Confused/lost after months of success.

Options
I've been at this since June, lost 20 (maybe more) pounds, and now I don't know what I'm doing all of a sudden. I thought I was going to try recomp but freaked out and decided to continue lifting on a deficit to lose more fat.

Here's what is bothering me:

If use the TDEE number on the iifm site I get 1937, -%15 = 1647. Except this is the number I got when I plugged .5 weekly loss into MFP. I've always eaten some exercise calories back when using MFP numbers, but in this case-if the TDEE method and MFP numbers match up, I really shouldn't be eating exercise calories back because the TDEE method already takes this into account....right?

The scooby calculator gives me a TDEE of 2224, which sounds much more desirable but who knows. Either or neither of the numbers could be correct.

I'm ALSO considering eating at maintenance and giving body recomp a try. Maybe should make a separate thread but if you're responding and know a thing or two about it, would love to hear your thoughts/stories.

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Yes, TDEE method already figures in your activity, so you wouldn't eat back exercise calories. Why not try 1850, right around the middle of the two estimates you got, and see what happens? You wouldn't gain at that amount, so it can't hurt to try.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yes, TDEE method already figures in your activity, so you wouldn't eat back exercise calories. Why not try 1850, right around the middle of the two estimates you got, and see what happens? You wouldn't gain at that amount, so it can't hurt to try.

I don't know. I've been shooting for 1647, but kind of keeping that 1850 in mind as I indulge on the weekends. So I say I'm averaging 1850 and not losing anything. I'm just a mess. I'm lifting pretty heavy (for me) too, so I want to make sure I'm eating enough but I'm really wanting to get more fat off me. But then people are telling me to stop losing too.

I'll take a look at the scale tomorrow and reassess. If the 1850 is good, I'll be so happy.

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    How long have you been averaging 1850? With not having much to lose, it's going to take time.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Two to three weeks. I tried to give myself a diet break and eat at maintenance but was not mentally prepared for that, so I kept a bit of a deficit.