bones are prominent but i stilk have a belly!!??

Options
So my bones on my upper body such as my collar bone and my chest are showing, which makes me look like a skeleton, but i still have stomach fat which is very obvious and i weigh 102. Is this normal? Ima 19 year old girl who's 5'2. Should i keep working out to get more tone or should i stop?

Replies

• kmkgurl
    kmkgurl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Wondering same. Having same issue kinda... bump for answers
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Please seek help. You're way underweight.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    1) It sounds like "skinny fat", and 2) it sounds like both a change of diet and workout plan might be in order. I'm going to go out on a limb and say you lean more on cardio (coming from the bony comment), and suggest adding strength training into the mix. Free weights (I use dumbbells and a kettlebell at home!) along with compound exercises can help to "lean up" or "tone" when you're already at a small size, and the belly can smooth down a bit from these as well.

For diet, start chasing lean chicken and turkey for protein! I don't have much commentary on food because I tend to bounce around a lot on what works for me, but make sure you feed your muscles. They'll help to fill you out where the fat falls thin and slim down where fat likes to collect.

Stay healthy!

*Edited to add* Her BMI is actually safe. It's leaning toward underweight but hasn't quite hit that mark. Also, we don't have much insight to her body frame, and that matters.

To OP: Please lean more on quality than quantity at this point. You're at a fine weight to stop trying to lose, and at a great point to start trying to build. You won't get "bulky" as a girl, or any of that nonsense (to beat the drama before it starts), and it sounds like it may solve a lot of your concerns.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Please seek help. You're way underweight.

actually, it's in the low normal range. guessing she looks fine though.
  • Aviva92
    edited October 2014
    Options
    1) It sounds like "skinny fat", and 2) it sounds like both a change of diet and workout plan might be in order. I'm going to go out on a limb and say you lean more on cardio (coming from the bony comment), and suggest adding strength training into the mix. Free weights (I use dumbbells and a kettlebell at home!) along with compound exercises can help to "lean up" or "tone" when you're already at a small size, and the belly can smooth down a bit from these as well.

For diet, start chasing lean chicken and turkey for protein! I don't have much commentary on food because I tend to bounce around a lot on what works for me, but make sure you feed your muscles. They'll help to fill you out where the fat falls thin and slim down where fat likes to collect.

Stay healthy!

*Edited to add* Her BMI is actually safe. It's leaning toward underweight but hasn't quite hit that mark. Also, we don't have much insight to her body frame, and that matters.

To OP: Please lean more on quality than quantity at this point. You're at a fine weight to stop trying to lose, and at a great point to start trying to build. You won't get "bulky" as a girl, or any of that nonsense (to beat the drama before it starts), and it sounds like it may solve a lot of your concerns.

calling someone who is 5'2" and 102 pounds who claims to have bones sticking out "skinny-fat" is shameful.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »

calling someone who is 5'2" and 102 pounds skinny-fat is shameful.

It wasn't my intention. I was trying to be helpful on how she sees herself, via her description. I personally do not believe she is fat at all.

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Skinny-fat is merely a description for someone who is a normal weight but has a higher bodyfat % than might be expected at that weight, usually due to losing more lean mass than is ideal during weight loss.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »
    Skinny-fat is merely a description for someone who is a normal weight but has a higher bodyfat % than might be expected at that weight, usually due to losing more lean mass than is ideal during weight loss.

it's a terrible description for anyone who is that low of a weight. just used to shame people.
  • jzenteno123
    Options
    I actually do lean more on cardio but so far i've stopped and started lifting more weights and eating more protein. I have a 29in waist
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that a little fat in the lower stomach region is normal and healthy particularly for a female. We need extra space in that area for reproductive organs and a little fat to help protect them. Genetics will also play a role in whether a completely flat stomach is possible for you at a healthy weight. Sometimes it just isn't going to happen and it isn't worth stressing about either. I suspect you already look amazing
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Stay healthy!

calling someone who is 5'2" and 102 pounds who claims to have bones sticking out "skinny-fat" is shameful.

It sounds like you may not be aware of what "skinny-fat" means. It means exactly what the OP is describing...a person who is at average or even low weight, but still has visible fat deposits instead of muscle definition. The poster certainly meant no offense by saying "skinny-fat" and it's not meant as a derogatory or insulting term, merely a descriptor of a very specific physical condition.

ETA: Also, according to healthy weight recommendations, at 5' 2" a healthy weight goes all the way down to 97.5 lbs. OP is not underweight, but she would be better served to put on some weight in the form of muscle.
  • Aviva92
    Options

Stay healthy!

It sounds like you may not be aware of what "skinny-fat" means. It means exactly what the OP is describing...a person who is at average or even low weight, but still has visible fat deposits instead of muscle definition. The poster certainly meant no offense by saying "skinny-fat" and it's not meant as a derogatory or insulting term, merely a descriptor of a very specific physical condition.

well, it sounds like a silly term then to describe someone who is normal and healthy. i find it offensive. since when did skinny people need to be called fat? it's absurd.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options

Stay healthy!

well, it sounds like a silly term then to describe someone who is normal and healthy. i find it offensive. since when did skinny people need to be called fat? it's absurd.

Sorry you find the term offensive, but the majority don't, and you can rest assured that it is not meant in an offensive way when you see it on this forum. You'll mostly find people using the term in reference to themselves when they find they've achieved their goal weight but still lack definition and need to lift in order to get rid of the remaining undesirable bodyfat deposits and loose skin, such as at the back of the arms or inner thighs. Recompositioning to increase muscle mass and decrease bodyfat at the same weight can have really dramatic results.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    i have to say, you should never stop your workout plan. when you reach your goal it is your diet you should adjust, eat what your body needs with no defecit. and maintain your ideal weight. then work out for your health and to shape your body into the one you want.

but i think at your weight you definitely should not diet, it wont fix your problem with proportion... just change your workout plan as suggested. start building muscle. (or building it back) and make sure you eat enough to allow your body to build some muscle.

• jzenteno123
    Options
    So do any of you suggest a low carb diet to help with muscle definition and decrease belly fat?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    So do any of you suggest a low carb diet to help with muscle definition and decrease belly fat?

Personally, I wouldn't. You need to eat at maintenance or even a little extra to bulk, ensure that you're meeting a reasonable protein target (1 gram for every pound of lean body mass) and lift heavy. To carb or not to carb is a personal choice, but since you don't need to lose any weight, I don't see the point in depriving yourself.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options

i do not suggest a diet at all. if you are 102 and skinny everywhere but one place, you need to restore tha balance in your body by eating at least at maintainance and rebuilding muscle.

no more diet. it will not help you at all.

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    gmallan wrote: »
    Keep in mind that a little fat in the lower stomach region is normal and healthy particularly for a female. We need extra space in that area for reproductive organs and a little fat to help protect them. Genetics will also play a role in whether a completely flat stomach is possible for you at a healthy weight. Sometimes it just isn't going to happen and it isn't worth stressing about either. I suspect you already look amazing

Yeah, I agree with this.

Your stats are not underweight. But, it depends on frame size and other factors. I weigh 102 at 5'2". I am also an active dancer and lift weights. I reccomend weight lifting to improve body composition.

And different women have different body shapes. That's another factor.

Definitely don't try to lose more weight.

You can talk to a doctor about your concerns for personalized advice. They can be very helpful if you have a good doctor.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Stay healthy!

ETA: Also, according to healthy weight recommendations, at 5' 2" a healthy weight goes all the way down to 97.5 lbs. OP is not underweight, but she would be better served to put on some weight in the form of muscle.

Yes, this is correct information about the bmi range for a very small framed person (such as myself).
  • steff274
    steff274 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    hey will add you.. I am trying to actually put on abit! same height as you 103 pounds but am ribby I look too thin :neutral_face: guess everyone is different my size 24 inch waist jeans are loose atm..