Back Squat or Front Squat

Options
I see some discussion here-and-there about doing Back Squats or Front Squats. Today there was a good article about this topic in the NASM newsletter I receive, so I thought I'd share it with everybody.

By Brian Sutton MS, MA, NASM-CPT, CES, PES

Which is better, the front squat or the back squat? The answer to this ongoing debate depends heavily on the client.

Both the front and back squat movements require hip flexion, knee flexion and dorsiflexion during the eccentric phase and hip extension, knee extension and plantar flexion during the concentric phase. As such both front squats and back squats work the same muscle groups; prime movers include gluteals and quadriceps; synergists include the hamstrings; and stabilizers include the deep abdominal muscles (transverse abdominis).

EMG activity in each muscle group (quadriceps, hamstrings, gluteals) between the two lifts is nearly identical (1). Because of the inherent change in the position of the center of mass of the bar between the front and back squat lifts, the back squat results in decreased back extensor muscle activity (erector spinae) (1). Back squats also create greater compressive (downward) forces at the knees. However, shear (side to side) forces at the knee are identical in both lifts (very minimal) (1).

The primary difference between the two lifts is actually upper body mechanics. Individuals who lack shoulder external rotation may have a difficult time performing a back squat. These individuals are hard pressed to get the bar racked and held in the proper position across the upper back due to poor shoulder and thoracic spine mobility. These individuals usually display an upper crossed syndrome (rounded shoulders and forward head), typically seen in those who spend a lot of time driving or working on the computer.

The front squat does not require external rotation at the glenohumeral joint. However, some individuals find the position of the bar across the shoulders uncomfortable; especially if they have acromioclavicular joint (AC) joint dysfunction.

There is anecdotal evidence that front squats are safer on a client’s lower back, but this has not been proven definitively in research. Conversely, clients tend to be able to lift heavier loads with back squats.

The bottom line, both exercises help target the musculature of the lower extremities and can be beneficial developing muscular growth, strength and power. The exercise you choose should depend on the client’s posture / technique and the client’s preference. It is doubtful you’ll notice significant performance abilities by choosing one lift over the other. Remember, all training is cumulative.

Reference:

Gullett JC, Tillman MD, Gutierrez GM, Chow JW. A biomechanical comparison of back and front squats in healthy trained individuals. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 2009 Jan;23(1):284-92.
- See more at: http://blog.nasm.org/sports-performance/front-squat-back-squat-choose/#sthash.dwUouyT9.dpuf

Replies

212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I have changed my workouts so that I have two squat days: Saturday: heavy low bar back squat, and Tuesday: front squat. Each works the kinetic chain a bit differently so in my opinion this setup allows for better recovery.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I'm coming to like front squats a bit, but lack the wrist flexibility and shoulder mobility to get the rack right.

What I am wondering though is this:
    These individuals are hard pressed to get the bar racked and held in the proper position across the upper back due to poor shoulder and thoracic spine mobility. These individuals usually display an upper crossed syndrome (rounded shoulders and forward head), typically seen in those who spend a lot of time driving or working on the computer.

How would you address this issue?
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    These individuals are hard pressed to get the bar racked and held in the proper position across the upper back due to poor shoulder and thoracic spine mobility. These individuals usually display an upper crossed syndrome (rounded shoulders and forward head), typically seen in those who spend a lot of time driving or working on the computer.

I'm also interested in the response to this as it might be the key to my complete and utter inability to do a barbell back squat (currently do goblet but I'm rapidly reaching the limit of my free weights). Considering I've spent most of the last 26 years of my career either in front of a computer -- okay, in the early years it was hunched over paperwork -- or behind the wheel of a car...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    I'm coming to like front squats a bit, but lack the wrist flexibility and shoulder mobility to get the rack right.

By doing exercises that work the "rears". Upright rows, bent over laterals IE.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

I was never able to do front squats because I had a chemo port implanted on my chest that would get in the way of the resting bar. I had the port removed in earlier in the year and then I found that my shoulders/wrists would not allow me to even rest a empty bar on my shoulders due to a joint disease that targets my shoulders, wrists, hands etc.... The fix I came up with was using wrist straps cinched to the bar. Therefore I could grip the straps and still have control of the bar in the proper position. While still getting my elbows up high.

Don't forget to exercise the rear muscles of your shoulders/back as that will correct some of the issue. Mobility exercises will also help a lot.

Here is a video of my first attempt ever after my port removal, I think I was working 175lbs which is just a controlled weight. I am currently using in the area of 250lb for fronts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyxpNxusgh4&list=UUnk7uPNpF9bep84M2whWFpQ

• dbmata
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

By doing exercises that work the "rears". Upright rows, bent over laterals IE.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    So right now doing rear delt pulls, bent over delt raises, upright rows. No silver bullet eh?

@chieflrg - yeah, been using the wrist straps, which has been great. Allowed me to get up to 185# today before I had to cut the workout.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I practice oly and pl so i do both and like them equally. I find front pause squats to be especially great for developing stability and core strength. If you're not doing any front squats, they are great to do at least once a week as an accessory. When I started front squatting, i was coming off a significant wrist injury. I have had to do a lot of wrist stretches and strengthening exercises to accommodate all olympic lifting movements. However, I usually only run into problems on front squats with larger sets now that I have gotten a pretty good rack position with just three fingers under the bar, so if I do more sets with lower reps, I don't seem to have much trouble. My front squat is about 80% of my back squat now (205 front squat) but I know that many who have even closer #'s.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options

I would start with flexibility. Foam roll the thoracic spine and your lats and then perform some active-isolation stretching prior to training and static stretching post workout of the same areas. Stretch on your days off as well. Build strength in your traps, posterior delts, lats, and rhomboids with various pulling exercises.

STRICT barbell shrugs: Pull your shoulders up close to your ear without using your calves to initiate the movement. You can also do Upright Rows like Niner said, I just recommend taking a wider grip on the bar as a close grip can impinge your shoulders.

DB or BB Rowing

Strict Pullups (or lat pulldowns if you can't do pullups)

Resistance Band Pull-Aparts. (50 - 100 reps)

*When you're squatting, don't friggin' look down. LOL! If you look down your upper body will follow that direction.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    31849-why-dont-we-have-both-gif-meme-IfmC.gif

...and some Bulgarian Split Squats as well.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Good knowledge, lots of homework. I think I've really been lagging on the stretching.

I've been doing a lot of the pulls, and will add in the shrugs once my shoulders are better. It's that damned stretching.
  • dbmata
    Options
    the front squat work does make it easier to come off the john quickly.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Good knowledge, lots of homework. I think I've really been lagging on the stretching.

I've been doing a lot of the pulls, and will add in the shrugs once my shoulders are better. It's that damned stretching.

Unfortunately neglecting flexibility is a very common mistake I think; I see it every day I'm in the gym. Even taking 15-min's to stretch when you wake-up in the morning on non-training days is beneficial. I think if you have rounding shoulders that some Shrugs and some kind of Rowing movement would help a ton. I think so much emphasis gets put on pressing that the muscles supporting the pressing movements get forgotten about and that's part of how shoulder issues creep in.

A couple years ago I thought I was going to need shoulder surgery because of the pain and range of motion (poor) I had. I started doing some specific shoulder stretching and mobility on a regular basis (got religious about it) and added a lot of upper back work to my training; I never had that surgery and I have no pain now.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Do both
  • dbmata
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Unfortunately neglecting flexibility is a very common mistake I think; I see it every day I'm in the gym. Even taking 15-min's to stretch when you wake-up in the morning on non-training days is beneficial. I think if you have rounding shoulders that some Shrugs and some kind of Rowing movement would help a ton. I think so much emphasis gets put on pressing that the muscles supporting the pressing movements get forgotten about and that's part of how shoulder issues creep in.

A couple years ago I thought I was going to need shoulder surgery because of the pain and range of motion (poor) I had. I started doing some specific shoulder stretching and mobility on a regular basis (got religious about it) and added a lot of upper back work to my training; I never had that surgery and I have no pain now.

I think a lot of the stretch neglect is because it isn't hollywood. While maybe it's easier for folks who aren't working at a computer or a desk, for those of us that do, it's hard to remember the importance.

Meh, time to go stretch. ;) I have had a lot of success using bands for shoulder dislocs, so there is some positive feedback there.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

I think a lot of the stretch neglect is because it isn't hollywood. While maybe it's easier for folks who aren't working at a computer or a desk, for those of us that do, it's hard to remember the importance.

Meh, time to go stretch. ;) I have had a lot of success using bands for shoulder dislocs, so there is some positive feedback there.

That and there are so many anti-stretch articles that are taken out-of-context and people thing they shouldn't stretch when really the articles are saying to do it efficiently and no waste time with unnecessary stuff.

• Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    the front squat work does make it easier to come off the john quickly.

*note to self. snakes are now insufficient*
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    it's funny- I attend dance class Sat, Sun, Mon, Tuesday- all of which have some sort of warm up- and sometimes the class winds up being 45 min faux yoga stretching b/c we all need it so much- and even with all that stretching- and body awareness- I could still stand to stretch more.

I don't know how people who aren't aware survive- I get SO crunchy (best word to describe it) and I NEED to stretch- I stretch something somewhere through the day easily a dozen to two dozen times.

On top of dance classes= daily mini stretches and warm up/stretches before workouts- I still feel like it is just NOT enough.

As far as the computer syndrom stretching- that reach behind, clasp the hands and gently lift- to open the chest and shoulders is one that can be done daily at the desk.

Doing a pressing stretch in a door way is great too.

That's something- esp as a desk jockey, you should be acutely aware of and be attending to daily. Sitting like this chronically is SO hard on the body. Should be doing everything to possibly to help mitigate the side effects.

That being said- I like back and front- and over head squats. All of them- for different reasons. But I back squat more frequently than anything.
    I also have bad wrists- so I have to do cross bar method rather than bent wrists- or no holding the bar at all (I think they are calling them zombie squats at this point)

also a win.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I don't know how people who aren't aware survive- I get SO crunchy (best word to describe it) and I NEED to stretch- I stretch something somewhere through the day easily a dozen to two dozen times.

I feel the tightness and even start to hurt. I have a baseball on my desk and there are days where I'll sit on it to relieve tightness while I'm at work. LOL