What exactly is "Lifting Heavy" ?

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    you definitely feel it. Little old dude with a walker offered to help me walk down the stairs from the gym, only two flights, but best I could muster was a step at a time. heh.

You're a nutter. seriously. people think I'm batty for doing Sheiko- the idea of doing 300 anything makes me watch to punch myself in the face.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    First time I did it, it was 300 extensions, 300 hamstring curls... doing it 60 reps to a set. I wanted to die, and it took forever.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    It's amazing how many different answers are given for this question. "Heavy" lifting is more of a reference to Maximal Strength or Absolute Strength lifting loads which are ~85% to 95% of your 1RM.
    Do a squat session where you're pushing your 80% for 10x5, supersetted with sets of 10 deadlifts at 60% and then 15 box jumps, then go do 300 reps of leg extensions at 80% to cool down.

That's FR.

What's the training purpose of that?
  • dbmata
    Options
    conditioning for extended climbing sessions in conditions where I've already been working under load for a few hours.

Alpine climbing.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    conditioning for extended climbing sessions in conditions where I've already been working under load for a few hours.

Alpine climbing.

Ah okay. What does an upper body session look like?
  • dbmata
    edited October 2014
    Options
    All pretty high volume with progressive loads, I'll work up bench from maybe 85# to 135# and sit there for a few sets of 20 or 30 reps, slow eccentric, quick concentric, supersetted with dips, lat raises, delt pulls. Then I'll work up to 5 sets or so of 3-5 reps at 225 which was my assumed 1rm until I put up 245 on saturday. I'll do that while energy stays with me, then I'll hit an FSL to finish up.

Then I'll work BB rows, with weighted decline crunches or 50 rep pushup sets in between sets of the row, then I'll finish up with pull ups and chin ups, as many as I can legit, then throw on some bands and do a few more.

I'll do a session like that once a week, then a lighter session where I'll hit volume over maximal weight, days like that I might stay at 135, but hit 150+ reps total volume for my bench. Or I'll do that with pulls, at around my 60% for a high volume.

Now that my knee is doing a lot better, I can actually cut some of this and spend some time bouldering.
  • carlosjenno
    carlosjenno Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    This thread has made me laugh!

I remember doing a week of 100 rep sets. That was vomit inducing.

Heavy weight/low rep and light weight/long reps. There's a place for all of that, mix it up, keep your muscles guessing. And plenty of cardio. And core.

#ironman
  • JoRocka
    Options
    , keep your muscles guessing.

sigh.
  • carlosjenno
    edited October 2014
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    sigh.

I thought your explanation above was excellent. I was going for the simplified Northern imbecile version.

Maybe "muscles" was the wrong word. Maybe I should've used the word "body" instead. I've always been a believer in mixing it up to shock muscles into growth. Doing the same thing, over and over and over leads to overtraining and zero gains.
  • JoRocka
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I've already contributed significantly to the thread- but I mean- if I must.....

muscle confusion and "keeping your muscles guessing" isn't really a thing.

There is a reason why power lifters and oly lifters train the same lifts over and over and over again. The way you get good at something is by doing the thing.

If you just want a fitness routine to keep busy- sure change it as much as you want- but the goal there is to check the box "yes I worked out today"- not "I have long terms goals"

While I agree sometimes you do need to change the routine- more often than not it has to do with mental acuteness and you got bored and aren't training as hard as you once were.

Most people can stand to run the same program for months.

I heard someone tell a girl once she needed to change her program up every 2 weeks.
    Are you kidding me? you can't even get and really successful results in 2 weeks.

• carlosjenno
    Options
    Edited my response. There's an argument for both camps, for volume v quality. I've seen some HUGE lifters who's form is awful and some ridiculously strong folk who never really get any bigger. What do I know, I've only been doing it 35 years. And I'm still rubbish.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I think there's something to discuss there.

Volume v Quality.

Why can't you have both? Every rep should be a quality rep, or don't do it, eh?
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    itsfatum wrote: »
    Heavier than you are used to. Heavy enough that your muscles get to failure on each set, every single time.
    That's how I see it, no matter what weight I'm lifting.

that's not how this works.

Heavy lifting is a rep range- and is about progressive loading and or long term training for a bigger goal- rather than just endless reps for cardio- or muscle endurance.

Training to failure for EVER lift EVER workout is a recipe for failure and a high way called nogainz.

Guidelines on this - and I repeate GUIDE LINES
    0 reps = too heavy
    1 rep = one rep max/heavy
    1-5= heavy lifting
    5-10 = heavy - and often associated with higher volume training and often associated with hypertrophy.
    10-15 = muscle endurance
    15+ = body pump type classes see this type of loading and often is more about the cardio aspect than the strength aspect.

Either way- pick a goal.
    Then pick a path to the goal.

If the goal is simply to not lose muscle mass whilst losing weight anything 15 and under will get you there- so the whole 8-12 range is good- but not mandatory- if you want to power lift- have at it. There is not a single "RIGHT" or "WRONG" way to do it. But let it be goal driven.

quoting for future reference.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    What do you consider "lifting heavy"?

"Lifting Heavy" is generally synonymous with strength training...which is a term often thrown around to describe any kind of resistance training...but really, strength training is actually it's own thing...it is training for optimal strength. This is generally done in the 1-6 rep range at 80-95% or so of your max lift. It is also synonymous with compound lifts as the foundation of a particular program.

As a matter of general fitness, I work in a variety of rep ranges at different times. When I'm working in a "heavy" rep range, I generally also have a few assistance lifts that I do which are generally in the hypertrophy range and some body weight stuff that is generally in the endurance/stamina range.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    I've already contributed significantly to the thread- but I mean- if I must.....

muscle confusion and "keeping your muscles guessing" isn't really a thing.

Jo, unfortunately "muscle confusion" is a very real thing. It's just a very wrong, poorly supported, but unfortunately well-marketed thing. It seems like if something has a weekly 60-min infomercial on it, then people think it must be real and good. :(

• JoRocka
    Options
    agreed.

I find it cators to people who A. can't commit b/c they are "bored" or B. need results "fast".

shrug. I mean- I like muscles to be educated- not confused ;)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    does muscle confusion lead to toning JoRocka?

I am joking.. just two very very annoying things the media push
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    WolnaDusza wrote: »
    What do you consider "lifting heavy"?
    For me, it's getting my fat carcass out of bed every morning.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    shrug. I mean- I like muscles to be educated- not confused ;)

Educated on pushing and pulling heavy *kitten*!
    does muscle confusion lead to toning JoRocka?

Pretty sure it leads to ignorance and no results.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Guidelines on this - and I repeate GUIDE LINES
    0 reps = too heavy
    1 rep = one rep max/heavy
    1-5= heavy lifting
    5-10 = heavy - and often associated with higher volume training and often associated with hypertrophy.
    10-15 = muscle endurance
    15+ = body pump type classes see this type of loading and often is more about the cardio aspect than the strength aspect.

Either way- pick a goal.
    Then pick a path to the goal.

If the goal is simply to not lose muscle mass whilst losing weight anything 15 and under will get you there- so the whole 8-12 range is good- but not mandatory- if you want to power lift- have at it. There is not a single "RIGHT" or "WRONG" way to do it. But let it be goal driven.

This makes sense to me! Thank you.