Don't feel like I'm eating my all calories with the diet plan my personal trainer gave me? Help

Options
2»

Replies

• BeyMe
    BeyMe Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    BeyMe wrote: »
    The meal plan he gave you is for bikini competition prep - it will make you lean out FAST. So if that's your goal, keep on it. Which bring up the question again - what are your goals?

I'm 5'9 I want to get down to at least between 130-150. I'm 202 right now.

Thats a great goal - but I think the trainer has put some unrealistic expectations on you. Is the diet he gave you a drastic change? And do you think you'll be able to keep up with it for a prolonged period of time?

Just some questions that you need to ask yourself. I asked myself these same questions - and I personalized my diet plan so I can keep eating things like potatoes, bread (very limited), and rice.

And of course, the weekly cheat meal!

Thank you. Hopefully I'm able to reach it. I've tried this many times by myself and I'm only able to lose 25 pounds before I fall off. I'm pretty much use to counting my calories but this meal plan is difficult for me because I'm not reaching 1200 and I know that isn't right. I'm not sure if I'm not logging the foods correctly or what.. I like the plan though.. it's easy for me to do during the day while at work and it challenges me to not eat out. Again, I just want to make sure I'm consuming enough calories. I want a healthy diet. I'm thinking maybe I should keep the plan and add things to the meals.. like fruits and different veggies. I'm just not sure what to do. I feel like I'm missing something as far as understanding this meal plan. I know he told me he wants me to have lots of protein and low carbs and fats. Maybe that's what this plan is designed to do.
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Keep the yolks in your eggs, there's nothing wrong with eating those :) so that will bring the calories up. And with your morning oatmeal - you can add a fruit or something to spice it up. Lastly, I stand by my previous protein shake comment, they come in many flavors and you can cook with protein powder too
  • BeyMe
    Options
    ChrisM8971 wrote: »
    S/he didn't explain why your calories are set that low, or how these restrictions are supposed to help you? Keep in mind that most personal trainers have no nutrition education. I would question his or her qualifications to make such a plan, and also ask for an explanation of the plan itself.

His qualifications aren't my concern, I knows he's qualified. I just want to make sure I'm eating enough and/or logging the foods correctly. I mean, if you have any other useful suggestions like, other things I could eat or even a better meal plan that would be helpful.

I tend to disagree because your health is your concern so you should be concerned about your trainers qualifications. Like a nutritionist there are a lot of good & bad ones out there and obtaining qualifications for both isn't always very demanding.

However I would suggest that you add in the whole egg rather than egg whites because the yolk is where all the good stuff is.

Use some olive oil to cook with or to drizzle onto salads/veggies

Also nuts/seeds and nut butters can be well worth adding in to your diet.

All of which will increase your daily calories if they are too low

Most of all get a set of digital kitchen scales, weigh and log accurately what you eat then you will know what the calories add up to :smile:

Thank you. I was thinking on just adding things to the meals.. but I'm just not sure what. I also have a scale that I just bought. What about the lunch and dinner? would you suggesting adding something else to those?
  • BeyMe
    Options
    Keep the yolks in your eggs, there's nothing wrong with eating those :) so that will bring the calories up. And with your morning oatmeal - you can add a fruit or something to spice it up. Lastly, I stand by my previous protein shake comment, they come in many flavors and you can cook with protein powder too

I have body by VI. I just haven't put them to great use. Thank you for the suggestions... Also, what about lunch and dinner should I be adding a little something extra as well?
  • harlequin0318
    Options
    Well, dinner should be your smallest meal of the day - so maybe for lunch you can add 1/2 an avocado, brown rice, or make your chicken into a chicken sandwich or wrap (be sure to log your condiments as those calories can add up)
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    S/he didn't explain why your calories are set that low, or how these restrictions are supposed to help you? Keep in mind that most personal trainers have no nutrition education. I would question his or her qualifications to make such a plan, and also ask for an explanation of the plan itself.

His qualifications aren't my concern, I knows he's qualified. I just want to make sure I'm eating enough and/or logging the foods correctly. I mean, if you have any other useful suggestions like, other things I could eat or even a better meal plan that would be helpful.

I tend to disagree because your health is your concern so you should be concerned about your trainers qualifications. Like a nutritionist there are a lot of good & bad ones out there and obtaining qualifications for both isn't always very demanding.

However I would suggest that you add in the whole egg rather than egg whites because the yolk is where all the good stuff is.

Use some olive oil to cook with or to drizzle onto salads/veggies

Also nuts/seeds and nut butters can be well worth adding in to your diet.

All of which will increase your daily calories if they are too low

Most of all get a set of digital kitchen scales, weigh and log accurately what you eat then you will know what the calories add up to :smile:

Thank you. I was thinking on just adding things to the meals.. but I'm just not sure what. I also have a scale that I just bought. What about the lunch and dinner? would you suggesting adding something else to those?

I would add lots of things into that day but thats because I think its a diet thats way too restrictive and will be extremely difficult to stick too for any length of time.

There is absolutely no reason why you should restrict vegetables so harshly so increase those, also that diet seems very low on carbohydrates, your trainer might be a fan of that method but looks to have got the balance wrong. He seems to be compensating with increased protein rather than fats. The two foods the body should use for fuel are carbs or fats if eating low carb.

I would definitely question this guys nutritional qualifications because that seems a long way from being a balanced healthy diet
  • ChrisM8971
    Options
    Well, dinner should be your smallest meal of the day - so maybe for lunch you can add 1/2 an avocado, brown rice, or make your chicken into a chicken sandwich or wrap (be sure to log your condiments as those calories can add up)

Why should dinner be the smallest meal of the day? Many people, including myself have successfully lost a lot of weight eating most of my calories after 6 PM

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    His qualifications aren't my concern, I knows he's qualified.
    A qualified personal trainer or a qualified nutritionist?
    There's a world of difference. My son is a qualified PT and didn't study nutrition at all.

"Not my concern" is a strange thing to say about your health!

By the way if "MFP always calculates 1200" for you my guess is you are probably setting an aggressive weight loss goal. It doesn't have to be that way.

Seriously think you should step back and consider where you want to be in one month and one year from now. Try thinking longer term.

• harlequin0318
    Options

Why should dinner be the smallest meal of the day? Many people, including myself have successfully lost a lot of weight eating most of my calories after 6 PM

Props! But its just about splitting your calories for the day - since breakfast is supposed to be the biggest meal of the day (because you expend most of your calories during the day), then its only logical that dinner would be less, and should be less - because unless you run in your sleep - you're not using those excess calories to much benefit. EXCEPT in the case of doing fasting cardio each morning, then feel free to eat big before bed cuz you'll need it for that morning run :p

• BeyMe
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    His qualifications aren't my concern, I knows he's qualified.
    A qualified personal trainer or a qualified nutritionist?
    There's a world of difference. My son is a qualified PT and didn't study nutrition at all.

"Not my concern" is a strange thing to say about your health!

By the way if "MFP always calculates 1200" for you my guess is you are probably setting an aggressive weight loss goal. It doesn't have to be that way.

Seriously think you should step back and consider where you want to be in one month and one year from now. Try thinking longer term.

It seems you didn't understand what I wrote. I stated his qualifications aren't my concern because, I have done my research and I KNOW he is qualified. I wouldn't be paying someone who didn't know what they were doing. My only concern is what I'm eating and making sure I'm eating ENOUGH. So yes, I'm concerned about the right thing. Thanks.

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    If he's qualified to give nutrition advice, and you're paying him for it, then your question about his diet plan might best be answered by him.
  • ChrisM8971
    edited October 2014
    Options

Props! But its just about splitting your calories for the day - since breakfast is supposed to be the biggest meal of the day (because you expend most of your calories during the day), then its only logical that dinner would be less, and should be less - because unless you run in your sleep - you're not using those excess calories to much benefit. EXCEPT in the case of doing fasting cardio each morning, then feel free to eat big before bed cuz you'll need it for that morning run :p

I am pretty sure that the big breakfast getting smaller through the day is an outdated concept, in fact that goes for meal timing in general, but if its something that works for you then you should continue. But is almost certainly more to do with adherence than anything else

Also if you are in a calorie deficit then it really doesn't matter when you eat those calories because you will either burn them or body fat either way.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    have you tried scanning all meals using the app on your phone. 886 doesnt sound right. If it is right then try upping some of the meat and fish. 1200 personally i feel is low still but you might be ok on it. did you put a loss of 2 pounds per week into the mfp tool if so i think thats the standard calorie goal. I am 5ft 8 and i tried 1200 and it was just too low for me. i preferred 1500. Have you just tried eating your everyday foods but keeping to your daily intake, thats exactly what i did.

Paying a qualified person is not necessary.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options

I am pretty sure that the big breakfast getting smaller through the day is an outdated concept but if its something that works for you then you should continue. But is almost certainly more to do with adherence than anything else

Also if you are in a calorie deficit then

Studies have shown that meal timing has no impact on weight loss, except as regards binging triggers. If eating a certain portion of your calories at certain times makes you then want to snack more than is advisable, that would be when you might want to change meal times/amounts.

For example, I find it easier to stick with my goals if I skip breakfast. Then I'm not hungry until around 2 p.m. If I force myself to eat breakfast, then I'll be hungry before lunch and want a snack. Now I've eaten about 400 calories before I've even gotten to lunch, and it sets up a whole day of snacking.
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    If he's qualified to give nutrition advice, and you're paying him for it, then your question about his diet plan might best be answered by him.

yes really they should give you a month food plan that you can follow
  • Ethereal_Whisper
    Ethereal_Whisper Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy the meal plan, then great. But i would really recommend that you add more to it, as others have stated. Do you have MFP set to lose 2 pounds a week? If so, that may be your issue. Eat what you like, but in moderation. Personally, i would get extremely bored with the repetition in this meal plan and i'd end up cheating a few times(which, with as low of calories as it is, would probably be beneficial).

Some questions you should ask yourself: Do you want to eat like this for the rest of your life? Is this sustainable long-term? What are your goals? Realistically, when would you like to achieve your goals?

There's a couple things i still don't understand about this plan, such as the utter lack of fruit, variety, seasonings, ect. This is a lifestyle change, not a diet, and i feel as if this plan is nothing more than a diet.

Maybe invest in seeing a nutritionist, alongside your personal trainer. See what they say.
  • BeyMe
    edited October 2014
    Options
    have you tried scanning all meals using the app on your phone. 886 doesnt sound right. If it is right then try upping some of the meat and fish. 1200 personally i feel is low still but you might be ok on it. did you put a loss of 2 pounds per week into the mfp tool if so i think thats the standard calorie goal. I am 5ft 8 and i tried 1200 and it was just too low for me. i preferred 1500. Have you just tried eating your everyday foods but keeping to your daily intake, thats exactly what i did.

Yes, but I'm working out 5 times a week. 2 with my trainer and 3 alone. No I don't use the scanner. I think I may be logging all my foods incorrectly on top of maybe not eating enough.
  • Therealobi1
    Options

Yes, but I'm working out 5 times a week. 2 with my trainer and 3 alone. No I don't use the scanner. I think I may be logging all my foods incorrectly on top of maybe not eating enough.

oh good you are getting in the exercise too, but i know personally think 1200 is quite small but see how you get on. Know though it doesnt have to be like that. Start with the scanner on the phone it is really handy esp when out and about. I started off at almost 15 stones and now hover between 11stone 5 and 8 so i know it can be done at higher calories.