Do you suggest Mfp to other people

2»

Replies

• rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    I pass along the information if someone asks me, after all, that's how I found out about it. If my daughter hadn't turned me on to MFP I probably wouldn't have lost the 30 lbs. nor feel so confident that this time I can keep it off.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    BTW, I got here because a friend recommended MFP. And I'm so happy they did.
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    i tell everyone MFP is awesome!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Only when asked in detail what I do.
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    If people tell me they're interested in losing weight, I'll mention that I use an app, if they seem interested, I elaborate. I've actually programmed it myself on at least 5-6 people's phones.
  • Wakeup2014
    Wakeup2014 Posts: 22 Member
    Not usually, and that's only bc I want to be anonymous. I don't want people in real life monitoring how I'm doing, what I'm eating or how much I exercise etc
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    People ask me what I'm doing… I tell them I watch my calories and workout. Usually that's enough and they don't want to hear anymore. Makes too much sense and is too much work. They want to hear about some magic pill or diet. They don't want to hear what deep down they already know.

If they actually pursue it and seem genuinely interested… then I tell them about it. So far (in 6 months and 87 pounds) that's only been one person. And that includes all the members of my family.
  • sjeannot
    sjeannot Posts: 143
    I actually do suggest MFP to other folks because of how much it helped me. It was recommended tome by a nutritionist and I have to say, it is a really great tool. Makes you pay attention to your own self even when you do not realize it, which is a great thing to do when starting on any new lifestyle. I really love MFP!
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    People ask me what I'm doing… I tell them I watch my calories and workout. Usually that's enough and they don't want to hear anymore. Makes too much sense and is too much work. They want to hear about some magic pill or diet. They don't want to hear what deep down they already know.

If they actually pursue it and seem genuinely interested… then I tell them about it. So far (in 6 months and 87 pounds) that's only been one person. And that includes all the members of my family.

That's exactly what I do, and the one person who asked for more info (and who's completely computer savvy) told me later she'd created an MFP account and then "couldn't get it to work." I went over the process with her, and she just kind of nodded and never mentioned it again, so neither did I.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    If people ask me how i lost my weight i tell them. If we are in a group setting and someone talks about losing weight Yes I do tell them about MFP. But if no one talks about losing weight then I say nothing.
  • cstevenson86
    cstevenson86 Posts: 158 Member
    I would say if you feel comfortable - go for it! I learned about MyFitness Pal by someone sharing it with me. Otherwise, I never would have known about it.
  • Just this morning my boss asked me what I've been doing. I'd previously told him about MFP but now he wants me to sit down and show him how to use it in more detail. He's the type of guy that will actually use it, so I'm happy to take the time.

On the other hand, another coworker has asked me about 5 times what I'm doing to lose weight, I keep giving him the same answer, and he asks me again about 2 weeks later. :angry: Maybe he figures if he keeps asking, I will tell him about some magical fairy dust or something.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    I tell people about MFP and they are usually like "that sounds like too much work" and I am like "that's what it takes to lose weight." Then they are like *grumble grumble*
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    I've recommended it to a few people who I thought were serious about losing weight......neither people wanted to put forth the effort of logging daily..........one person has gained weight from her 'diet' (of shakes); the other person has lost weight - but I fear it will be temporary (she was on Jenny Craig).
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Yep, I tell everyone and I tell them about my fitbit too. Doesn't matter what they do.
  • GBO323
    GBO323 Posts: 333 Member
    Sometimes I get a circular response.

Inquirer: "How did you lose the weight?"
    Me: "I use MFP"
    Inquirer: "Oh, I tried that and it didn't work for me"
    Me: " How long did you try it out?"
    Inquirer: "Almost a week...." or "About 2 weeks"

After shaking my head on the inside, I encourage them that we don't gain overnight and we don't lose overnight....but mostly anything worth having and keeping is definitely worth the effort and process.

So yes, I always recommend MFP. Some will put the time in, others won't and will continue to wonder what would be easier and quicker.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    mitchiejo wrote: »
    I do suggest it to them. Problem is they don't want to put the effort into logging their food. Oh well, I tried to help them.

Basically this. I never bring up the topic, though if someone asks or starts taking about their own weight issues, I will always recommend MFP. Often I get the "yeaaa...no not interested" look. Obviously - they are not THAT interested in losing weight yet.
  • KarenB927
    KarenB927 Posts: 94 Member
    I recommend it to anyone who asks how I lost weight. My cousin, who unfortunately is severely overweight (over 400 lbs) had decided he was finally ready. I was visiting him and his parents from out of state at the time, and I showed him the app, he downloaded it immediately and I'm happy to say he has over 76 straight days of logging and has lost weight. He doesn't know how much yet, because he weighs more than the max on a home scale, but people have told him they can see the weight loss, and clothes that were too tight on him, now are starting to be too big. So yes, I do recommend the app if someone asks how I lost my weight. I still log everyday even though I'm in maintenance. I am hypothyroid (no thyroid function due to thyroid nodules and my thyroid being treated by Radioactive Iodine and now take Synthroid every day AND developed gluten problems) and I'm 56, so if I'm not diligent in logging my food AND maintaining a regular schedule of exercise, I gain very very easily. I also have to keep a check on my weight with the scale, because before I know it, I can gain a 2-5 lbs without realizing it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I don't. People give me that blank stare when I tell them I count calories, so I typically stop there.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Oishii wrote: »
    I've given up trying. None of my friends or relatives have given it a proper go. They prefer low carb or shakes :disappointed:

• 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Tanie98 wrote: »
    This lady at my work was talking about how she is trying to lose weight but she hasn't lost any weight .I have been thinking to suggest mfp but I don't want to offend her.The only reason why I am considering this is because she brought this to us.Otherwise I woudnt. So do you suggest mfp to other people when they bring up the fact that they are trying to lose weight?
    I suggest MFP to anybody who expresses an interest. Also, I link MFP to every mode of social media I engage.
    It's free, honest, supportive, flexible and non-dogmatic.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    When people first noticed my weight loss and asked how, I told them about this site. Some joined briefly but they soon went back to seeking quick fixes once more!

I've been slim now for almost two years now and all thanks to mfp educating me ☺

• I do, but only when they bring up losing weight first and needing some help.

THIS.