need some direction

Options
I can really use some direction and support. And for you guys to be able to do that, here is a little background.

My weightloss issues started when i joined the military, as far as i can remember. I was extremely skinny at 5'5.5 and about 120 lbs or so. At bootcamp, we had to rush to eat as fast as could. I remember stuffing myself without regard to the nutrition but just wanting to fill up since we werent allowed snacks other than meal times. That somehow started a unhealthy relationship with food which has gone on far too long now, for the past 13 years even though i have been out of the military for about 9 years now.

In the meanwhile, i have lost weight, gained it all back again, lost it again etc etc. I have had two kids in the last 6 years, my youngest is 1 year old. I have lost all the pregnancy weight which was 50 lbs with each child but i am still overweight. I want to start eating healthy and working out but never find the time to workout. As soon as i want to, my kids start getting hungry, thirsty, bored etc. But i am seriously wanting to try 30 day shred and actually finish it.

In terms of eating, my eating habits suck. Lately, i have this mentality of eating everything in sight, as if i wont see it again. Not sure where its coming from. I haven't really deprived myself. I recently lost 10 lbs or so during a trip to my home country and looked and felt great but am slowly gaining it all back due to my unhealthy eating habits. Snacking is a huge issue. I feel the need to eat something at all times, to be constantly munching on something. Its disgusting but i dont know how to stop this cycle.

I am sorry this has become so long but please help me. Where should i start? I need to start somewhere but don't know how or where. I have all the information but feel i lack the willpower to stick to a plan. Please advise.

Replies

• nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    30DS is literally only 25 minutes. If you have it set up, ready to go with your stuff beside it you can do it. Either wake up 25 minutes before your kids do, or else just make sure they have water/food before you start. I do it first thing in the morning with my 9 month old crawling around me (this morning I had to do most of my crunches with an extra weight of my daughter standing holding on to me). It can be done.

With food - try to plan out your food for the day with lots of snacks built in. (A big bowl of berries, carrot sticks, lower calorie options), so that you can continue to snack all day. I literally much all day long at the office and usually stay within my calorie goal.

Drink lots of water.

Make sure your calorie goal is reasonable. If 1200 is going to be too little to you and you're going to feel hungry and then "blow it" on something junky, then move your level higher. I'm on 1800 calories + exercise and losing (although I have 40 lbs to lose and am 5'7").
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Do you have a husband / significant other that could watch the kids for an hour each day (or even 30 minutes) so you could get in a workout? If not, many gyms offer child care. If that isn't an option, take them for a walk / run in their stroller. Just get moving.

As far as the eating goes, you have full control over that. You just have to take it. Ask yourself, "do I have power over my food or does it have power over me?" Plan out your meals and snacks and stick to the plan. Log EVERYTHING, even when you cheat. I've found that having a grocery budget that I stick to doesn't allow for a lot of snacks so I'm more careful about meal planning.

You know the root of the problem (the way you view food because of the military) but you can't go back and change that. It's time to look forward, take ownership of the problem, your mind and your body and get healthy.

BTW - thank you for your military service.