Weight Loss supplement that actually works?

I know there's no miracle weight loss pill. I understand you have to exercise with a balance diet over long periods of times to lose weight. This is the healthy way of doing things. However, I was wondering if anyone has had luck with any sort of supplement that will increase weight loss while under these pretenses. Assuming you are eating correctly and working out regularly is there something that is proven to help speed up the process?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    No, nothing does that. You regulate your weight loss by eating less and moving more, and only that.
  • Cajete
    Cajete Posts: 7
    Geez, really? Well how about supplements for running? Anything to give you a nice boost of energy that can intensify the workout?
  • Vitamins that are scientifically tested not the crap from walmart. I used Womens Ultra Mega from GNC. Drink plenty of water and get plenty of rest. Eat clean. There is your boost.
  • karenj_m
    karenj_m Posts: 215
    vitamins are useless ...unless you have a deficit in a particular area. Meaning for example if you have low iron, then taking iron pills with OJ will help get your iron levels up. Otherwise you're just peeing it all out.

More than half of all adults in the United States take some sort of multivitamin; many do so in hopes of preventing heart disease and cancer or even to aid with memory.

But an editorial published in this week's Annals of Internal Medicine says that using supplements and multivitamins to prevent chronic conditions is a waste of money.

"The (vitamin and supplement) industry is based on anecdote, people saying 'I take this, and it makes me feel better,' said Dr. Edgar Miller, professor of medicine and epidemiology at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and co-author of the editorial.

"It's perpetuated. But when you put it to the test, there's no evidence of benefit in the long term. It can't prevent mortality, stroke or heart attack."
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,940 Member
    All "energy", "metabolism increasers", and "fat burning" supplements are nothing more than some stimulants laced with minimal doses of ingredients "clinically studied" to justify whatever they are charging. The main stimulant in them are caffeine and synephrine.
    Most people that have problems with energy lack a couple of things:

Correct nutrition to meet the body's essentials
    Lack of rest

Start there first.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AdieEve
    AdieEve Posts: 87 Member
    Black coffee! Helps suppress appetite, practically calorie-free, boosts energy, and chockful of antioxidants!
  • Cajete
    Let's be realistic- whilst on a budget getting all your nutrition in is hard. This is the problem I'm currently faced with.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Most supplements are worthless. A few have their place but they are not what drives results. The few that are useful are only useful in a sense that they provide things in your diet you might not otherwise get enough of. Omega 3 fish oil comes to mind, vitamin D is another. Fat burners typically do not work, or at least not in the way they promise. They do not directly burn fat. Some of them claim to raise your metabolism but none of them do so in a significant way. They do cause appetite suppression in some. If that causes you to eat less, then they are "burning fat" in an indirect way. IMO they are not worth the money. There is absolutely zero evidence that multivitamins, regardless the quality, have any positive effects on health whatsoever. They are likely not harmful either but again, no research can prove they do anything beneficial. If your diet is in check, you shouldn't need one anyways.

As for a supplement to "boost workouts", caffeine comes to mind. There is a good deal of research that 200mg of caffeine (an 8oz starbucks has 180) can increase the quality of certain workouts. If you want to have a strong cup of coffee or take a 200mg caffeine tablet for energy, feel free, but again, do not expect a miracle.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Cajete wrote: »
    Let's be realistic- whilst on a budget getting all your nutrition in is hard. This is the problem I'm currently faced with.
    Especially on a budget, you don't want to waste money. I'm on welfare myself, so I know. Buy wholesome food and don't eat too much, there's nothing more to it. Really.
  • vismal
    If budget is your concern, supplements are the last thing you should be worried about. They provide the least amount of benefit for the highest cost.
  • Cajete
    Thank you everyone! :D
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,940 Member
    If you're just paying for you, then realistically for $50 a week, you can eat attaining correct essentials. That's IF you want to really do that. That same $200 for food a month for an individual usually gets washed away with cell phone extras, memberships to online gaming, etc.
    It's going to depend on where your priorities lie.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    CLA combined with green tea extract has been proven to assist in burning fat and gaining lean mass when used with a proper diet and exercise regimen. It's not a miracle pill, but it doesn't hurt.
  • vismal
    jvs125 wrote: »
    CLA combined with green tea extract has been proven to assist in burning fat and gaining lean mass when used with a proper diet and exercise regimen. It's not a miracle pill, but it doesn't hurt.
    Can you share the "proof" you speak of?
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    I know there's no miracle weight loss pill. I understand you have to exercise with a balance diet over long periods of times to lose weight. This is the healthy way of doing things. However, I was wondering if anyone has had luck with any sort of supplement that will increase weight loss while under these pretenses. Assuming you are eating correctly and working out regularly is there something that is proven to help speed up the process?

are you in a rush?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    IN for magic pills and leprechauns!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    vismal wrote: »
    jvs125 wrote: »
    Can you share the "proof" you speak of?

This, show us the proof please.

• whitehorse67
    whitehorse67 Posts: 101 Member
    I would instead invest money toward buying the right kinds of foods and design a weight loss program that will help you achieve your goal.

Eating the right kinds of foods the right way is the only proven weight loss supplement in my mind.

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    IN for magic pills and leprechauns!

Lucky Charms diet? I'm in for that!