Let's go ahead and debunk the whole "I'm big boned" theory...

Options
No, you're not. You're fat.

/reality

9AhHv6p.jpg

Replies

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    You are aware that it possible for people to have different bone structure, right? One picture proves nothing.

My DH has 42" shoulders. His wrists, even at 190 pounds, are so large I cannot get my hand around them. He is one of those people where the BMI calculator will never be right, because he's also only 5'7". I have wide shoulders for a woman, and he makes me look small.
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I always assumed I had a large frame since I've always been overweight. I was incorrect! I recently did the measurements and found that I'm medium framed! Can't use that excuse anymore :)
  • rainbowblu
    rainbowblu Posts: 119 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Incorrect.I feel on bones all day at work..some are bigger.I don't buy that as a reason why some people are fatter,but some bones ARE bigger than others.I'm fat,but my wrists are not..I still need to use larger bands on watches ect....Even when I was a size 4 I used bigger bands...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You are aware that it possible for people to have different bone structure, right? One picture proves nothing.

My DH has 42" shoulders. His wrists, even at 190 pounds, are so large I cannot get my hand around them. He is one of those people where the BMI calculator will never be right, because he's also only 5'7". I have wide shoulders for a woman, and he makes me look small.

Bone structure (width) is different than bone size.. Big bone refers to having big bones. And generally the people who suggest they are big bone tend to have high body fat percentages. Now if someone is 190 lbs @ 5'7 and 10% body fat, i would suggest they have a lot of muscle, but if they are 25% body fat, it's a different story.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Bones typically are just a very small percentage of you overall body weight and bone size cannot be used as an excuse either. Now, people can be generally more muscular (or fat) in certain areas of their body and their connective tissues (ligaments and the like) can be larger in certain areas than others but your bone size is not something that typically adds to overall size of the body structure. I say typically, because there are some people that have genetic mutations that lead to bone malformation or excessive bone growth. These are the only people that can claim to be big boned. How wide your shoulders are is determined by your musculature, not your bones. The same can be said about hips as the hip bone has some level of flexibility, especially in women for child bearing. Anyone can be any size they want to be given the right diet and activity level and the skeleton plays absolutely no role in that process.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    No I am not fat actually...I have lost 60lbs and I still wear a size 8-9 shoe depending on the width of the toe...so when I said I was "big boned" I meant it...doesn't mean I can't wear a size 4 jean tho....just means well...my bone structure is different than most women my size.

But this will probably turn into a "big boned" vs "Bone Structure" word game........just like the whole muscle weighs more than fat discussions...
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I think there some kind of way of checking, not entirely sure what it is but something along the lines of: if u can wrap ur fingers round ur wrist and ur forefinger touches ur thumb it means u have small bones, if ur middle finger touches ur thumb u have medium bones, something or other for large bones... Blah blah, something like that. I read it on the internet (clearly didn't pay much attention) but it seemed feasible.
  • Beckilovespizza
    edited October 2014
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/219938-how-to-know-your-body-frame/ as my last post made zero sense this link explains better :smile:
  • MagicalGiraffe
    MagicalGiraffe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else amazed at the gap size between the lower pelvic region and his genitalia?
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    how do you explain dinosaur bones. Bones can be different shapes and sizes. A whale or a cow, or a pig can have different sizes. A cow and a average weight person would not have the same bones.

dinosaurbonex.jpg
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    No, you're not. You're fat.

/reality

9AhHv6p.jpg

*sob* You said you wouldn't share that pic of me!

I still <3 you though. Please don't leave me.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

I'm just entertained that this got flagged for abuse... :laugh:
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/219938-how-to-know-your-body-frame/ as my last post made zero sense this link explains better :smile:

Hmm I always thought I had a small frame, but by that test I have a large one. And, I'm fat
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options

+1

Some people do have a bigger frame. Therefore they should not have the same goal weight as someone with a small frame. Having a large frame may mean at your ideal weight you will be slightly higher... but the difference will be minor. 10-15lbs at most.

I have a small frame so I know I need to shoot for the lower end of the ideal weight range for my height.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Bone size doesn't matter. If you have rolls on your back, stomach, legs, arms. Then you're fat. That's pretty much all there is to it. Just be a nice size for your frame.
  • Beckilovespizza
    Options
    Is anyone else amazed at the gap size between the lower pelvic region and his genitalia?

Lol, by the looks of it, it's not big bones he needs to worry about, more like big balls!

• RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I think I may be big boned because I have a big head.

I'm disturbed by this thought, because I had a blind date once with a man with a big head (he'd told me he'd lost a lot of weight, and his head seemed really large on his shoulders...)

So, now that I'm losing inches, I wonder if my head will become to big for my shoulders. So, I hope I'm big boned and this won't happen.

• independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    double post. oops.

• RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    (I sometimes do bite my tongue and don't let all the stupid stuff out... so, no I didn't tell him he had a big head.) :)