What is your most treasured memory?

Options
Mine is one Christmas years ago, our power had been out for a few days, so we had the fireplace running constantly. It was Christmas, and it was the first time my family had spent together with no TV, internet, etc. in a very long time. We all sat around the fire and listened to Christmas carols on the radio, and told stories and laughed. I think about that memory all the time.

What about you?

Replies

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    1986. I had just lost my job. I was 32 and had been looking for work. Couldn't find any. Two failed marriages. Broke. I had decided that the only way I was going to make it was if I could re-enlist in the Marine Corps. I made an appointment to see the recruiter. My brother came over right before I was going to the recruiter. He went with me. Afterwards, we went to a local restaurant for lunch. They had a bar, that we sat in and talked for several hours. I can't recall what we talked about. Just a feeling I have of him being there for me.

That was probably the worst era in my life. Shortly after that, I would move 1,000 miles away and start the life I lead now. He would follow. In just a year or so after that, he was diagnosed with AIDS. I would have a daughter in 1993. He deteriorated very fast. He told me that I was going to be a great Dad. He told me that all he wanted to do was live to see her 1st Birthday. He did. It was the last time he left his house. He died a couple of weeks later.

I'll never forget that afternoon in 1986. Something changed for me. Steve helped facilitate that change. I'm not sure how.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    This.

32208_401032002871_1688668_n.jpg?oh=fbc749fa3620820dac4490a5a1c959fb&oe=54E5BE1B
  • La_Malfaisante
    La_Malfaisante Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    The day I had my kids
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    April 22, 2002. My birthday before I ruptured a disc in my back. It's the last memory/most recent memory I have of being completely pain free. As the years go by I'm starting to forget what being normal really feels like, so I try to take myself back to that day mentally sometimes. I woke up the next morning with pain and numbness from the hips down and was never the same after.
  • Hockey_Winger
    Hockey_Winger Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    The sound of my daughter breathing again and the relief of hearing the sirens in the back ground calling out that help was coming.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Every single moment I've had to spend with my husband and my children since I was diagnosed with brain cancer. And every scan I've had and heard the doctor tell me there's no regrowth yet of my tumor.
  • mbailey423
    mbailey423 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Looking down at my wife on the floor playing with our newborn boy/girl twins and having them all look up at me at the same time and smile because it was me standing there