Does running get easier? Feeling pathetic and don't want to give up again....

Options
So the title pretty much says it.... I've tried and failed for years to "become a runner" I love the idea of running, but the practice of it makes me sick. I've started off with intervals, but as I'm running, all I can think about is my failures and if I hadn't given up, then I would be somewhere by now.... I feel like this every time I start again, and give up soon after.... How can I find the enjoyment in it? I really want to do this... I really do... Just tell me I'll get there and Itll get easier... Lie if you need to ;) anyone else starting out? I'm currently running (I relate my run speed to that of a tortoise) a 6km loop, in 3 mins run, 2 walk. It takes me about 55minutes to complete. I've tried C25K and it didn't work for me.... Any tips or thoughts?

Thanks
X

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Physically it doesn't sound as if you have any issues really, being able to run for three minutes demonstrates that you've got the basis to extend that. I'd ask the question of what you mean by it making you sick?

Given the pace that you're talking about I'd suspect that in your running intervals you may be going far faster than is useful. It may be that you need to ease off on the pace until you've got longer continuous running going on.

It's just a question of continuing to stretch yourself, pushing the threshold of what you can do, either by increasing the periods of running or reducing the periods of walking.
  • sazrina
    sazrina Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are being too hard on yourself to me and there's too much negative talk going on in your head when you are running. I know when I go out and I'm not in the right mindset the negative self talk can almost have a physical effect and I don't run as well. You need to find a way to be proud of yourself for getting out there and giving it a go and then the sense of achievement will start to come from the small victories, e.g. shaving a few seconds off your 5k time, less walking breaks etc.
    Also it defintely does get easier, I started as someone who couldn't run for a few minutes and I now do half marathon's
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i allow myself to walk and never view my walking as a failure, cause regardless if i walk half a block, the whole 5 miles, or run the entire time, it is far superior to sitting on the couch and at least i got up, got dressed and laced up. i didn't care for my first c25k app, but fell in love with the zombie one. Also, some days I don't enjoy my run, but i always enjoy the fact that I went.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    I started and stopped 4 times now; so let's keep it simple. For now, increase your walk cadence. You are in the Middle East so temperature would play a major role for me in terms of when I do cardio. After the first kilometer your body ought to be ready for a little increase in cadence during the 2 minute walk. Slowly get to where you run 4, walk 1. Before you know it, you are running 80% of your minutes. Good luck.
  • aussieems
    aussieems Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies so far. It's comforting to know that others have been there before. I meant by "making me sick" not physically, but more mentally. I think I beat myself up for past behaviours the whole time, I'm shattered before I've even started. I will take all your advice, and run positively tomorrow. And yes terrapin, temperature does play a huge role here, but some winds have started to cool us down, we have gone from 116F to around 90F... Hence why I've tried to start over :) thanks again all. X
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Maybe you're not a runner... Maybe you're a biker or a hiker or a swimmer.

Or a dancer or _____________
  • Yes, it does get better.
    I really got into running when I started running outside this spring. I honestly ran only when it was BEAUTIFUL outside. When the focus was on enjoying the weather/sunshine I was much happier doing it. This also let me figure out the right speed. Go slow - good old talk test works for me.
    Also get some good running music to drown out the negative thoughts. Sounds dumb but I always have a better experience when listening to songs about being stronger. The app Rockmyrun has some good mixes that you can download (for free).
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Babysteps! Agree with above posters that predominantly negative focus is not good for progress. Allowing yourself to be happy and grateful for the mini-goals that you do achieve is better.

The body needs to gradually be persuaded to perform more. So focus on the process, not the prize:)

I'm a carrot person, rather than stick. But we all respond differently. To me, it's important to not feel pressured into a corner. Just like you, I reckoned myself as "not a runner-type". Last month I have done powerwalks with bursts of light jogging in between. So whenever I feel like I can run, I do it. No pressure. Each week I widened the goals. "Run for 200 meters longer" or "Run that hill full length". This week I finished 5k! Mind you it's not fast...about 8 km/hour. So I'll stay there until I feel I can run faster.

It's easier to run more if you can be happy being in a steady pace that is comfy for you. And just keep widening that running window/bursts as you please.

Good luck:)
  • aussieems
    Options
    But I want to be a runner (insert 2year old tantrum here, complete with stomping foot)

Thanks for the app recommendation, will check it out now:)
  • kelle_r
    Options
    I have been doing the C25K app. I seen that someone didn't like it. Can you tell me what you didn't like. This is my first time starting to run. Im getting ready to start week 4 and Im a little nervous. Week 3 was not easy for me.. I to am not sure I am a runner, but would sure like to try...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I too tried C25k and did not like it, the jumps are just too extreme. If you can already run 3 minutes the plan I'm currently following may be for you. It has a smoother learning curve (no jumps from 5 minutes straight to 20) and starts out at much shorter runs but takes you all the way up to a 10k (if you follow it up with level II of the program.) The "long run" section (saturday) is supposed to be in miles, but I do it in kilometers.

What I like about it is that with 4 levels and roughly 20 weeks each (with the possibility of needing to repeat a level before advancing to the next) you are looking at about 2 years of structured running. Having structure may give you a certain goal to keep in mind, and starting low and slow may give you confidence that you can do it.

Even after you finish all the levels of the 5/10k program, you can start the 3 levels of half marathon program, then another 4 levels of marathon, again, each level of each program can be done in 20 weeks.

During my runs, I listen to audio books. It makes it fun. You may also want to try the app "zombies, run" to inject more fun into your run.

Also don't worry about your pace for now. You can work on it later once you build the endurance. I run at 6 km/hour (of pure running, walking breaks not counted in), and I'm not bothered one bit about being possibly the slowest runner in existence. That will come later.

Try it out:
    http://www.exrx.net/Aerobic/RunnersEdge/5K10K1.html
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    aussieems wrote: »
    I think I beat myself up for past behaviours the whole time

Just run each run for itself. Sometimes they're bad, more often they're good. And in some ways it might be worth thinking about what you want from your run. As well as just the fitness side, for me it gives me headspace, it's almost meditative when I'm out there for an hour or two.

• aussieems
    Options
    Hi Kelle, I found, like amusedmonkey, that the jumps were huge, too big for me, and I get demoralised and gave up when I couldn't do it. My own fault I guess.... And thanks amusedmonkey, will have a look at it . :)
  • Christi102012
    Christi102012 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, focus on your successes. I'm doing C25K using the RunDouble app. after each run I can go into the website and compare and look for improvements. That's what motivates me, being able to see that I am getting better. Maybe my pace for one of the intervals was better than the previous day that week. Or I made it running (however slowly) for the full interval. That and having music to distract me from how far I have left to run that interval/day is what keeps me going. Figure out what motivates you. And even if you do have to walk more than you had wanted, at least you're out there and trying. Keep it up and good luck
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    You have to get into the actual act of running - i.e. while you're doing it. My best moments during a run are when I kind of get into a rhythm and zone out and think about other things and forget that I'm running, and then it starts to feel easy and natural and effortless. Music helps a lot with this. Maybe stop doing intervals and just jog, very slowly, for as long as you can each time, and see if you can extend this by a few minutes each session?
  • 1971MLJ
    1971MLJ Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    socalkay wrote: »
    Maybe you're not a runner... Maybe you're a biker or a hiker or a swimmer.

Or a dancer or _____________

This - I ran for years, completed 10 half marathons and even did some of the distance training with my friend for a marathon. I always found it a struggle and never enjoyed it, I just did it because it was the easiest way to fit in time with a friend. I eventually decided running just isn't for me and I'm much happier. I still use the treadmill for intervals as part of my overall program but other than that unless the Zombie Apocalypse hits and I need to get out quickly I'll not be running any kind of distance again. Life's too short to do exercise that makes you miserable.
  • kelle_r
    Options
    Do any of you do this on a treadmill? Or all outside?
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to run for months now. The C25K didn''t work for me either, I've looked at other 5K plans also but I get to a few mins run then have to walk the rest of a 5K. Doesn't help that I haven't been running 3 times a week some weeks not at all.

My aim is to continue with what I'm doing and improve my pace over time. Run for as long as I can then walk up to a 5K distance. Looking to add 1-2 min run week till I'm finally running a full 5K.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I do some on a treadmill, some outside. It's easier to zone out on a treadmill, but I feel like a bit of a hero when I run outside, for some reason.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    kelle_r wrote: »
    Do any of you do this on a treadmill? Or all outside?

I do this on a treadmill. Although many dread that, I seem to enjoy it more than having to pay attention to bumps on the road, cars, trees.. etc. I get to totally phase out and enjoy my audiobooks.

A note if you do it on a treadmill though, if you decide later to move to running outside you are in for a surprise. You would be conditioned for treadmill running so running outside will prove different. Not being able to watch your pace, having to move your body in a different way and such will make things harder so it will take some getting used to after you make the switch.

I for one do not plan to. I REALLY enjoy treadmill running.