Mock Guacamole

Options
iWillGetCrowSomeday
iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
Does anyone have a good mock guacamole recipe that does not use any avocado in it? I've tried with edamame, but the texture just isn't right at all. I can't eat avocados (which makes me sad), but I really miss guacamole!

EDIT: I can't eat avocados- I used to love them, but they no longer love me back. It's either an allergy or a sensitivity, and it's every time I eat them, even as little as a tablespoon!

Replies

• lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Why would you use something other that avocado? Never mock the guac!
  • shezzzzz
    shezzzzz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    When I used to WW, the group I was in seemed to like making it with canned peas. Mash or put in food processor / blender and add the other stuff you like in your guac.
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Chickpeas maybe? Idk I can't even imagine not being allowed to eat guacamole. I would cry.
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Google. I typed in avocado free guac and this was the very first link that came up. It's from chocolatecoveredKatie.com

Avocado-Free Guacamole

(Makes about 1 and 3/4 cups)

◾8 oz asparagus (34-36 skinny spears, ends trimmed)
    ◾1 cup plus 2 tablespoons peas (I used 5 oz frozen, thawed)
    ◾2 tablespoons mayo-type spread
    ◾Juice of 1/2 a lime
    ◾1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
    ◾1/2 tsp cumin
    ◾1/8 tsp salt
    ◾2 tablespoons diced red onion
    ◾optional: 2 teaspoons dry cilantro
    ◾optional: sweetener if desired

Steam the asparagus just until soft, then combine all ingredients (except onion) and blend in a food processor until very smooth. Stir in onion (you can omit if desired). Fridge until cold. (Or you can steam the asparagus in advance and chill them, so your dip will be cold after blending.)
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I guess I shouldn't have said "why would you? when you clearly said you couldn't eat avocado. but I can't imagine anything you could substitute for it if you truly like avocado. I'd have to move to hummus or something instead of trying to find a substitute for avocado...I can't imagine it.
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    Options
    Google. I typed in avocado free guac and this was the very first link that came up. It's from chocolatecoveredKatie.com

Avocado-Free Guacamole

(Makes about 1 and 3/4 cups)

◾8 oz asparagus (34-36 skinny spears, ends trimmed)
    ◾1 cup plus 2 tablespoons peas (I used 5 oz frozen, thawed)
    ◾2 tablespoons mayo-type spread
    ◾Juice of 1/2 a lime
    ◾1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
    ◾1/2 tsp cumin
    ◾1/8 tsp salt
    ◾2 tablespoons diced red onion
    ◾optional: 2 teaspoons dry cilantro
    ◾optional: sweetener if desired

Steam the asparagus just until soft, then combine all ingredients (except onion) and blend in a food processor until very smooth. Stir in onion (you can omit if desired). Fridge until cold. (Or you can steam the asparagus in advance and chill them, so your dip will be cold after blending.)

This sounds like it has possibilities! Thanks for posting! I've tried pinterest and most everything that comes up still uses some avocado! Thank you!! :flowerforyou:
  • ThatSoundsHard
    Options
    No problem! Sometimes it helps when someone who isn't looking for it takes a gander. I hope you find something that works for you. This sounds pretty tasty.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options

LOL :laugh:

ETA: Saw you don't like texture... still I agree, yeah, why do you want to substitute something you don't like?
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Although I couldn't imagine giving up my beloved avocados... I'm going to believe you that you have your reasons... maybe try roasted eggplant like you're making babaganoush.. but instead of mixing with tahini, mix with onions, tomatoes, chilies, cilantro, lime juice and salt.. you'll also need to add some kind of oil to it.. maybe evoo or coconut oil. I'd let it sit for a while to let the eggplant absorb all the flavors of the other ingredients.
  • ThatSoundsHard
    Options
    You can develop allergies and sensativites over time. I wasn't lactose intolerant until about 2 years ago and over the past 5 I've developed several other allergies. Just sayin.

also I forgot to post the nutritional info I found with the recipe
    Avocado Free Guacamole Calories and Nutrition Facts

Per 2 tablespoons:
    ◾Calories: 15
    ◾Fat: 0 grams
    ◾Carbs: 3 grams
    ◾Fiber: 1.5 grams
    ◾Protein: 1.5 grams

High in Potassium, Vitamins A, B, C, and Folate
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    Options
    I guess I shouldn't have said "why would you? when you clearly said you couldn't eat avocado. but I can't imagine anything you could substitute for it if you truly like avocado. I'd have to move to hummus or something instead of trying to find a substitute for avocado...I can't imagine it.

Yeah, unfortunately it's either a sensitivity or an allergy. I used to eat them all the time, then like a year ago I realized I wasn't getting frequent stomach viruses, but was having a reaction to avocado. It's a real bummer because it's such a great source of fiber and healthy fats! And flavor! But even just 2Tbsp of it and my GI tract stages a revolt. I've been tested for an allergy, but it came back negative. The allergist said that it could easily be a false negative, and if I'm having issues to avoid it. It's hard though- people have started using it in recipes for all sorts of things to replace fats- cakes, pastas, sauces, pudding. Yikes. It would make me a literal party pooper if I ate that. No fun!
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    Options
    I've gone back to edit the original post! It's an allergy/sensitivity thing- not texture! I loved avocados! They just don't love me back!
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    Options
    You can develop allergies and sensativites over time. I wasn't lactose intolerant until about 2 years ago and over the past 5 I've developed several other allergies. Just sayin.

also I forgot to post the nutritional info I found with the recipe
    Avocado Free Guacamole Calories and Nutrition Facts

Per 2 tablespoons:
    ◾Calories: 15
    ◾Fat: 0 grams
    ◾Carbs: 3 grams
    ◾Fiber: 1.5 grams
    ◾Protein: 1.5 grams

High in Potassium, Vitamins A, B, C, and Folate

Awesome! Thanks again! Yeah, I ate them for years, then all of a sudden I couldn't. There was no gradual about it. I thought I had norovirus.
  • apothecarist
    apothecarist Posts: 193
    Options
    This recipe is for Broccomole, which was mentioned on this board before. I've made it and love it. Give it a shot:
    (turned out to be around 7 cals/tablespoon the way I made it)

Ingredients

3 cups chopped broccoli
    1 jalapeno, chopped, seeds removed
    2 tbs green onions
    1 tsp olive oil
    2 ounces fat free cream cheese (or silken tofu, goat cheese, sour cream, cashew cream, something creamy)
    1/4 tsp chili powder
    1 tbs cilantro
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    Instructions

Cook the broccoli in lightly salted water until very soft. Overcook the broccoli in comparison to the al dente cooking that most recipes recommend.
    Drain broccoli very well.
    Transfer to a food processor. Add the remaining ingredients and process until smooth, add additional olive oil for a smoother texture.
    Enjoy!
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    Options
    This recipe is for Broccomole, which was mentioned on this board before. I've made it and love it. Give it a shot:

Ingredients

3 cups chopped broccoli
    2 tbs green onions
    1 tsp olive oil
    2 ounces fat free cream cheese (or silken tofu, goat cheese, sour cream, cashew cream, something creamy)
    1/4 tsp chili powder
    1 tbs cilantro
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    Instructions

Cook the broccoli in lightly salted water until very soft. Overcook the broccoli in comparison to the al dente cooking that most recipes recommend.
    Transfer to a food processor. Add the remaining ingredients and process until smooth, add additional olive oil for a smoother texture.
    Enjoy!

That sounds good too- very similar to the "edamockamole" I tried (which was really edamame hummus without tahini). How's the texture? Broccoli is so fibrous, I have a hard time imagining that the texture smooths out, but I'd be willing to give this a shot.

I also wondered about using a nut butter for the fat, but I see this recipe calls for cashew cream. I wonder if that's something that Whole Foods would carry?
  • apothecarist
    apothecarist Posts: 193
    Options

Ingredients

3 cups chopped broccoli
    2 tbs green onions
    1 tsp olive oil
    1/4 tsp chili powder
    1 tbs cilantro
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    Instructions

Enjoy!

That sounds good too- very similar to the "edamockamole" I tried (which was really edamame hummus without tahini). How's the texture? Broccoli is so fibrous, I have a hard time imagining that the texture smooths out, but I'd be willing to give this a shot.

I also wondered about using a nut butter for the fat, but I see this recipe calls for cashew cream. I wonder if that's something that Whole Foods would carry?

I used sour cream and the texture was actually pretty smooth. I used a vitamix blender but a food processor should do the trick too. You just want to make sure the broccoli is not al dente, and cooked a little more than u would normally cook it. Let me know what u think!
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    Options
    I used sour cream and the texture was actually pretty smooth. I used a vitamix blender but a food processor should do the trick too. You just want to make sure the broccoli is not al dente, and cooked a little more than u would normally cook it. Let me know what u think!

Thanks! I will!
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Bumping this for me to investigate later. I love the idea of the broccomole and the asparagus/peas version from CCK.

Thanks for posting!
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options

she cant eat it, That must suck!
  • bonelessskinless
    Options
    lmao broccomole