caloric deflict question?

Options
hey everyone. i was wondering if its okay to eat 1000 to 1200 a day and on saturday or sunday eat 3000-4000 to make up for my week of been at a very low calorie deflict? ive been having cheat meal every week or sometimes every other week and manage to cheat under 2500 calories. but today cheat meal was crazy.. . lmfaooo. i had a chicken fried rice (serving for two), sweet and sour chicken(serving for 2), an egg roll, a king size twix, a small bag of cheetos, and mini moon pie, two fried wings and a small thing of fries. awwwww man that was my biggest cheat meal, today was crazzzzzy. feels good tho man, feels real good. now of course tommarrow its back to chicken breast and brown rice but im not beating myself of about eating like this because i only eat 1200 calories during the week and i know i cant possibly gain weight in one day. what are yall thoughts?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    A lot of people do this and use a weekly total of calories. So long as you're in a deficit, you'll lose.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    If you eat 1000 6x a week and 3000 1x you will average like 1200 cals. Which is too low for almost everyone. You'd average closer to 1600 eating the higher ends of your proposed limits. Which is better, but doesn't mean it's necessarily appropriate. You need to know what your caloric maintenance needs are and then create a healthy, 20% max deficit from there. Then go ahead and divide your calories for the week as you'd like.

Overall I'd say you're possibly not eating enough, based on the fact that you are eating a few hundred below your goal consistently AND not eating back your exercise calories. Unless you are specifically eating in this way to ensure that you average a net of 1600ish, but you do not seem to be consuming your exercise calories in any way.

Also, there's no need to eat a bro diet to lose weight. Chicken and rice, where's your fat? On average, looking through your diary, you're not eating enough fat for your weight.

THe approach you are outlining is fine. But you really need to properly calculate your caloric maintenance needs because with 18lbs left to lose, you're not going to enjoy the process if you have to be netting less than 1000 calories in the near future or even less.
  • shonako
    shonako Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    If you eat 1000 6x a week and 3000 1x you will average like 1200 cals. Which is too low for almost everyone. You'd average closer to 1600 eating the higher ends of your proposed limits. Which is better, but doesn't mean it's necessarily appropriate. You need to know what your caloric maintenance needs are and then create a healthy, 20% max deficit from there. Then go ahead and divide your calories for the week as you'd like.

Overall I'd say you're possibly not eating enough, based on the fact that you are eating a few hundred below your goal consistently AND not eating back your exercise calories. Unless you are specifically eating in this way to ensure that you average a net of 1600ish, but you do not seem to be consuming your exercise calories in any way.

Also, there's no need to eat a bro diet to lose weight. Chicken and rice, where's your fat? On average, looking through your diary, you're not eating enough fat for your weight.

THe approach you are outlining is fine. But you really need to properly calculate your caloric maintenance needs because with 18lbs left to lose, you're not going to enjoy the process if you have to be netting less than 1000 calories in the near future or even less.

thanks for the reply! i dont know why but i used to eat like crazy but now since im dieting i find it hard to a lil over 1300 calories. i eat alot of healthy foods during the week but when i log in what all i ate i alway hit 1000-1300 calories. i dont be hungry. maby i should start including some high calorie foods in my diet insted of always buying low calorie food. hmmm.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's okay with me.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    shonako wrote: »
    hey everyone. i was wondering if its okay to eat 1000 to 1200 a day and on saturday or sunday eat 3000-4000 to make up for my week of been at a very low calorie deflict? ive been having cheat meal every week or sometimes every other week and manage to cheat under 2500 calories. but today cheat meal was crazy.. . lmfaooo. i had a chicken fried rice (serving for two), sweet and sour chicken(serving for 2), an egg roll, a king size twix, a small bag of cheetos, and mini moon pie, two fried wings and a small thing of fries. awwwww man that was my biggest cheat meal, today was crazzzzzy. feels good tho man, feels real good. now of course tommarrow its back to chicken breast and brown rice but im not beating myself of about eating like this because i only eat 1200 calories during the week and i know i cant possibly gain weight in one day. what are yall thoughts?

Ya know....sometimes we just have to overdo it a bit. If I would have been there with you, I would have grabbed those two servings of sweet and sour and eaten them myself. :smiley:

A lot of people have less on some days, more on others. The week's balance is what counts.
  • edvsoreos
    edvsoreos Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    "... but now since im dieting i find it hard to a lil over 1300 calories"

The biggest problem is this 'diet' is not sustainable. Your body is likely starting to feel starved and your metabolism is likely slowing. Your young, so the impacts will take longer, but eventually your cravings will get stronger and more frequent. At the same time, your will power/motivation will likely weaken. This is why most people tend to gain back the weight they lost plus some on any diet. You need to stay out of starvation mode because that success is only temporary. ana3067 provided some great advice. I would recommend you target a net of 1500 cals/day for a few weeks and check the results. Never go below 1400 unless you are like 4'10".

Your making decent food choices from what I see. You should add 1 - 2 oz of raw mixed nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts, hazel nuts, etc.....stay away from peanuts and cashews) to your day and/or a teaspoon of olive oil and vinegar to a salad. Your a little short on veggies on the few days I looked at, so I would suggest a cup of mixed veggies or broccoli. Think of your other nutrient needs also...more to life than fat, protein, & carbs.

Good luck.
  • cocomoke
    Options
    edvsoreos wrote: »

The biggest problem is this 'diet' is not sustainable. Your body is likely starting to feel starved and your metabolism is likely slowing. Your young, so the impacts will take longer, but eventually your cravings will get stronger and more frequent. At the same time, your will power/motivation will likely weaken. This is why most people tend to gain back the weight they lost plus some on any diet. You need to stay out of starvation mode because that success is only temporary. ana3067 provided some great advice. I would recommend you target a net of 1500 cals/day for a few weeks and check the results. Never go below 1400 unless you are like 4'10".

Your making decent food choices from what I see. You should add 1 - 2 oz of raw mixed nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts, hazel nuts, etc.....stay away from peanuts and cashews) to your day and/or a teaspoon of olive oil and vinegar to a salad. Your a little short on veggies on the few days I looked at, so I would suggest a cup of mixed veggies or broccoli. Think of your other nutrient needs also...more to life than fat, protein, & carbs.

Good luck.

Thanks for your great info here especially the part about being shorter 4'10" that is me and too many people think i can eat the same as they do, nope not if I want to stay in a healthy weight range.
  • jennifurballs
    jennifurballs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    You need to stay out of starvation mode

That should be easy since there's no such thing.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

She's not in starvation mode. Starvation mode is not a result of amount of calories, but the result of the loss of a certain amount of body fat and muscle. The Minnesota Starvation Experiment is a perfect example, as are people in third world countries were there is very little food. The common dieter does not experience starvation mode, and neither does someone who is a normal weight or overweight.

• shonako
    Options

Good luck.
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Ya know....sometimes we just have to overdo it a bit. If I would have been there with you, I would have grabbed those two servings of sweet and sour and eaten them myself. :smiley:

A lot of people have less on some days, more on others. The week's balance is what counts.

haha awww man that sweet n sour chicken had really hit the spot too! thanks for your reply tho!
  • shonako
    Options

Good luck.

great reply. thanks for your advise! i will def start aiming to eat no less than 1500 calories a day. And also including more veggies and healthy fats.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

Good luck.

great reply. thanks for your advise! i will def start aiming to eat no less than 1500 calories a day. And also including more veggies and healthy fats.
    PBI nothing wrong with peanuts or cashhews. I eat so much PB lol. And I used to love cashews, haven't eaten them in a long time. You can get fat from butter if you want, doesn't matter.