Accuracy of Polar FT7.

Options
I have been using this religiously, past few weeks now. I cannot leave home without it for my daily workout or even walking. The calories expenditure it shows up seems to be accurate as whenever I put in the exercise on the MFP it more or less comes up the same or even, my one comes up much more ( but I know I do go hardcore than most) so perhaps that's why.
My question is, has anyone used this HR monitor and how did it go for you?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I used a FT7 for the time I was losing weight and also while maintaining and it worked fine. I ate back all my exercise calories as given by the FT7 by the way.

No-one can tell you if it's accurate though. Maybe I just adjusted my intake to the correct amount based on actual weight loss results? I've now switched to a more sophisticated HRM (FT60 with custom max HR and VO2 max settings to match my tested results). It reads very differently to the FT7 - much lower on low intensity long duration cardio but a bit higher on very high intensity cardio.

BTW wouldn't suggest using a HRM for ordinary walking, your HR is probably well out of the range where accuracy should be reasonable. Online walking calculators or trackers would be more suitable and likely to be more accurate as well.

Remember to keep updating your weight in the FT7 settings as it does have an impact.
  • Shalvia62
    Options
    I have the FT7 (upgraded from the FT4) and I question the calorie burn. I weigh 75-80 lbs more than my husband and when we cycle the same distance and speed his burn is about twice mine.