HELP! PLEASE!

Options
I just weighed in and gained 0.8 lbs :( I worked out very hard this week. It was a rough week for me with trying to overvome my hunger and not give in. I did give in a few times and i think that affected my weight. What do i do?? Im so upset with myself

Replies

• sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Water weight can account for a gain. Water weight can be due to excess sodium, training hard (muscles holding on to water), or hormonal issues. No worries. Shake it off and keep working hard.

Do what you know is right and the number on the scale will follow.

Sometimes it just takes its time. Weight loss is not linear.
  • legowrangler
    legowrangler Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    sllm1 wrote: »
    Water weight can account for a gain. Water weight can be due to excess sodium, training hard (muscles holding on to water), or hormonal issues. No worries. Shake it off and keep working hard.

Do what you know is right and the number on the scale will follow.

Sometimes it just takes its time. Weight loss is not linear.

What she said :wink:
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I just weighed in and gained 0.8 lbs :( I worked out very hard this week. It was a rough week for me with trying to overvome my hunger and not give in. I did give in a few times and i think that affected my weight. What do i do?? Im so upset with myself

When you say that you gave in a few times ... 1. how many times, and 2. by how many calories?

• Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Less than a pound is NOTHING to stress over.
  • jcenalover42377
    jcenalover42377 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i would say i really gave in about 3-4 times this week. The first thing i had was a texas toast garlic bread, i also had one of my sons chicken nuggets. I also made cookies for my son and ate one. It was within my calories for the day but i didnt feel good about it at all.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    0.8 lbs is nothing to worry so much about. Your weight fluctuates everyday. You know what to do so just keep going.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    What does "giving in a few times" mean exactly?

That said, a pound is about 3,500 calories excess. So it's not likely you did that (although I don't know, maybe you did. Only you can answer that)

EDIT: One chicken nugget and cookie that are both within your intake limit isn't going to make you gain weight. Sorry just read that.

It's more likely that your gain is water weight, and weight can fluctuate daily. Mine for example fluctuates about 2-3 pounds daily, depending on time of month, what sort of exercise I did the day before, and if I ate anything salty or overly carby last night.

So yeah. Don't stress out over less than 1 measly pound.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i would say i really gave in about 3-4 times this week. The first thing i had was a texas toast garlic bread, i also had one of my sons chicken nuggets. I also made cookies for my son and ate one. It was within my calories for the day but i didnt feel good about it at all.

you need to look at your relationship with food if you cant eat a single chicken nugget or a cookie without feeling bad...
  • Beploveshomer
    Beploveshomer Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Do you have a weight chart? I have one on my fridge, it's a month long chart, I weigh in everyday. And it is all over the place! Up, down, up, down. Somedays as much as FOUR pounds! But as a whole, when I step back and look, it is gradually going down. DONT freak over less than a pound, just keep on truckin'!
  • jcenalover42377
    jcenalover42377 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    so, are you saying i cant feel bad about eating those things? Im trying to figure out what my relationship with food is. And if i want to make this a lifestyle change i need to understand what i can and cant do. im sorry im going on and on, i just really want to know if im doing whats best for my body
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    If you were active during the week when you had those foods, then you shouldn't have noticed a difference. However, one thing I am noticing is addition of simple carb choices, like the garlic bread, a chix nugget, and the cookie. Those choices will spike your blood sugar and introduce problems in the program.

The best way to minimize problems is to simply avoid those foods altogether. In fact, one way to look at your program is to accept the fact those foods just should not be eaten for the rest of your life. Sounds hard but take it from me. I have lost 50 pounds in 7 months accepting the fact that I can no longer eat those foods - and I eat whole nutritious foods and do so on a daily basis.

I know it's hard. I agree with the comments here - .8 is nothing to worry about and physical activity is very important - which you are doing. Just be cognizant of your eating patterns and I am sure you will see the weight drop off over time. :smile:
  • Kiyy
    Kiyy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I posted this under another topic. I really struggled with this for so long and now its easy for me. I hope this helps you....
    I am really good at exercise but I have had a difficult time getting the diet thing under control. This time I decided to see a shrink about loosing weight. She taught me to talk to my food. Each time im faced with a decision to eat or not eat something ask myself who is in control. that food or me. Next I learned that im an emotional eater and im a food addict. In the past the only way i lost weight was starvation. Balance has been a struggle. so I recently figured out that the largest part of my problem is that I am facing a addiction issue. This article is what I finally learned is happening to me. Now that I understand this I'm finally loosing weight. Its so much easier now that I figured this out. If you are like me than I hope this information helps you. ........................................................................................ ....http://authoritynutrition.com/how-to-overcome-food-addiction/....................................................
    Of course, we all need to eat something. Otherwise we’ll die of starvation. But no one needs to eat sugar, refined wheat flour or any of the modern junk foods that people tend to lose control over. Most food addicts will never be able to eat junk food like “regular” people again. That’s the cold, hard truth. But if they manage to avoid the “trigger foods,” then they should be able to eat healthy and lose weight without problems. The truth is… complete abstinence is the only thing that reliably works against addiction. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you will recover. Although the “everything in moderation” message may work for some people, this advice is a complete disaster for food addicts. When it comes to addiction, moderation fails. Every time.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    so, are you saying i cant feel bad about eating those things? Im trying to figure out what my relationship with food is. And if i want to make this a lifestyle change i need to understand what i can and cant do. im sorry im going on and on, i just really want to know if im doing whats best for my body

Well, you can feel bad, but you really shouldn't. I eat all the things I used to love for the most part, but I fit them in my calories. I have a treat every day as well, whether it be a cookie (or 2) or some other kind of sweet. If you tell yourself those things are off limits, you will want them more. I rarely crave sweets because I haven't given them up. What's best for your body is to maintain a healthy lifestyle. If you are depriving yourself, that is not likely going to be a sustainable eating plan for you. You can eat treats and other foods you love in moderation. Just fit them in to your calories, use portion control, and move on. It sounds like you're trying to be perfect with your eating. Nobody's perfect with their eating all the time. Don't sweat it.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

no, i'm saying you SHOULDNT feel bad, not that you cant feel bad... i cant control your feelings after all.

one cookie wont make you fat just like one salad wont make you thin... if you're hitting your calorie and macro targets and you're in a deficit then you WILL lose weight...

IMO life is too short to never eat a cookie again!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    If you were active during the week when you had those foods, then you shouldn't have noticed a difference. However, one thing I am noticing is addition of simple carb choices, like the garlic bread, a chix nugget, and the cookie. Those choices will spike your blood sugar and introduce problems in the program.

The best way to minimize problems is to simply avoid those foods altogether. In fact, one way to look at your program is to accept the fact those foods just should not be eaten for the rest of your life. Sounds hard but take it from me. I have lost 50 pounds in 7 months accepting the fact that I can no longer eat those foods - and I eat whole nutritious foods and do so on a daily basis.

I know it's hard. I agree with the comments here - .8 is nothing to worry about and physical activity is very important - which you are doing. Just be cognizant of your eating patterns and I am sure you will see the weight drop off over time. :smile:

This has worked for me, as well. The thing is, I DON'T crave those foods anymore, nor do I feel deprived or even miss them.
    I know this is an unpopular opinion, but it does work for some of us. Worth a try!
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Not to be crass, but 0.8 lbs could be that you have to poop.
    Or you ate too much salt/are retaining water.
    These small indulgences are not going to affect your weight so quickly...don't beat yourself up. You were still in your calorie goal.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I looked at your food diary and 1200 calories is maybe why you are so hungry and going over on calories. Eat more to lose, figure out your TDEE and depending how much you need to lose -10% to -20% deficit of your TDEE. Also you need to be using food scale, weigh all solid foods and measure all liquids!!!

OP read this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

There is no reason why you have to cut out "simple carb choices." Moderation is key. It sounds like you're holding on to a bit of water from training so hard. Make sure you're getting adequate fluids (you'll hold onto even MORE water if you get dehydrated), sleep, and allowing yourself rest days so your muscles can recover. Also, take measurements - the scale is just one way of notating progress and a lot of times measurements are a better indicator of progress than that number. :smile:
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I bet if you weighed yourself in about 5 minutes your weight would change again. Scales are never that consistent. Best to weigh yourself 3 or 4 times straight after each other and take an average, perhaps moving the scale from one place in the room to another.