Really concerned about meds

Options
I stopped taking my paxil for a couple days and have been on a low low calorie and the results have been great! In the past I have gained weight on my paxil (but i've eaten uncontrollably) I'm so worried the paxil is going to stall my weight loss. My husband has recently started effexor and has been losing a lot of weight so i'm trying to switch. Any thoughts?

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    The most important thing is getting the right med for your mental health, not for weight gain or loss. Each one will work differently for each person and just because your husband is losing on effexor doesn't mean you won't gain on it. Take what you need and be aware of the calories you are eating. Psychotropic meds will not make you gain on their own but they can affect your hunger and also your willpower to resist overeating. Keep a journal of hunger, temptations to binge, etc and see how it effects you before even thinking of changing.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor.

Stoping ADs without doctor supervision can't have really disasterous consequences.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Can*

Mobile won't let me edit :(.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    OP, you're not qualified to make decisions about your meds and neither are random strangers on the internet. Talk to your pharmacist and/or doctor a.s.a.p.

Seriously, I don't get this. My gym buddy stopped taking one of her BP meds becaue it was making her retain water so she wasn't losing as fast. Really, you're going to risk a stroke so the scale shows a lower number? I can't even count how many times I have given her crap for this. SMH
  • legowrangler
    legowrangler Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Well just so y'all know I didn't stop the meds because of that. I had a lot going on and forgot to take them sooo yea really don't need any snarky comments
  • elphie754
    Options
    I was not trying to be snarky at all. I see the consequences of people stoping psych meds at work all the time. They are not pretty. Depending on how long you have been on them and how high your dosage was, just stopping cold turkey can lead to seizures as well as other medical emergencies.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You should never stop taking a medication without discussing it with your doctor.

What works for one person may not work for another, so taking the pills your husband takes isn't necessarily a good idea. It's not necessarily a bad one, either. The doctor is the person to ask.

Nobody is qualified to help you online. You really need to ask your doctor...and give his plan a shot. Do your very best with his recommendation. If it doesn't work out, go back and say, "This isn't working for me because blah, blah and blingily blahs..."

Good luck. :)
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    From OP:
    In the past I have gained weight on my paxil (but i've eaten uncontrollably)

What exactly does that mean? If you gained weight at a time you concurrently took Paxil and ate "uncontrollably", why would you assume it's the med that caused the weight gain, not the large caloric intake?

As others have said, don't stop antidepressants without consulting your doctor first and take care of your mental health. But also certainly try modifying your eating habits before jettisoning important medications.

You have the tools you need right here. Don't expect instant fixes to your weight issue but you will lose weight if you stick to it.

• elphie754
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Talk to your doctor.

Stoping ADs without doctor supervision can have really disasterous consequences.

I edited for you to make the response easier.

True.

Patients are always told this by their M.D. when he or she prescribes the SSRI. Both for the health and safety of the patient and for liability reasons.

Sorry Elphie, didn't mean to tell you anything you already knew. I work in medical too. My earlier response was more a reminder to the OP.

Didn't think you did :). And TY for correcting to make it easier to quote. The mobile version is a bit wonky on my end.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Well just so y'all know I didn't stop the meds because of that. I had a lot going on and forgot to take them sooo yea really don't need any snarky comments
    oh boy....getting my popcorn ready for this one....
  • legowrangler
    Options
    what i'm trying to say is I accidentally didn't take them for a couple of days but now i'm back on them
  • legowrangler
    Options
    sorry guys don't mean to be so on edge but i just missed a couple of doses accidentally
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Good ...keep taking them. Find a way to remember to take them. A couple of days may not hurt you, but don't let it become a habit. And, like everyone else has said .... talk these things over with your doctor or call your insurance companies nurse help line and talk to them. Good luck
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    yeah, every so often i stop taking my codeines usually for a week or two, and it not a nice feeling going cold turkey with them, was same coming off amitriptyline many years ago, and others.

So as others have said, talk to your doctor, do it safely, the after effects really can be super bad.
  • StephTheVeggieKiller
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    Talk to your doctor

THIS! Take care of yourself, sugar. Thats a serious medication and noone wants anything bad to happen to you!