Not sure If I'm doing this right! Advice required.

Options
2»

Replies

• Devilbabi
    Devilbabi Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Aemely wrote: »
    When you entered in your current weight and goal weight, what did MFP tell you to eat to lose 1.5 lbs. a week? It seems to me you are eating way too few calories (or I suppose it's possible that you are really, really underestimating calories, but I find that harder to believe).

As you use the guided process (Goals > Change Goals > Guided), you can select your level of activity. I have my activity level set at Sedentary so that no regular exercise activities are counted in my baseline. Then, I enter in my "extra" exercise for the week. I try not to eat anything that I cannot at least roughly estimate, and I have found an eating pattern and foods that satisfy me without being overly caloric (eating breakfast every morning, peanut butter, protein, etc.). As you are first starting out, log everything you eat, every day (drinks included).

Remember to eat back (most) of your exercise calories. You should be slightly under the recommended number every day, as long as you are counting all food eaten and exercise completed. Calories minus exercise = your balance for the day.

Check out this site, which I think will make you rethink your calorie level: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ . Remember that food is fuel for exercise, and your eating a little bit less every day should not make you feel weak or angry all the time. If you don't feel deprived, you are more likely to stick to a healthy eating and exercise plan.

Oh, also, I have that RunKeeper is a good app that links to MFP and helps motivate me to do more walks, although it does tend to overestimate calories a smidge.

Good luck! Feel free to Friend me! :D

19507081.png

MFP told me to consume about 1350 a day and I will lose about 1kg a week on that, apparently. I stupidly set it too 1200 because I was told that would accelerate the process, I have set it back now though.
    I set mine as Sedentry too, I try to walk anywhere between 2-4kms a day, and have just started jogging as well. I use a HRM and the app Map My Walk and it feeds back into my MFP. I change the calories burnt on it too reflect what my heart rate monitor shows.

• Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Devilbabi wrote: »
    MFP told me to consume about 1350 a day and I will lose about 1kg a week on that, apparently. I stupidly set it too 1200 because I was told that would accelerate the process, I have set it back now though.

I set mine as Sedentry too, I try to walk anywhere between 2-4kms a day, and have just started jogging as well. I use a HRM and the app Map My Walk and it feeds back into my MFP. I change the calories burnt on it too reflect what my heart rate monitor shows.

It's a learning process. It sounds like you are on the right track! :)
  • Devilbabi
    Devilbabi Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    So she's not losing weight because she's eating to few calories? How does that work? Why is it you find it hard to believe the OP isn't underestimating her calories where she doesn't account for calories accurately? Do you know something we don't?

All I know is that if I eat too few calories (WAY too few calories, in this case), I feel like crap and don't stick to my plan. Also, I was attempting to be nice. :#

Oh gosh, it seems that everywhere you go there's one or two of these types! Thank you so much for your help none the less, your advice is more then welcomed.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    You just need to burn 500 calories a day MORE than you take in. in theory you could eat 5000 calories a day as long as you burn 5500.

No. The idea is not to burn off every single calorie you eat plus more so you 5000/5500 theory is not a good idea.

• libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Here are two links that may be good to review. The video makes an important point at 7:25.

Your goal should be to eat as much as you can while still encouraging weight loss. I am certain you can eat more than 1200 calories and still lose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW6SvIbmyAs&list=UUXDX5yHGUm5xIKv46yxm9JA

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I've normally eaten 1200 calories by lunch. I'd die if that was all I could eat all day. And if that was all I ate on a regular basis, I'd start to see things like my nails become brittle, my hair fall out, etc. At your weight and height, you can certainly eat more and still lose weight. I know you want the weight to come off immediateley, but that's not best for long-term weight management. Lose too quickly, and you're more likely to lose muscle, which you really want to keep. Lose too quickly, and your skin will be saggier as it takes some time for it to recoil.

As a pp said, you don't have to starve yourself to lose weight. I can create a caloric deficit on days when I eat 2400 calories. Check out this website for more info:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Devilbabi wrote: »
    So she's not losing weight because she's eating to few calories? How does that work? Why is it you find it hard to believe the OP isn't underestimating her calories where she doesn't account for calories accurately? Do you know something we don't?

All I know is that if I eat too few calories (WAY too few calories, in this case), I feel like crap and don't stick to my plan. Also, I was attempting to be nice. :#

Oh gosh, it seems that everywhere you go there's one or two of these types! Thank you so much for your help none the less, your advice is more then welcomed.
    What types would that be?

You know the type, the ones with their science and facts. :wink:
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    the worlds strongest man is 400 lbs and according to his BMI and his weight he is severely obese. He has a body fat of 9%!
    no he doesn't lol
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    the worlds strongest man is 400 lbs and according to his BMI and his weight he is severely obese. He has a body fat of 9%!
    no he doesn't lol

And the article I read said he's 280 pounds, not 400.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    YIKES - 5'11" @ 1200! How do you not pass out!? lol

I am an entire 1'1" shorter than you & I eat more than that to MAINTAIN!

At least go here iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ to get a second opinion. Go with the BMR #.

I don't know who 'told' you to go with 1200 in order to 'expedite' the wt-loss process but severely eating can have permanent ill impact on metabolism as well as having the opposite of the desired effect for some. The body registers the lack of food (calories) as a signal to conserve & hold on to every calorie consumed - preparing itself for a famine. SO ...

Good luck!