What worked for YOU?

Options
beth0277
beth0277 Posts: 217 Member
I have tried so many things....Weight watchers, no sugar diet, "clean eating", low calories, low carbs, etc... I've never stuck to anything. The only times I have lost weight have been when I was eating far too few calories and I rebounded and gained it all back and then some. I'm starting my journey again, at the highest weight of my life, with at least 50 pounds to lose. I think the only thing that will truly work for me is a realistic calorie deficit. Still having treats, but making smarter decisions and staying within my calories.

What is the one thing that made you stick with it? Wherever you may be in your journey. I realize what works for one most likely won't be exactly what works for another, but I'm interested in hearing your A-HA plan?

Replies

• drumsen
    Options
    keto works wonders for me.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto
    a wonderful community with tons of helpful advice. take your time and don't hop straight in, the start may be rough but it is so worth it.
    keep on rocking!
  • patb987
    patb987 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    MFP with a friend! Chances are you know someone else who would want to do it with you. Worked like a charm for me to get back into shape.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not one special kind of eating diet. Not any diet with a name actually. I just made sure to eat as close to 100 g of protein a day as possible, do as much weight training as cardio weekly and dont have crazy eating days more than once a month when Im PMS. I kept up a good 60-70% effort, 4 days a week for 2 years. Lowered my weight and my body fat and got that elusive 'toned look' because of it and came out the otherside with an incredibly bigger comprehension of how this works and how to make it work for me. (which no one else can teach you)

• sengalissa
    sengalissa Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    beth0277 wrote: »
    I have tried so many things....Weight watchers, no sugar diet, "clean eating", low calories, low carbs, etc... I've never stuck to anything. The only times I have lost weight have been when I was eating far too few calories and I rebounded and gained it all back and then some. I'm starting my journey again, at the highest weight of my life, with at least 50 pounds to lose. I think the only thing that will truly work for me is a realistic calorie deficit. Still having treats, but making smarter decisions and staying within my calories.

What is the one thing that made you stick with it? Wherever you may be in your journey. I realize what works for one most likely won't be exactly what works for another, but I'm interested in hearing your A-HA plan?

For me: taking myself seriously. Considering myself worthy of looking fantastic. Which mean: not sabotaging myself. Not slipping into old habits. Doing this for me and forever because I want to treat myself the best way possible.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I've been tracking macros and it's helped a lot (though I'm still learning). I found that I was WAY under on protein most of the time and now that I've tweaked that number some my blood-sugar levels have stabilized and I'm not riding the rollercoaster of cravings and binges. Always try to eat a little protein, fat and carbs at each meal and I don't find myself dying for a brownie at 2 pm anymore. That and adding strength training. I haaaaaate distance running so just never used to workout, but I found weight lifting to be addictive (it's fun to see the weight go up and feel strong) so I've managed to stick to it. Finding a form of exercise you like, and then reminding yourself that how you eat will influence how you perform, is a good start :)
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move more.
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Going to a doctor and dietitian is working for me. I struggled way too long with stupid "diets", so I gave up trying to figure it out on my own and went to a place that knew what they are talking about. Now I'm finally losing at a steady pace. No stressing anymore. Simple. Everyone is different, so something that may work for someone else may not work for you. I'm not low carbs, but I do watch my sugars and carb levels closely and eat more protein. Calorie needs are going to be different for your height/weight/sex/amount of exercise you do. I'm sure you can find the same information online somewhere, I was tired of struggling by myself so I decided to go to a professional. Best decision I have done regarding my weight loss journey.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    ...the same thing as everyone else. Calorie deficit. Some folks follow all sorts of convoluted plans or particular diets, etc.

I count calories. I eat a certain amount. I lose. I eat another amount, I maintain.

I eat what I like, hit my protein goal, stay within limits.. and the results match expectations.

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    For me exercising loads works, and eating healthily. I aim for high protein and low(ish) carbs, and around 1500 calories.
    For exercise I vary what I do, and I do quite a bit of strength training.
    I lost 66lbs after my 2nd baby but sadly I gained in my 3rd pregnancy so I'm having to lose again.

I enjoy exercising so that helps. I was at the gym until 38 weeks pregnant so I must enjoy it lol. I also enjoy eating healthily, and I make sure I have a treat at the weekend so I'm not deprived of anything.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I look up my TDEE every few weeks using online calculators and use that as my baseline. Its only an estimate of how much I burn on the average day but it gives me a max calorie number and I aim for 200-500 less per day. It also means that I get to eat real food and at a real amount. Aiming for 1800 cals per day is a healthy, sustainable and enjoyable number to eat. And if I am hungry or feeling emotional or want to splurge, then at least I know how much I can eat up to before I risk hurting my goals.

I pre-log my daily calories as much as possible. It actually allows for flexibility because if changes to the plan have to happen you know what areas can give. Go out for coffee with a colleague? Give up the dinner roll planned for supper or cut your protein portion by 30%. Friend or hubby wants to go for dinner? You have 650 calories planned for supper, what menu item is the best match.

Also I eat veggies- as many as I can manage and I'm always asking myself how many kinds did I eat that day. They give my diet the volume necessary to feel full. Sure I could eat 1800 cals in junk but then I would over eat more than I ought because the signal to stop doesnt get triggered for me.

This is my life. It needs to be enjoyable. If I go over one day, its not the end of the world. You have to look at the big picture.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Ceci_O_K wrote: »
    Eat less, move more.

Add lifting heavy things, and this is what worked for me.

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move more.

Eating more. Moving heavier things on a pre-determined schedule.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    beth0277 wrote: »

Eating whatever I liked in a balanced way that allowed me to still remain under my calorie goal... and exercising. That's really all there is to it, barring medical issues anyway.
  • melodylou
    melodylou Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Deciding that my health is my highest priority. Deciding that treats are for special occasions, and special occasions don't happen all that often. Taking it one day at a time. Understanding that the process is not linear.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    Eat less, move more.

Eating more. Moving heavier things on a pre-determined schedule.

I will say that when I hit a plateau, I upped my calories by choosing a lower loss per week goal and started running (Couch to 5k) on top of the bicycling I was doing.

Worked for me. I have maintained my goal weight for almost a year.

Everybody is different. Find what works for you and do it. Find activities that you enjoy doing, or you won't keep them up.

• jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    walking and tracking everything I ate and drank

29509743.png
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,221 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I just logged my foods as accurately and honestly as possible, and attempted to eat within the calorie allotment most of the time. If I went over I didn't stress about it, but I did make an effort to stay under for the next couple of days. I lost more than 70 pounds and am keeping it off with this strategy. It sounds like exactly what you've decided to do. I also found that finding 'friends' here on MFP helped keep me honest and on track. :flowerforyou: Good luck!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Eating at a reasonable deficit. TDEE method. Accurate and consistent logging of calories (and later, macros). Lifting heavy.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    Well, I'm only 7 lbs down so take this advice or leave it.

What's working for me is I set my MFP goal to 1 lb loss per week. Then I eat whatever I want and I eat back at least a portion of my exercise calories. I've found that I get more "bang for my buck" if I eat simple foods like chicken, peas, rice, etc. instead of casseroles; but I eat those too when the mood strikes me.
  • hensue11
    hensue11 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Eating my lightly active calories or less (1900) and working out...just found i love Boxing with Kelly Coffey Meyer, no special diet, just sticking to the 1900, and making ajustments thru out the day, to make sure i get the 1900 or less(i didnt use to do that) once i had splurged i would give up for the day, but now, if i have cake with lunch, i will make sure have low cal dinner etc....
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!