Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

the same cycle over and over

Hey there,
I'm noticing a pattern and I want to know is it psychological, or is it just laziness....?
So I'll get really motivated and do really well for a week or two, I will log, exercise, meal plan etc. Then, one slip up, and I'm done. I completely stop what I was doing and lose all of the progress I have made. Then, I realized I've failed and I get really down on myself.
I have so many reason why I want to be healthy, some of them are vain, but some are legitimate health/family reasons.
Also, I'm constantly looking for an excuse, which is probably why I am writing this post. I want a reason for everything, instead of taking ownership for myself I guess.

I'm at a really low point right now, so any encouragement would be greatly appreciated! Tell me your struggles and how you have gotten through it.
Is it possible that my problems are psychological, and is it worth getting help for?

My work benefits will cover some nutritional counselling and psychology.

I know what I need to do, I know what foods to eat, and what not to eat, and portion control and all that. I just lack the motivation to put it all together.

Replies

• 4ever420
    4ever420 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I hear ya but unfortunately I don't have the answer myself. For me it's like a switch that goes on in my head, giving me motivation and making it seem somewhat easy. Then in the past the "switch" just goes off one day and I find it impossible to get back on track and end up gaining all the weight back. I've been going consistently for almost a year now but I am terrified of losing that mojo again. One day at a time I suppose.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Could be psychological most likely habit/routine??

Most likely unless you find yourself in a place where you really want to make a change then you will still be that mouse on the treadmill going around and around.

Routine and habits are difficult stuff to change.

My advice do not try to change too much in one go.

I get the impression that you are trying to do lots `at the start` and this could be where you are going wrong?

It is like going cold turkey and not being able to deal with it.

Make small changes, if cold turkey is not for you?

Change 1 meal for a few days/ walk a little for a few days/and so on....baby steps
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    I generally dont get unmotivated as I see a personal trainer 4 times a week. I cant get unmotivated when I have appointments to get my workout in. I suppose if I skipped a few appointments, I would start to get unmotivated.

But the real reason why I work hard is that my scale and body fat measurements are going down. I have to buy more clothes because everything is big on me. This is what I want and I want to keep going with that until I reach my goals. I have been a yo-yo dieter for 2 decades now and its time to stop, otherwise I might not live another 2 decades.

Its also hard to get unmotivated when I eat pretty much what I want. I eat less of it or variations of foods that are lower in calories. If I want real ice cream, I will make room for it in my cals or I will get a 30 walk in on the treadmill to burn the cals. I dont restrict the types of foods, I just eat at my 500 calorie deficit where I lose 1 lb a week. This makes it easier to stay on task and have this work for the rest of my life instead of "while I am dieting".