Thoughts on vitamins? Pros? Cons?

Options
2»

Replies

• mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Pros: I feel better since I started taking a multivitamin a couple months ago. I also don't eat the healthiest and I have an iron deficiency...but everyone in my house got the flu a few weeks ago EXCEPT for me! I like to thank the vitamins for that :)

Cons: The vitamins I take are giant...hard to swallow (that's what she said)
  • RISEOFPATRIOTS
    RISEOFPATRIOTS Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    If you go meatless, you'll need a B-12 supplement. Ask your doctor about it and he will tell you how much to take. If you go the route of the melt-in-your-mouth B-12, try the Natrol ones. They melt really fast and taste really good. Some B-12 tastes like...excrement.

Otherwise, you can get all your vitamins and minerals from a vegetarian diet. And they can be healthier than meat eaters' diets.

What about cholesterol and other fat soluble vitamins? Did you know that some of the vitamins and minerals found in plants are poorly absorb by humans? Vegetables contain many anti-nutrients, natural defences of the plants against predators, mostly minerals, they bind to them and you can't absorb them, vitamin A, it is almost non absorbable by humans, nonheme iron is another one and the list goes on.
    Omega 3 and calcium isn't hard though.

For rich Omega 3 foods other than seafood are:
    Flaxseeds
    Chia seeds
    walnuts
    Brussels sprouts
    Cauliflower

Calcium rich foods:
    Milk
    cheese
    Almond Milk
    Sesame seeds
    Chia Seeds
    Spinach
    Kale
    Cinnamon spice (I'm serious)
    yougurt
    Bok Choy

Look here for their info http://nutritiondata.self.com/

There are several types of omega 3 and omega 6, the ones found in plants are ALA and LA, seeds indeed contain a high amount of them, but the ones that our body needs are EPA and DHA, it is true that our bodies can convert some ALA to them, it is also true that the ratio is incredibly low, also, if you consume high amounts of omega 6, your body will not have time for the omega 3 conversion, and most of the plant-based foods that are rich in omega 3 are richer in omega 6. There is nothing that can compare to fish in that regard and the EFA's are crucial for optimal health.

Calcium has a similar story, thing is that calcium interferes with iron absorption, therefore consuming many plant-based-calcium-rich foods is going to make you iron deficient. Another story is how much calcium is enough, which can be discussed.

Anyway, calcium needs vitamins D and K2 in order to go where you want it, if you just consume calcium from plants and you do not consume natto (a Japanese fermented food rich in K2, only plant source of this vitamin), you will clog your arteries and have a cardiovascular disease, stones, osteoporosis or things of that matter.

That is why the best sources of calcium usually come packed with the other things that you need, like eggs or milk products.

One last thing, most of the non-dairy milks sold out there contain calcium carbonate which is a pretty much non-absorbable form of calcium, so you are just basically throwing your many away.

Makes sense. I was just saying omega 3 fats aren't as hard some think. Well for calcium you aren't supposed to consume more than 250% of it per day but then again you can get vitamin D from mushrooms, salmon, and sunlight. I consume eggs, meats, and cheese which do have this K2 you speak of. Natto is bad for you because of the fact it has soy which used to be one of the best superfoods until a bunch health concerns rose on it.

Even almond milk though almonds are a good source of calcium?