Good spice to flavor Quinoa

Options
Any suggestions?

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I don't know about spices but I cook mine in chicken stock instead of water and that makes a big difference
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Indeed, cooking with stock and adding just about any spice blend or seasoning veggie will help...garlic is a great one, but also finely chopped peppers and onions, radish, celery, sundried tomato, diced fresh or canned tomato, whatever you like. And as for spice mixtures, I often use garam masala and mix with red lentils. It comes out pretty delish.
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    Indeed, cooking with stock and adding just about any spice blend or seasoning veggie will help...garlic is a great one, but also finely chopped peppers and onions, radish, celery, sundried tomato, diced fresh or canned tomato, whatever you like. And as for spice mixtures, I often use garam masala and mix with red lentils. It comes out pretty delish.
    That sounds awesome!
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I find keeping it simple with quinoa is what works best. Just use a little broth, maybe a little bit of garlic and pepper. I will warn you, in my experience, quinoa is very sensitive to salt - it is VERY easy to over salt it. Usually the broth has more than enough salt for me.
  • renku
    renku Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I use a wedge of laughing cow and a coupe of tablespoons of chunky salsa
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    As an alternative to the broth, I like to cook mine in light coconut milk and adding a little curry
  • mirki002
    mirki002 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I like to rinse mine really well, then toast in a pot with olive oil and a crushed garlic clove for a minute or two. I add chicken or vegetable stock to that, and after it's done I add Mrs. Dash salt-free table seasoning, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I've done that and I do the same thing with jasmine rice. I think you can do most anything with it. It depends on what you are eating. For a slightly spicey flavor you can use chili powder, cumin and coriander. You can go for a Thai flavor and try curry and some coconut milk. I use a lot of thyme, basil and oregano too.

• Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I love to sprinkle different Ms. Dash seasonings on mine. Favorite is Lemon Pepper.
  • sydneydeb
    sydneydeb Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I toss mine into a thick chunky tomato soup