Anyone else have trouble with CHEESE?!

Options
i don't know what it is, but I can't seem to get cheese out of my diet successfully. It always creeps up on me and gets me in the end. I can't seem to go even a day without eating it. Anyone else have this as their weakness?

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with cheese? It's a good protein source and calcium....do you have a medical condition that requires you to limit/eliminate it? Otherwise, I'd log and enjoy....
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Cheese is not the problem its how much you eat of it that matters. Cheese is a good source of calcium and protein. Are you eating only one basic commercial type brand or do you buy a variety of quality cheese.

Like any problem food, the way to deal with it is to introduce more vegetables and other nutritious foods such as lentils and beans and chickpeas and fruit.

I like to include small amounts of cheese say about anything up to 40g depending on my weight or the dish in other dishes. Cheese makes thing more interesting so it would be a shame to give it up completely. As my diet has gone on this year, i've certainly brought it right into the centre as an important part of my diet but then i don't eat meat. Don't eat meat and cheese in the same meal. Meat is strong flavoured and doesn't need the extra help.

Also you may find unsweetened full cream yoghurt helpful. Fresh ricotta cheese is nice with fruit especially strawberries.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I fit it in when I can.
    I also buy the 2% cheese occasionally, and it allows me to have more! I've also found a couple brands that taste and melt just as well as their full fat counterparts.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    cheese is a huge part of my diet. for one thing, it makes things more satisfying and makes me less likely to long for something better. for another thing calcium can be a huge issue when cutting calories, especially for women. so can protein. cheese gives you both. i cut meat down a lot. eat cheese quite often, as an accent to a salad or a thin slice on a turkey sandwich. or even babybel cheese rounds as a quick snack. fruit and cottage cheese for dessert.... if you are going vegan or are lactose intolerant i wouldnt suggest it though. lol.

i weigh my cheese or buy it in single servings or slices. i dont just bring it to the couch and pull this... youtube.com/watch?v=GxqycijBUn0
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Cheese is a very minor part of my diet. I feel so much better without it. It's just too loaded with saturated fat and sodium to be worth the high calories. It took me several weeks to weed it out of my diet. While I still eat cheese on occasion, it is now 10% or less of my total weekly calories. Most days it is zero percent. It has taken me several months to get to where I can only eat a small amount and then stop. A little bit now and then is all I eat, because I too can go way overboard on cheese. I too got too many calories (and saturated fat and sodium) from cheese, cottage cheese and more cheese. It just takes time and patience. You'll get there.
  • chadya07
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    Cheese is not the problem its how much you eat of it that matters. Cheese is a good source of calcium and protein. Are you eating only one basic commercial type brand or do you buy a variety of quality cheese.

Like any problem food, the way to deal with it is to introduce more vegetables and other nutritious foods such as lentils and beans and chickpeas and fruit.

I like to include small amounts of cheese say about anything up to 40g depending on my weight or the dish in other dishes. Cheese makes thing more interesting so it would be a shame to give it up completely. As my diet has gone on this year, i've certainly brought it right into the centre as an important part of my diet but then i don't eat meat. Don't eat meat and cheese in the same meal. Meat is strong flavoured and doesn't need the extra help.

Also you may find unsweetened full cream yoghurt helpful. Fresh ricotta cheese is nice with fruit especially strawberries.

good point about mixing meat and cheese. i also dont mix, its one or the other, cheese as a main protein or meat or fish or beans.... rarely do any of them have to comingle exept in the case of tacos and burritos because you dont mess with perfection.

• ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    LOL! I hear you! I'm also a cheese addict. Right now I have a Costco double pack of Mexican mix shredded cheese, a large bag of Italian mix and a 2lb block of Special Reserve Extra Sharp Cheddar. The thing is...I really hate to run out of cheese or even be close to running out. I have limited myself to half an ounce of sliced cheese on a sandwich, and I weigh out shredded cheese to give me around half an ounce per serving. It isn't much, but it gives me a little bit of the cheese that I love so much. For as much as I keep around, I'm being extremely sparing with it's use.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Cheese was my drug of choice.
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you want cheese? It's so good...
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm. Cheese. I'm a Quebecer. Cheese is sacred.

I deal with this by being a cheese snob. I make space in my caloric intake for really good cheese. The so-so or fake cheese, on the other hand, I'll skip, as it's not worth the calories.
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Mmmmm. Cheese. I'm a Quebecer. Cheese is sacred.

I deal with this by being a cheese snob. I make space in my caloric intake for really good cheese. The so-so or fake cheese, on the other hand, I'll skip, as it's not worth the calories.

Good cheese or no cheese. Best philosophy ever.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Seriously. I once ordered a wrap at a restaurant in Calgary and was asked if I wanted Swiss or Cheddar. So I said Cheddar. But what she really meant was, do I want white plastic fake cheese or yellow plastic fake cheese? SO GROSS!!!

Bad cheese is a crime against food.

(Side note: One of my biggest traps is a good beer and cheese tasting. Local craft beer + local raw milk cheese = far too many calories but OH SO GOOD! Maybe I'll limit this to once a year so I can really look forward to it, hein?)
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I'm not looking to completely cut it out, I just need to learn how to stop using it as a calorie filler. I suck at thinking of stuff to eat. Haha. If I'm not careful sometimes in the past I didn't eat enough.
  • fishcat123
    fishcat123 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Personally, I love love love certain kinds of cheese and have trouble not eating a lot of them, but I'm less crazy about others. I've replaced the kinds I love with the kinds I'm more "meh" about - they satisfy my want for cheese but I don't feel tempted to eat a lot. Maybe that would work for you?
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I have a love affair with goat cheese, especially when paired with fruit and/or wine - luckily it usually has much less calories than cow's milk cheese!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Cheese is fantastic, but you have to use portion control . Imo go for cottage cheese or very strong flavoured cheeses or if you like the taste then the low fat cheeses with fewer calories. Other than cottage cheese then I mostly use my calories elsewhere because id rather eat other stuff.
  • mrfred
    mrfred Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    give examples of what you put cheese on. maybe people could give you some ideas on how to substitute it with something healthier. My sister is hard core vegan and tells me all these crazy facts to help me out. Turns out dairy food is usually inflammatory and should be minimized as much as possible. It is great addition in a bacon breakfast burrito though...
  • chadya07
    Options
    mrfred wrote: »
    give examples of what you put cheese on. maybe people could give you some ideas on how to substitute it with something healthier. My sister is hard core vegan and tells me all these crazy facts to help me out. Turns out dairy food is usually inflammatory and should be minimized as much as possible. It is great addition in a bacon breakfast burrito though...

i am having a hard time finding reliable proof on the internet to back up the statement that dairy is inflammatory. on blogs and alternative medicine, health food sites maybe. but i am seeking actual medical studies and all i see is "this has not been proven" and that it is the saturated fat in whole dairy, and not the dairy itself. and it seems it isnt an issue for people without underlying causes of inflammation (i.e arthritis, etc)

good suggestion to ask for alternatives though. avocado is a great substitute although it isnt low in fat by any means. so calorie wise you could be even worse off. dairy wise you would be sans lactose.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I used to eat so much of it! Just make room in your calories for it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I love cheese and eat it probably every day.