
    BryansBride Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Oops! My RMR is 1,195 calories. Not my TDEE
  • CariS001
    CariS001 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I would aim for at least 2,000 calories, based on your lifting. Be sure to get around 100g of protein each day.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    seems weird to me, if that is you in your pic I can't see you needing to lose any body fat!
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    If you like the way you look, why in the world would you care what any body fat percentage test says? Why did you even take this test? The mirror method is the best method.
  • BryansBride
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    If you like the way you look, why in the world would you care what any body fat percentage test says? Why did you even take this test? The mirror method is the best method.

Why comment?! There are many reasons why I take the test, among thousands of others who take it. And no, the mirror isn't always the best method. Ever heard of water weight? Bloat? It's good to get a scientific measurement. Plus, as a female, we can often become too critical of ourselves in the mirror.
  • BryansBride
    Options
    seems weird to me, if that is you in your pic I can't see you needing to lose any body fat!

Well thank you
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options

Why are YOU here?

• Aviva92
    edited October 2014
    Options

Why comment?! There are many reasons why I take the test, among thousands of others who take it. And no, the mirror isn't always the best method. Ever heard of water weight? Bloat? It's good to get a scientific measurement. Plus, as a female, we can often become too critical of ourselves in the mirror.

well, you're becoming too critical of yourself based on a test, so....

what exactly does the number mean? if you look good, i'm failing to see why this number matters and you really haven't given a good reason.
  • BryansBride
    Options
    I'm reaching out for others' advice and opinions. Wondering if anyone else is in my boat? Lighten up will you?! Sorry not sorry if I'm a huge critic for myself! You can't set and reach goals if you aren't critical. At least I'm trying my best to do what I need to do!

well, you're becoming too critical of yourself based on a test, so....

what exactly does the number mean? if you look good, i'm failing to see why this number matters and you really haven't given a good reason.

I'm reaching out for others' advice and opinions. Wondering if anyone else is in my boat? Lighten up will you?! Sorry not sorry if I'm a huge critic for myself! You can't set and reach goals if you aren't critical. At least I'm trying my best to do what I need to do! And the reason I'm asking is because I have some places on me where I feel like I could lose some fat, but I know you can't spot reduce or simultaneously lose fat/gain muscle. I was curious what people would suggest! Cut and lose more fat and potentially muscle, or just start a clean bulk.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It didn't make you happy and you doubt the results are accurate - so my question is why would you even think about going back in 3 months for another BodPod scan?
    DEXA scan or hydrostatic test may be better if you really need numbers as validation of progress.
  • BryansBride
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    It didn't make you happy and you doubt the results are accurate - so my question is why would you even think about going back in 3 months for another BodPod scan?
    DEXA scan or hydrostatic test may be better if you really need numbers as validation of progress.

It was only $40. I'll give it another shot for comparison and go by the second test whether or not I keep using it. I guess my expectations were a lower body fat, which I'm sure I'm not the only one. I live in central Mississippi, no chance on a DEXA or hydro scan, that I'm aware of.

• ScottJTyler
    ScottJTyler Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Body fat tests are good for getting an objective, quantitative gauge of progress. They can usually accurately and precisely detect changes in BF level but not necessarily give an accurate starting number.
    Maybe look into getting a BF scale they are only £30-£40 and do the job of tracking tissue change.
    As far as TDEE/RMR goes - just keep your calories and activity constant and observe (as best you can with scales and mirror) the fat and muscle changes. Then adjust calories accordingly e.g. if you're gaining weight too fast (more than about 1lb per week) then drop calories and vice versa.
    Like someone previously said you look plenty lean as it is and as you're posting in the 'gaining weight' part of the forums I'd say go for a slight overestimate of calories to start with and go from there.
  • prasadsurve
    prasadsurve Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    >>>I lift 5 days week on a push/pull/legs routine. So, I'm assuming I fall under the "active" category.
    No. If you have an office job which involves seating most of the time, then you fall in sedentary category. You should add the exercises you do to your Exercise tab in MFP to be able to eat additional calories which you burned in exercising.
  • in_the_stars
    Options
    Sorry... the bodyfat scales are useless.
    Way to welcome a new member of MFP. Silly people.
  • BryansBride
    Options
    >>>I lift 5 days week on a push/pull/legs routine. So, I'm assuming I fall under the "active" category.
    No. If you have an office job which involves seating most of the time, then you fall in sedentary category. You should add the exercises you do to your Exercise tab in MFP to be able to eat additional calories which you burned in exercising.

Actually, I'm a licensed physical therapist assistant so I'm up treating patients in the clinic 8 hrs a day. I rarely sit longer than 5 minutes during the day. The only day I'm sedentary is mostly weekends.
  • BryansBride
    Options

Yeah, I've always heard the BF scales and body calipers are the most inaccurate.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Interesting...I commented that I can't imagine your body fat is that high and it's gone, but now I see you seem a little sensitive and must have misterpreted
  • in_the_stars
    Options

Yeah, I've always heard the BF scales and body calipers are the most inaccurate.

Exactly. :)

• BryansBride
    Options
    Interesting...I commented that I can't imagine your body fat is that high and it's gone, but now I see you seem a little sensitive and must have misterpreted

I posted this same topic under another thread, it's still there :-) I haven't deleted any comments. Thanks for your feedback!
  • Aviva92
    Options

Why are YOU here?

why not?