Water Weight

Options
I've been really sick (normal cold) and I've been drinking tons and TONS of fluids, including homemade vegetable soup, teas, iced teas, water, etc. I've drunk so much I feel nauseous, but I still drink. Also, when I looked into the mirror, it seemed like I am fatter than before. I mean, this week was kinda bad. It was my birthday so I ate birthday cake (whole wheat) and a burger for lunch (not healthy) and the rest of the week I tried staying healthy. I don't know if water weight is true and I really want to get slim for the holidays. Do you have any advice, please?

Replies

• LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Could be water gain. But why do you drink to the point of being nauseous? That's over-doing it, imo. Hope you get well soon, though.
  • Popp28
    Popp28 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you feel nauseous you should stop drinking, you should sip it throughout the day not gulp it all at once :smile: but you can drink too much, it's pretty hard to do but it can make you quite poorly. hope you feel better soon, also - water weight is totally real and instead of drinking tons try to reduce your sodium and see if that helps xx
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Water weight is nothing to worry about. It doesn't make you fatter, it doesn't prohibit fat loss. Just drink adequate fluids each day (not to the point of nausea), and monitor your weight trends, not your daily or weekly weights. Daily and weekly weights can be greatly affected by water weight where as your weight's trend, in the long run, will be going down if you are losing fat.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a physical or mental issue and the doctors have told you to drink when you aren't thirsty, trust your thirst. Keep track of what you drink and try to take in around eight 8oz glasses a day...but don't force liquid down your throat until you're nauseated.

It is good to drink when you have a cold. It helps break up that mucus. But don't go insane and make yourself sick.

What you see in the mirror is likely to be based on your perception. It is unlikely that you gained enough weight to make a difference in so short a time.

Go see the doctor. Discuss your water issue. Discuss safe weight loss. Get some expert advice. This whole thing seems odd and would probably be best handled by a professional.

Good luck!