Body Fat % Question

Options
I have tried all the body fat calculators online and they consistently give me a 23 or so body fat result, but I have been doing strength training for two years and even in maintenance have been steadily losing inches and clothing size. So what constitutes a lower body fat %?

I never lose any weight even though I've been in a deficit due to very high activity. I'm 127lb, 5'4, 35-26-37

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty strong. ;-) And I'm not overly obsessive. It's just a matter of wanting to see what I've accomplished reflected in the results. I belong to the Y and they do body fat measurement, but I probably have to wait until I get this cast off.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I have tried all the body fat calculators online and they consistently give me a 23 or so body fat result, but I have been doing strength training for two years and even in maintenance have been steadily losing inches and clothing size.

Bodyfat calculators factor in age, and "penalize" you each year by bumping up the number.. even if your other measurements went down. They assume older folks have higher body fat and less muscle. But not all older folks are "typical" with how much extra fat they have. So you might be lower than 23%

So what constitutes a lower body fat %?

That's a subjective thing. You're certainly leaner than the national average, if that means anything. And you're probably not overly skinny either. Your own personal assessment of your physique is more important than arbitrary comparisons of numbers.
  • 47Jacqueline
    Options
    Hmm... another ageism prejudice. ;-)
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Bod Pod, DEXA scan, hydrostatic weighing.
  • VanillaGorillaUK
    VanillaGorillaUK Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Get a measuring tape, take your measurements (waits,hips,wrist,forearm) and put them into this: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/

It won't be 100% accurate, but providing you take measurements correctly (google how-to's) it will be close. Of course, if your going to use this as a gauge every month, ensure you measure in exactly the same places, same method, same time etc
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in the responses you get. I have similar stats and measurements (I'm a little shorter, though).

I got calipers this summer, and even using those there are 5 or 6 different methods. When I used the one that took into account fat on my arms and legs, I got around 17%. But if I use calculators that focus on core bodyfat, I get 23-25%. This actually makes sense, because I don't add fat in my limbs. I have long slim somewhat muscular legs and arms. But ohh the midsection! Although I am certainly still slim, I have an even layer of fat that wraps me from just under the chest to the top of the hips. It is why I am still here working. . . .

And what about the parts that the calipers don't measure? I am curvy (and I was curvy even as a skinny teen ager who weighed 100 lbs!), so let's just say I definitely have some pockets of fat in strategic places! Now, I'm not wanting to lose those fat stores (!!) but when you are estimating bodyfat with calipers, there is no way to estimate that!

And the tape measure misses lots of spots too!

Anyway, don't you wish there was an inexpensive way to find out? It would be so nice to have a reliable way to measure progress, other than the scale. Especially if you are doing some sort of strength training!

Okay, all you fitness experts--let's have some answers!
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    get yours done by a PT. everything online gave me around 25%. I wanted to know when I hit maintenance and I had been doing strength exercises besides my walking for about 5 months. when I had mine done by somebody that knew what she was doing, it was 21%. She also said the online ones are bogus. It cost me $20. It was well worth it. you won't be sorry just for the mental boost it's going to give you.
  • 47Jacqueline
    Options
    toadg53 wrote: »
    get yours done by a PT. everything online gave me around 25%. I wanted to know when I hit maintenance and I had been doing strength exercises besides my walking for about 5 months. when I had mine done by somebody that knew what she was doing, it was 21%. She also said the online ones are bogus. It cost me $20. It was well worth it. you won't be sorry just for the mental boost it's going to give you.

Good idea. Google just makes me frustrated.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Definitely do a Dexa Scan or Bod Pod measurement. I am bottom heavy and have found that calipers have about a 3-5% margin of error vs my Dexa Scan readings, primarily due to the caliper measurements being focused more on the upper body (where i am leaner).
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    toadg53 wrote: »

What method did they use?