Why throwing away my scale was the best thing I ever did

Options
I know what some of you may be thinking. "Throw away your scale!? How do you keep up with your progress!?" Quite simply, I do it by gauging how I feel. One thing I know for sure, that if the number on the scale didn't add up to what I thought it should each week, my self confidence would be destroyed! Somehow, I had tied in my self worth to the number staring back at me. The number looking back at me would determine my mood for the rest of the day. It would also dictate my future plans. If it was too much I would cut back waaaay too much. And if it was where I thought it needed to be, I would indulge. I had developed a sick twisted unhealthy relationship with my scale. Soon, I found myself weighing myself every day! The numbers were always different and I was on an emotional roller coaster playing the numbers game. It would get so overwhelming that I would just give up. Why bother?? Then, about 30 days ago, I threw it away! Was it easy? Oh gosh no, the next day I was ready to go out and buy a replacement scale. I wanted to beg the scales forgiveness. What had I done?? I needed it right? Well, I am here to tell you, that 30 days later, I do not regret my decision one bit. It's so crazy that such a small thing could dictate my life so much. Without my scale, I am able to continue my journey and... live. Instead of focusing on the number on the scale, I focus on other things. Recently, I was able to cut down my mile time by 1 whole minute! That's amazing to me! I was also able to do 30 MAN pushups after a month! (Three sets of 10, but heck, that's still amazing to me!) Did I mention I just bought a new pair of pants a size smaller than I normally wear? I did this all without the scale! I have set new goals. One of them being, I want to be able to do at least 1 pull up by April. I find this journey more enjoyable and just wanted to share this bit of wisdom with everyone else. If you find yourself struggling, and if this journey we are all on is becoming all about what you weigh, I challenge you to throw your scale away.

Replies

• Lynniefoo
    Lynniefoo Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I love your post. I also judge myself by my scale. Sometimes I feel addicted to the scale. A number rules my day. I am going to challenge myself to new goals and not weigh in for a week. (That is a start--I am usually jumping on a couple times a day). Thanks for the great post.
  • Canwehugnow
    Canwehugnow Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Great post.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i am happy you found what works for you.
  • DaveDeLange
    Options
    Great post. Looking through this forum, it seems countless people would do well to take your advice.
  • Artionis
    Artionis Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You identified an obstacle and overcame it. Well done.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Wonderful job. Personally I think that the scale is the worst way to measure success here. Unfortunately MFP is really based on it.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Go you! I totally agree it, I pretty much ignore my scale, weigh myself once in a great while, but I don't let the number bother me as long as I see from all things taken together I am still going in the right direction.
  • Twinkie2530
    Twinkie2530 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It really can get unhealthy, I think we are all taught that success it measured by what we weigh. That is so far from the truth.. I am so thankful some of you found value in this post :smile:
  • Cinarocket
    Cinarocket Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you. I'd not throw my scale away but then i'd not lose confidence over an abnormal fluctuation. I believe there are many people out there who would like to keep track of their progress but are aware that weighing isn't an exact science and not overreact to gaining.

But because weighing isn't an exact science is also the reason people should just be doing what they feel more comfortable