Ran my first 5K!

Options
This past weekend I ran my first 5K! A huge accomplishment physically, mentally and emotionally! I started running about 3.5 months ago with a goal to run the Run or Dye 5K next summer. After posting many updates on FB a friend sent me an invite to take part in a local 5K to raise money for a local hospice house. I registered and set goals on running in the event. I can happily saw that I ran my first 5K this past weekend. I placed 39th out of 47 runners and my time was 37:01. The whole experience was pretty overwhelming; not really what I thought it was going to be. I remember thinking as I was coming up on the first km (they had the distances posted the whole way along the route), omg, I'm actually running in the race with seasoned runners. No more practicing and planning, this is it. I think I sort of second guessed myself which may have led to some more walking breaks then I would normally take. I think this running thing is more psychological then physical.
I was overwhelmed when the finish line came into sight, too. I was actually sick to my stomach and had to stop for a few seconds. I've been told this can be pretty normal. All in all I'm super happy with my run. I did it! I'm definitely going to continue running with plans to get stronger and run more events!

Replies

• HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Strong work! Congratulations! (and now you'll find that you're hooked on 'em.....)
  • Local_Atlantis
    Local_Atlantis Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    You are amazing!! This is my exact goal! I want to run the colour me rad next summer!! :agree: You did so well, and I am so happy for you!
  • RachelAngel01
    RachelAngel01 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You are so right, running really is more mental than physical at times. My friend chants YOU CAN DO HARD THINGS when we run together and it gets tough. I love it!
  • marcglowacki
    marcglowacki Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Great accomplishment !
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Awesome, congratulations! I am planning to do my first 5k in December. I am doing the C25K plan and right now I can only run 3 mins continuously so it feels pretty ambitious to be planning for it, but my better half tells me I will be ready so I am thinking positive.
    I am so glad to hear you enjoyed it, keep it up and you will be telling us you are on your 10K next!
  • optionalsourcewins
    optionalsourcewins Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!! Congratulations on such a great accomplishment!!!
  • JenToms80
    JenToms80 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Congratulations - nothing like finshing your first race! :D
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful accomplishment!
  • madanda
    madanda Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Congrats! What a great accomplishment.
  • oceanaura
    Options
    Nice job! Congratulations!

I, too, ran my first 5k this weekend. My time was 44;00 even and I came in 115 out of 119. My 8 year old son and I ran it together and he got a 3rd place metal for his age group! I'm going to do another 5k training program to build my endurance and speed.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I really enjoy races and they can be quite addictive because the atmosphere can be very fun.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Congrats! :flowerforyou:
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • keladry89
    keladry89 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Awesome job, keep running XD
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That's an awesome achievement. (*)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    yay!! What next!!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    37:01 is a good time for your first 5k congrats

29509743.png
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I've walked two 5K's now, and it is getting easier. I'm beginning to wonder if I might be able to run some of these.
  • BlackStarlight
    BlackStarlight Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Massive achievement!! xx
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!