Fitbit: Do you eat the calories?

Options
I've had my Fitbit for a while, but I haven't connected it to MFP because I don't understand what it's telling me. Do you eat the calories it gives you, and if so, does it work for you?

For example, I just got back from the store and it gave me ~150 exercise calories. For walking around the store?

Basically, I'm wanting to know more about it so I don't eat the calories and regret it. I don't generally eat back exercise calories anyway, so it might not matter.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    That 150 will adjust each time you sync, so you may end up earning more or less. I eat them back, trying to leave about 50-100 calories since it's also an estimate.
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I try to eat some back.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    No because calories for walking around at a store or your job are already accounted for when you set your activity level.

I do eat back calories when I run/cycle/ or a very small amount for when I lift weights.
  • dorkyfaery
    dorkyfaery Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I use the calories given to me by MFP as the target calories I want to eat for the day. Syncing your fitbit is not a guarantee that you will get to "eat back" calories. If you set it the way I have, it will actually deduct calories if you are less active than you say you are on an average day, so even though you might have "earned" 150 calories walking through the store, if you didn't do anything else the rest of the day you still might lose calories. If that makes sense.
  • SoFLpeg
    SoFLpeg Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Generally every last one of them, or most anyway. Your base calories assume a certain level of activity. If you do more than that, you "earn" more calories. You are still at a deficit. For just a few earned from other than purposeful exercise, you can choose not to or choose to and it won't matter much. But for me, given I run long distances I ate them while losing, I eat them maintaining. I need to fuel those long runs.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I don't, I found my fitbit to be so horribly inaccurate that I bought a second. It was equally inaccurate. I look at their input as nice, but non-actionable data.
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Yes! Omg yes! But then I tell both fitbit and MFP that I'm sedentary - when I know that I really am not - not even close.

I have MFP set to create the deficit I want - if I move at all - fitbit tells MFP I've got off my butt and done something. So MFP has my deficit covered - fitbit rewards me for doing something - anything - more than sitting on my butt!

At the beginning of this week I tried going over to TDEE with a deficit - but I just couldn't make it work for me - I've had to give it up already - it seems counterintuitive to eat the same amount each day regardless of activity.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I set my activity level to sedentary, link with fitbit and eat back every last calorie. I've been doing it that way for about 6 months and so far it seems accurate for me. I know others do not find it so, so I imagine it's at least somewhat individual.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I have been eating back all my fitbit calories for almost two years and it has been accurate enough for me to bulk, cut and maintain.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Still waiting for a good Fitbit. Maybe by Christmas they will release it. Kinda surprised it is not out yet, but I think they do not want another Fitbit Force mess.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Fitbit, like every calorie counter I know, underestimates my needs, so I lose if I eat my fitbit maintenance calories/mfp maintenance calories set to highly active (whichever is the higher). But I'm weird and not trying to lose fast.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Still waiting for a good Fitbit. Maybe by Christmas they will release it. Kinda surprised it is not out yet, but I think they do not want another Fitbit Force mess.

I've got the clip (can't remember if that's the actual name). I clip it to my bra and I've found it to be accurate as far as steps go.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. :smile: It's very helpful!
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One too, and I clip it to my bra most of the time. I eat enough to stay in a 300 calorie or so deficit, more some days, I am trying to lose slowly and steadily and keep my muscle, I also lift and I need to eat enough to support that. It is working for me, although I don't lose for a while, then I will lose a few pounds all at once. I have to say I don't find it accurate for me, if I ate what it said, I would lose too fast and lose muscle, and I don't want that...I am getting close to goal and the closer you are the more important it is to keep the muscle and lose the fat. I do think I have learned how to work with it, but do I take it as gospel? No way, it is always under what I actually burn, and I am not wrong about that or I would be gaining not losing. I have had the bit for a few months.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I eat all of mine back. It slightly underestimates calorie burns for me.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I set MFP to sedentary with 1 pound per week loss and then eat back the calories fitbit adds based on my activity. Over the last 5 weeks since I started using this method, my logging would predict a 5.1 pound weight loss and I actually lost 5.2. So, it's very accurate for me. Its a great method to make sure you are fueling your body more on days you are active. Gives me an incentive to stay active...I can eat more!