Once I start eating, I can't stop

Options

Replies

• ftsolk
    ftsolk Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    Excellent post by lillydoodle up the top. I totally agree with all she says.

Also, work on improving the quality of your food. Eat less refined carbs (bread, pasta, rice, and all those energy bars don't touch the latter. - this will also help get your appetite under control. Eat lots and lots of vegetables.

Don't drink juice at all. Eat your fruit.

Fat is not the big problem we've been led to believe so eat full fat food because it tastes better and does not usually have added sugar to compensate. More satisfying food will enable you to eat less.

Eat more protein - not of the manufactured kind. Keep those to a minimum.

And you may like to read my post in the food and nutrition forum on how to manage an out of control sweet tooth. Key word in the title is sweet tooth.

I actually don't eat too many bars. On OCCASION, I enjoy a Larabar (my favorite flavor is Apple Pie), but I don't eat Quest Bars or any of the other popular bars out there. Most have added sweeteners, and I honestly just LIKE the taste of Larabars. They're just nuts, fruit, and some spices. And, contrary to what I may have implied, I really only eat one every few weeks. They're just a great option to keep in my purse because they'll last forever, and it's one of the few snacks that I can keep with me and not be tempted to eat just because it's there.

And I know that juice isn't good. I actually went quite a while without drinking any, but for some reason, I've been on an orange juice kick lately. Perhaps I don't need to cut it out again, but I need to reconsider when I drink it. First thing in the morning? Probably a BAD idea. As a dessert after dinner? Better.

I definitely need to cut back on processed foods. I was doing very well with that for quite a while. My diet consisted of mostly whole/real foods (whole grains, meat, plain full fat dairy (mostly), nuts, seeds, legumes, fruits, vegetables, etc). I opted to sweeten my yogurt with maple syrup or honey, and I made a sauce of honey and mustard for things like chicken drumsticks rather than using some barbecue sauce with high fructose corn syrup.

Occasionally, I did indulge in white flour and refined sugar. After all, a Chobani yogurt is a quick and convenient snack, and Annie's Cheddar Bunnies are amazing. Still, I avoided artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners (which I cut out a while back), hydrogenated oils, etc- at least whenever I could. Eating out, I didn't stress over things like that as much. I felt great, but I'm having a hard time getting back to that now.

And I'm definitely a huge supporter of eating more fat. I definitely find that I'm satisfied sooner and longer when I eat a higher fat meal- cooking my vegetables in olive or coconut oils, using full fat dairy products. Those Weight Watchers members who claim that fat-free Greek yogurt is just as good as the full-fat stuff don't know what they are talking about. The full fat stuff is thicker and creamier.
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »
    Why on earth are people flagging this as spam? Seriously, I hope the moderators start giving warnings to people who flag innocent posts.

To the Op, sounds as if you might want to look into Intermittent fasting.

I personally have never heard of IF, but I do know that you need to eat more than you are.. and breakfast should be more than some juice or a bar. try packing fruit before you go to bed, or something along those lines, to grab and go in the mornings when you work.. your probably hungry on days you eat because your body is thanking you for finally feeding it and wants more nutrients! :)

IF is basically just a plan to adjust how you consume your calories throughout the day. Some people eat 6 small meals. Others do 3 square meals and no snacks. Some eat 3 square meals and some snacks. And some people just eat 1 meal a day. There are a number of variations on Intermittent Fasting. Some people just eat every other day. Others eat 500-600 calories twice a week and have a higher calorie allowance on the other five days. People mix and match them all the time. For example someone might follow both 16/8 fasting and the 5:2 Diet. This means that they only eat within an 8 hour window (say, 12pm to 8pm), but they also only eat 500 calories on two of those days.

And people don't always IF every single day.

I've always had this problem. When I eat early- and especially when I'm doing that AND tracking my food, I can't stop thinking about food. When tracking calories before, I'd eat every two hours because I was hungry. This was long before I even heard of the concept of Intermittent Fasting. I thought it was the calorie counting that was making me obsessive, and perhaps that was a huge part of it, but I don't think it is the entire thing- though, I am afraid to try to count calories or points or anything of the like right now because I always spiral out of control sooner or later.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    ftsolk wrote: »
    Some days, I start work between 9 am and 12pm. On those days, I generally don't eat much of anything before work. Occasionally, I might have some cheese- maybe a Larabar. Other days, it's just some juice- if anything at all.

On days that I eat something in the morning, I find I'm hungry a few hours later. In addition, if I have a day where I'm off work or start work later, I find it harder to stop eating once I start.

On days when I only eat one meal, it's usually dinner. Some days, I can eat that meal and be done for the day. Other days, I find it hard to stop eating. It makes me almost afraid to eat.

I can go until 4pm without feeling hungry if I don't eat anything at all. I wanted to try eating at least SOMETHING earlier in the day most days, but if I do, I either find that I can't stop eating, or if I don't have the freedom to eat anything, I am at least finding that I'm hungry sooner.

I'm just not sure what to do at this point.

Sounds like to me your body is wanting to eat on a SCHEDULE and not sparingly. You need to fuel your body on a regular basis, if not the CRAVINGS will start attacking...
  • ftsolk
    Options
    Some days, I start work between 9 am and 12pm. On those days, I generally don't eat much of anything before work. Occasionally, I might have some cheese- maybe a Larabar. Other days, it's just some juice- if anything at all.

On days that I eat something in the morning, I find I'm hungry a few hours later. In addition, if I have a day where I'm off work or start work later, I find it harder to stop eating once I start.

On days when I only eat one meal, it's usually dinner. Some days, I can eat that meal and be done for the day. Other days, I find it hard to stop eating. It makes me almost afraid to eat.

I can go until 4pm without feeling hungry if I don't eat anything at all. I wanted to try eating at least SOMETHING earlier in the day most days, but if I do, I either find that I can't stop eating, or if I don't have the freedom to eat anything, I am at least finding that I'm hungry sooner.

I'm just not sure what to do at this point.

Sounds like to me your body is wanting to eat on a SCHEDULE and not sparingly. You need to fuel your body on a regular basis, if not the CRAVINGS will start attacking...

How can I eat on a schedule? Today, I am free to eat something right now (just before 1pm). On a day I start work at 10, I can't really do that. I don't get to eat at the same time every single day because of my work schedule.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    They're flagging it as spam (not saying they should) because the OP has a history of pretending to ask for advice and then arguing with all of it. If you're trying to help her just know that she won't listen to any of you and she'll be back with a new post in a few weeks.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    They're flagging it as spam (not saying they should) because the OP has a history of pretending to ask for advice and then arguing with all of it. If you're trying to help her just know that she won't listen to any of you and she'll be back with a new post in a few weeks.

It's the same problems with the same excuses every single time. Her schedule changes, she's not allowed to eat at work and she isn't allowed to have breaks at work where she can eat.

• stacyjh1979
    stacyjh1979 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Exactly every couple of weeks in the same thing. Can't figure out when to eat, work won't let her eat, seeking attention from the forum. She's given plenty of advice every time and never takes any of it.

This made me think of one of those memes (I think that's what they are called?) that I saw on facebook referring to a person as an "askhole" lol meaning they ask for advice and then never take it. No input on the topic I just had to share that ;)
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I've never called the bag I take to school with my food a "feedbag." That would make me feel like a horse.

It doesn't matter what you call it. Call it whatever you feel like.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    I've never called the bag I take to school with my food a "feedbag." That would make me feel like a horse.

Same here, but then I remind myself that this forum is world-wide and people from all backgrounds and languages post here. People use lots of different terminology.
  • ftsolk
    Options
    I don't think they have a human model for that, and even if they did, it would probably be against company policy to have one attached to my face.

I have packed lunch for work in the past. But if I don't get a break, it doesn't do me much good because it's sitting upstairs in the break room. There are plenty of days when I eat my lunch after 5 or 6pm when I get off work- even if I'm scheduled to get off at 3. A lot of times, I'm not hungry enough to eat dinner after that. It's mostly cravings and a desire to munch if I eat later on. Being hungry more frequently tends to happen if I eat early in the morning.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I don't think they have a human model for that, and even if they did, it would probably be against company policy to have one attached to my face.

I have packed lunch for work in the past. But if I don't get a break, it doesn't do me much good because it's sitting upstairs in the break room. There are plenty of days when I eat my lunch after 5 or 6pm when I get off work- even if I'm scheduled to get off at 3. A lot of times, I'm not hungry enough to eat dinner after that. It's mostly cravings and a desire to munch if I eat later on. Being hungry more frequently tends to happen if I eat early in the morning.
    So I will ask the same question that has been asked maybe 50 times in the bunch of different threads you have created. Your threads are all complaining about eating at your job and all the trouble and your job, job, job........why don't you finally get a new job? What good does it do to use it as an excuse all the time?

Because it's easier to say the job is the problem rather than look inward and take ownership.
  • ftsolk
    Options
    Why do you think I can go out and get a new job overnight ? I was unemployed for a year before I found my current job. I applied for the same job at least four other times within the year at two different locations. The only reason I finally was hired was because I got an invitation to come in for an interview after talking to the person who did the hiring at church. I didn't go through the usual hiring process.

I have applied to other jobs. They haven't panned out, and quitting my job without having a back up isn't an option.

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    You might want to check the labor laws in your state. Most states have laws which dictate that an employee must be given a break ever so many hours, and a longer meal break if they work so many hours in a day, etc. etc. If you aren't able to eat for a significant timeframe because your employer is not giving you a break, it's quite possible they are breaking the law.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Oh. I wondered about the flagging and did not really believe it until searching. You mean similar posts like this
    http://beta-community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10005824/eating-one-meal-a-day-and-not-exercising
    and this
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1254748
    some more
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1001153

I am not sure about the pretending. It is difficult to begin a real commitment but it is frustrating to see the same questions repeatedly.

• SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    Ok, I checked, and NJ only has mandatory break times for minors. Sucks to work in NJ, I guess. And I thought my state was bad.
  • ftsolk
    Options
    Trust me, I've researched the break thing constantly, and it does suck, but that's life. However, I've also learned to live with it the best I can. In fact, NOT having a break at work works for me in a way because it makes it easier for me to go all day without eating. It's my day OFF that I struggle the most. On work days, I often look at the clock and realize that it's almost 5pm and I haven't eaten (and I'm not even that hungry). On my day off? I find myself wanting to nibble all day.

If I eat a good, filling, meal, I can go quite a while without eating. I may choose to indulge a little in some dessert, but even at a church event or on my "cheat" night, I am satisfied with a few bites. So, I suppose a LOT of this is boredom eating. It could also just be wanting to eat because I CAN.

I know I can't possibly be the only person who doesn't have a stable schedule. What do people who alternate between first and third shift hours do? I think this kind of schedule with no stable break times may be more or less typical for retail positions. My best friend recently changed his hours for work due to a shift in departments. Sunday, he started work earlier than he's used to (at 5 am). He didn't get a break until 10am (he was scheduled 5am to 1:30pm). He did get his 30 minute lunch break, but he never got his final 15 minute break. I have started to take my breaks regardless. However, if I have a day when I work through my entire shift without a break, I will take a "break" afterwards. That way, I can get my things together on company time.

After all, I may not legally be entitled to a break, but the Union contract is a different story.

And yes, I have considered contacting the union about issues with not taking breaks, working long hours, being called in early/asked to stay late/asked to come in on my days off, etc. However, I would like to avoid that if possible. I understand that's what the union is there for, but I don't know if I want to rock the boat if I don't absolutely have to. Often, going to the union makes things worse.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    ukaryote wrote: »
    Oh. I wondered about the flagging and did not really believe it until searching. You mean similar posts like this
    http://beta-community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10005824/eating-one-meal-a-day-and-not-exercising
    and this
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1254748
    some more
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1001153

I am not sure about the pretending. It is difficult to begin a real commitment but it is frustrating to see the same questions repeatedly.

Honestly I'm just curious if this post will be allowed to stand. It appears the moderators are coming through and deleting posts like this as being off topic when we attempt to warn other users that this person is NOT legitimately interested in weight management advise.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    Trust me, I've researched the break thing constantly, and it does suck, but that's life. However, I've also learned to live with it the best I can. In fact, NOT having a break at work works for me in a way because it makes it easier for me to go all day without eating. It's my day OFF that I struggle the most. On work days, I often look at the clock and realize that it's almost 5pm and I haven't eaten (and I'm not even that hungry). On my day off? I find myself wanting to nibble all day.

If I eat a good, filling, meal, I can go quite a while without eating. I may choose to indulge a little in some dessert, but even at a church event or on my "cheat" night, I am satisfied with a few bites. So, I suppose a LOT of this is boredom eating. It could also just be wanting to eat because I CAN.

I know I can't possibly be the only person who doesn't have a stable schedule. What do people who alternate between first and third shift hours do? I think this kind of schedule with no stable break times may be more or less typical for retail positions. My best friend recently changed his hours for work due to a shift in departments. Sunday, he started work earlier than he's used to (at 5 am). He didn't get a break until 10am (he was scheduled 5am to 1:30pm). He did get his 30 minute lunch break, but he never got his final 15 minute break. I have started to take my breaks regardless. However, if I have a day when I work through my entire shift without a break, I will take a "break" afterwards. That way, I can get my things together on company time.

After all, I may not legally be entitled to a break, but the Union contract is a different story.

And yes, I have considered contacting the union about issues with not taking breaks, working long hours, being called in early/asked to stay late/asked to come in on my days off, etc. However, I would like to avoid that if possible. I understand that's what the union is there for, but I don't know if I want to rock the boat if I don't absolutely have to. Often, going to the union makes things worse.

So, if it's the days off that are the problem, and you're saying that you're not hungry when you first get up and you can delay eating, then I would encourage you to check into the intermittent fasting idea that others have mentioned, so that you can do that mindfully instead of accidentally and willy-nilly. Being busy will give you less time to think about food. Having a cool hobby or something to do on your days off will help, especially if it's something pretty active like hiking through a nature trail, or even shopping with lots of walking. Getting busy and away from the kitchen is really helpful.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options

Exactly every couple of weeks in the same thing. Can't figure out when to eat, work won't let her eat, seeking attention from the forum. She's given plenty of advice every time and never takes any of it.

Perhaps the advice she is being given isn't any good for her.

I hope that the Mods on this site use their commonsense and see that this thread is not "spam", regardless as to how some, both on this thread and those that have flagged it but not commented on it, see it.

I have seen some rubbish on these forums, believe me, but this thread is not one of those.

People just because you give your advice to the OP's question, does not mean she has to damn well take it for crying out loud, your advice(s) are not the be all and end all, in fact they may not even be correct. If the OP is continually asking similar questions in other threads, it is most likely because the advice she is being given, is no good for her.

OP for what it is worth, I have had the same, my own solution was to cut down on the carbs and up the protein, because protein is filling whereas carbs can be addictive.

Chill out people and stop with the clicking on that flag symbol, there are a lot more threads you can do that to, this thread really isn't one of those.