Buffalo doctor just back from W. Africa returns to work Monday

Options
2»

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Tiamo719 wrote: »
    Seriously guys, would you want your physician to treat you after returning from West Africa? I would not be comfortable with this.

Since he had not been treating ebola patients why would anyone be worried, as a great statesman once said "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself".

• klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Well, I AM from Buffalo and although he wasn't in any direct contact I think that personally, I'd prefer if he took a couple days at home before seeing patients. If for any other reason than to just relax and spend some time with his family.

I'm not concerned though, that now this area will be a hotbed of Ebola but I'm sure now people around here are gonna be insane crazy about this and the local news is going to blow this out of completely out of proportion as well.

I do think however that it's an amazing testament to the human experience that people are willing to put themselves at risk to help those with Ebola in Africa. People that they don't even know and are a world away... that blows me out of the water more than a local doctor coming back from Sierra Leone and treating patients a day later.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Tiamo719 wrote: »
    Seriously guys, would you want your physician to treat you after returning from West Africa? I would not be comfortable with this.

Wouldn't bother me.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I took a major vacation to South Africa, Botswana, Zambia and Zimbabwe this past summer. Just last week a friend seriously asked me if I was concerned about contracting Ebola. Seriously?! I've been back for over 2 months now - I'm pretty sure the incubation period is over. AND - I was 6000 miles away! Yes, that's 6000 miles, 9600 kilometers!

He wasn't even treating Ebola patients, so no - I wouldn't be concerned. I'd be more concerned that he was treating patients after such along trip and the time changes. I know it took me several days to feel like I was back my own time zone.
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Ebola is not transmittable unless the patient is exhibiting symptoms.
    So really even if he is currently infected, unless he is feverish and exorcist puking on his patients, he could play tongue hockey with each and every one of them - recently returned from Africa or not - and they wouldn't contract it.

I mean why didn't the Texas guy give it to anyone he was living with those days that the hospital sent him home? Why was it only transferred to his nurses who had sustained, direct contact with his bodily fluids? Because while the disease is extremely INFECTIOUS its really not very CONTAGIOUS at all.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,791 Member
    Options
    Buffalo Doctor? Do Veterinarians really specialize?
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,295 Member
    Options
    Not worried at all. Ebola will not spread like wildfire and kill everyone... the impending zombie apocalypse will do that silly.
    We can only hope.

• SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Don't eat from his utensils, share a sandwich with, french kiss, have sex with, handle his excrement, puke or draw blood from him, and you should be fine even if he's "hiding symptoms". Usually you don't do these things with your doctor...
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Do you freak out if someone in your state has AIDS? Ebola is about as transmittable as that disease. Unless you are handling bodily fluids of a currently infected person, you won't get EBOLA.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Why on earth would I be worried if my physician did this? Seriously.

You're more likely to get killed in your car while driving to the physicians office than you are likely to get Ebola from someone who was in West Africa.

If you want to put some numbers to it: Since the beginning of this outbreak, this virus has killed 4000 people and infected 8000 more.... in a region of 22 million people. That's a whopping 0.0005% of the population of that region, or 1 in 2000 people. The only reason why it's dangerous is because it does have a high mortality rate and there is no cure... yet... something that will exist is just a few months.

In the USA, there have been, what... 3 - 5 cases including one death? What do you think the odds of it getting to you? It took 10 months to infect 12,000 people in a region with an average population desnity of 46 people per square km. The USA has an average population density of 35 people per square km, and we have significantly higher quality healthcare and sanitary conditions throughout the country.

If you feel the odds of you getting this virus are high, you should start buying lottery tickets and stay away from dark clouds...
  • Tbaby1514
    Tbaby1514 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Ebola is NOT a new disease. Doctors go overseas all the time and come back and go right back to work. This is only in the media because a bunch of idiots are freaking out that a few people in the U.S. contracted it.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Kim-Kardashian-Ebola.jpg
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,295 Member
    Options
    And I bet they wished it was the other way around about fifteen minutes after "I do.".