To cheat or not to cheat???

Options
What are your opinions on cheat days? Is it good to have a cheat meal/day? What should I eat??

Its really early in the game for me to be looking at this, but I'd like to know what does and doesn't work.

Replies

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I had lots of cheat days/meals. My calorie goal was probably a little low though in retrospect, so cheat days helped balance things out and I still lost a lot of weight.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I've never seen the point in a cheat day and don't use them, at least not in any planned way. If I go over one day then I'll make it up another but if your diet is so restrictive that you feel the need to plan cheat days every week then perhaps you should consider something you can stick to long term.
  • StephTheVeggieKiller
    Options
    I find after a while, my body is screaming at me for calories. If I fight through it, I will be down a lb or two the next day.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    in my opinion no. Why undo all yr hard work?
  • robinjt24
    robinjt24 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For me personally it's better not to have cheat days. If I really want something I will eat it and log the calories as part of my daily allowance. I have an all or nothing personality so I can't risk getting set off on a binge by allowing a cheat day. Just my experience.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Here's my reply from a couple of days ago (along with many others): http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/30159244/#Comment_30159244
  • Milvardea
    Milvardea Posts: 52
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I think cheat meals give you something to look forward to. Cheat meals help to "shock" your body and your metabolism and can help you to get over weight loss plateaus. They are great motivators (If I'm good this week, I get a ____!). But there is a good way to cheat and a bad way to cheat. Still try to avoid really large portions of gross processed things. Try to make it at home (for example, I make my cheat pizza at home and save hundreds of calories; it's more effort, but makes your cheat meal more awesome). If you are low carb, shocking your body with carbs during a cheat meal can help. Same with low calorie and low fat. Just make sure your sources aren't crap food, like fast food (or small portions of crap food, filled in with a big old salad). Go to a nice restaurant that serves real food if you are craving a burger with all the toppings. Just remember that if you are not used to eating something and you eat a bunch all at once, it might upset your stomach (one of the only downsides to the cheat meal). I cheat with a doughnut sometimes, and the sugar all at once is so intense, I sometimes get a little dizzy, which is not good. So cheating is great, just remember to cheat smart!
  • ataylorgardner
    ataylorgardner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt do a cheat day but a cheat meal once in a while is ok especially if there is a specific food you really enjoy but have cut out of your diet. Allowing yourself to enjoy a "unhealthy" meal from time to time can help prevent pigging out later on :)
  • StephTheVeggieKiller
    Options
    Here's my reply from a couple of days ago (along with many others): http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/30159244/#Comment_30159244

Mind=blown. You put that perfectly :)
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    You don't really need cheat days so long as you eat in moderation. Being too restrictive is not the best long-term plan.
  • jkramsey42
    jkramsey42 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I find after a while, my body is screaming at me for calories. If I fight through it, I will be down a lb or two the next day.

Generally, if your body is telling you to do something, it's wise to listen.
  • DeniceRS
    DeniceRS Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I dont believe in "cheat days/meals" either. I've adjusted my eating so that I am eating more fruits and vegetables and more lean protein. But I have also "made over" or tweaked plenty of my favorite recipes to cut fat and calories so I can still enjoy them, just in moderation. And if some days I want a cookie...I have a cookie. I just keep them frozen in the freezer and sometimes, by the time it thaws, the urge has passed!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Milvardea wrote: »
    I think cheat meals give you something to look forward to. Cheat meals help to "shock" your body and your metabolism and can help you to get over weight loss plateaus.

Please understand that I am not trying to be rude but how are you "shocking" your body and your metabolism? I don't see any credible evidence that this is possible although I think most of us have had the experience of hanging at a particular weight for a few days or so and then having a big meal and *poof* the scale drops the next day unexpectedly. It's not really shocking, or tricking, your body into losing weight it's just water manipulation for the most part.
  • seasonsofdreams
    Options
    At first I would feel bad if I "cheated" and had something either completely unhealthy or just too high in calories, but now, if I decide to have, say, a piece of cake or a few pieces of a "fun sized" candy bar, I don't sweat it. Just include it, readjust plans for meals and snacks the rest of the day, and live with the fact that I'm not perfect! Like others have said, it's about moderation! Remember that, and enjoy what you eat!
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    so long as you can remain within a caloric deficit for the week.. a cheat meal seems okay to me.. in my mind.. it promotes sticking to your goals... and meal planning... say... you want to go out and pig out at a fancy restaurant... but you know it's going to be way over your caloric budget for the day...BUT if you skimp on the calories for the week... you can"FIT" that indulgence into your weekly meal plan... remember this is all about sustainability... which means... forethought... SO... "being good" with a small pot of gold at the end of the rainbow each week, or once a month... is a way to keep yourself honest... and goal orientated.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    What are your opinions on cheat days? Is it good to have a cheat meal/day? What should I eat??

Its really early in the game for me to be looking at this, but I'd like to know what does and doesn't work.
    When I was losing weight, I always worked in a weekly cheat day where I ate anything with no restrictions. It was a 24 hour food binge!
    I needed that at the time and lost 93 pounds over 2 years.
    dt0p3rj4u568.jpg
    Once I reached my weight goals, I have cut and bulk days, so no more full throttle cheating for me. After losing the weight, I wanted to focus on weight maintenance and fat loss.
    The rules changed a bit, but at day's end, I like my results there as well.
    4byy8tcjxijv.png

• JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Ideally, my cheat days would be eating at maintenance, while the rest of the time I would be eating under. But I'm trying to lose fat. Something I am doing is misguided, I think, but it sort of makes sense to me. Dang, I need to do more research...
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    What are you cheating against? Find yourself a sustainable weightloss goal with reasonable and sensible calorie limits and you shouldn't need to 'cheat'. If I want something I have it and fit it within my goals yes it may be a smaller portion than before but I still have it. I'm not perfect there are odd days I go over but only rarely. So 145 pounds down and it works for me
  • StephTheVeggieKiller
    Options
    _Zardoz_ wrote: »
    What are you cheating against? Find yourself a sustainable weightloss goal with reasonable and sensible calorie limits and you shouldn't need to 'cheat'. If I want something I have it and fit it within my goals yes it may be a smaller portion than before but I still have it. I'm not perfect there are odd days I go over but only rarely. So 145 pounds down and it works for me

I think you are on the ball here. Thanks :) Its nice to hear common sense.