ARNOLD CHIARI MALRORMATION

Options
I have ACM and 4 months ago i had decompression surgery - i have since put alot of weight on and im wanting to shift it, im wanting weight loss excersises to tone my thighs and tummy fairly quickly (no physical excersises or anything strenuous) and meal ideas that are protein rich and are 600kcals or lower :) so i can slowly loose the weight.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    To lose weight you only need a calorie deficit - and that can be achieved by diet alone. To tone (I presume meaning gain muscle?) you need to perform some kind of physical exercise. You will need to eat around 1 gram of protein per kilo of body weight every day, and not have a too large calorie deficit. It is helpful for satiety to eat carbs, fats and protein together in the same meal. But how you choose to layout your meals (size, frequency, home cooked or prepackaged, etc, etc) is entirely up to you.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you use Facebook, but this group may be helpful to you: https://www.facebook.com/groups/chiarimalformation/

I have dysautonomia so I know a lot of people with chiari malformations that use it.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    As above, weight loss can be achieved without exercise simply by eating at a calorie deficit. And to do that, you're in the right place because My Fitness Pal provides an easy way to track the calories in the food you're eating :-)

If you want to tone up your tummy and thighs, well you're not going to be able to do that without some form of exercise - you can lose fat by eating fewer calories, but you can't build muscle without putting some effort in (unfortunately!).

Is it your condition that prevents you from doing strenuous exercise (sorry I don't know anything about it!)? And how strenuous is strenuous? I would suggest swimming, or maybe something like yoga or pilates to help strengthen you up and tone your muscles, but maybe it's best to seek advice from your doctor.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    caloric deficit = weight loss. Exercise is the bonus, that helps us retain muscle mass while we're losing.
  • bb4886
    bb4886 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you use Facebook, but this group may be helpful to you: https://www.facebook.com/groups/chiarimalformation/

I have dysautonomia so I know a lot of people with chiari malformations that use it.

Im already part of it and the Ann Conroy :smile:
  • bb4886
    Options
    As above, weight loss can be achieved without exercise simply by eating at a calorie deficit. And to do that, you're in the right place because My Fitness Pal provides an easy way to track the calories in the food you're eating :-)

If you want to tone up your tummy and thighs, well you're not going to be able to do that without some form of exercise - you can lose fat by eating fewer calories, but you can't build muscle without putting some effort in (unfortunately!).

Is it your condition that prevents you from doing strenuous exercise (sorry I don't know anything about it!)? And how strenuous is strenuous? I would suggest swimming, or maybe something like yoga or pilates to help strengthen you up and tone your muscles, but maybe it's best to seek advice from your doctor.

Its my condition that stops me anything that causes any sort of pressure or elevated heart rate immobilises me with pain in my head followed by dizzyness.....

I do have muscle still but my fat has over taken it (ive only put 32lb on) but im quite weak and so wanting to get myself into a better place regarding my self image - i know ive had brain surgery but it annoys me that the weight gained so fast :(

I didnt even consider yoga - thats a great idea and will fit in great with my stretches ive been doing post op too :)
  • bb4886
    Options
    Ok so ive been on a site it says my calorie defiect should be around 1790 - so should i just knock 200 off a day and set my protein at 30% instead of 20% ?