Lose weight

Options
Leave any motivation and tips to help me lose 7 pounds this month (: even 5 would be amazing. I'm ready to kick-start!
Height: 5'2.5"
H.W.: 148
CW: 141
Goal: current 135 overall: 123

I know you have to eat clean, exercise, and just be healthy overall. Just some motivation would be great :D

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    My first motivational tip would be to lower expectations. Losing 7lbs in a month as a small female isn't much of a reasonable goal.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Well, honestly, 7 pounds in a month is a bit ambitious with so little to lose. If you have less than 20 lbs to go, then .5 lb a week is appropriate. I really hate to burst your bubble...the closer you are to goal, the harder it is and longer it takes.

That being said, do you have a dog? If not, do you have nearby friends, family or neighbors with dogs? Offer to walk them. It's fun and motivating and dogs are awesome.

If you spend a lot of time in front of the computer or TV, find little extra exercise things you can do at the same time. I have exercise bands beside my computer, so I can work in some small accessory moves between gym sessions.

If you're not drinking at least 3-4 liters of water a day, increase your water. It will not only help you feel full, it will also aid digestion and make your skin look great.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Emma wrote:
    Leave any motivation and tips to help me lose 7 pounds this month even 5 would be amazing. I'm ready to kick-start!

Height: 5'2.5"
    weight: 141
    Goal: current 135 overall: 123
    Going by BMI, you should be 105 - 130, so your goal is reasonable & you don't have much to lose.
    That means it's going to be slow. There's no way you can be healthy & lose 7 lb in a month. 2 lb would be reasonable. That would mean cutting 500 cal per day from what you're currently eating.
    Spend a couple weeks logging _everything_ you eat, then cut from there once you know what you normally eat.

Read this:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    I know you have to eat clean, exercise, and just be healthy overall.
    Just some motivation would be great :D
    "eating clean" means so many different things to so many different people, it's a meaningless phrase.
    Yes, eating fewer processed foods, eating lower on the food chain, etc. is generally a good idea & leads to healthier eating & lower calories / sodium / fat.

"Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake.
    However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html

Motivation & encouragement (explained in blog post)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-07-24-motivation-encouragement-680938

- Set small intermediate goals & celebrate every one.
    - Take measurements.
    - Take pictures.
    - Weigh yourself regularly.
    - Be flexible; forgive yourself.
    - Celebrate the non-scale victories (NSV's)
    - Don't give up!!!!
    - Don't make any food forbidden.
    - Eat real food; less processed is better.

Some other blog posts you might find useful. All have links to the studies which support their assertions.

Sleep enough
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-08-27-sleep-weight-control-690492

Eating higher protein & lower carbs leads to more weight loss
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-08-09-high-protein-diet-685553
    Try 45% carbs, 20% fat, 35% protein

Eat about half your calories for breakfast (see the last half of this post for the studies)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-10-some-studies-about-weight-loss-667818
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    If you're not drinking at least 3-4 liters of water a day, increase your water. It will not only help you feel full, it will also aid digestion and make your skin look great.
    No.
    You don't need to drink so much water, unless you're sweating away a lot of it (it's the middle of summer & you have an active outdoor job).
    Drinking so much can put you at risk of electrolyte imbalance, which can cause heart & nerve problems. (As in, they stop functioning correctly. Yes, people die from that.)
    If you're peeing more often than about every hour, that's too much water.
    For most people, in most situations, up to 2 liters a day would be reasonable.
    I work out every day, at least an hour of cardio, and generally have 1.5 - 2 L per day. (Unless it's summer, then I drink more 'cause I don't have a/c, have to sit in front of a fan & sweat to keep cool.)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    No.
    You don't need to drink so much water, unless you're sweating away a lot of it (it's the middle of summer & you have an active outdoor job).
    Drinking so much can put you at risk of electrolyte imbalance, which can cause heart & nerve problems. (As in, they stop functioning correctly. Yes, people die from that.)
    If you're peeing more often than about every hour, that's too much water.
    For most people, in most situations, up to 2 liters a day would be reasonable.
    I work out every day, at least an hour of cardio, and generally have 1.5 - 2 L per day. (Unless it's summer, then I drink more 'cause I don't have a/c, have to sit in front of a fan & sweat to keep cool.)

You don't drink it all at the same time. Unless something is wrong with your kidneys, you should be able to drink .8 liters per hour with no ill effects. If you're drinking 3-4 liters, spread out throughout the day, you should have absolutely no issues with electrolytes.
  • 100DaysToGetFitEmma16
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    My first motivational tip would be to lower expectations. Losing 7lbs in a month as a small female isn't much of a reasonable goal.

You're definitely right. I guess 3-4 pounds by the end of November is more reasonable :)
  • 100DaysToGetFitEmma16
    Options
    Well, honestly, 7 pounds in a month is a bit ambitious with so little to lose. If you have less than 20 lbs to go, then .5 lb a week is appropriate. I really hate to burst your bubble...the closer you are to goal, the harder it is and longer it takes.

That being said, do you have a dog? If not, do you have nearby friends, family or neighbors with dogs? Offer to walk them. It's fun and motivating and dogs are awesome.

If you spend a lot of time in front of the computer or TV, find little extra exercise things you can do at the same time. I have exercise bands beside my computer, so I can work in some small accessory moves between gym sessions.

Thanks!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    1. Go Hard
    2. Eat Smart
    3. Sleep Enough
    4. Be consistent.