Eating a minimum of 1200 calories a day?

Options
2»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    tgraysgirl wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    This also confuses me a lot too. I'm 5'45" and 186lbs I think (166cm and 84kgs) I'm eating around 1200kcal a day and my goal is to burn 1000kcal from exercise everyday. I feel full and have enough energy with 1200kcal a day although Im sure its a bit higher than that. Most of my food I scan the barcode on the product or put in the data from it manually. But certain things dont have all the nutritional info and I do a search on the MFP database and I think they could be wrong. I dont want eating too little to affect my weightloss. Am I doing this right? Haha

so you net 200 calories a day….1200 eaten - 1000 burned = 200 net???

if that is what you are doing, then yes, you are doing it wrong.

Eventually you are going to have metabolic adaptation and will not lose at "1200" and then you will have to reverse diet or something to fix your metabolism.

in the example you gave you should eat 2200 - 1000 burned = 1200 net ….

Thank you ndj1979!! I've been trying to figure this out. I've been doing it wrong for the past 3 weeks.

No problem.

Just be careful when estimating your calorie burns as MFP and machines tend to over estimate it ...

I would suggest eating back half of your exercise calories and see how it goes.

so in the example I gave you ..it would be 1000 burned/2 = 500 burned...1700 - 500 burned = 1200 net..

However, I still think 1200 is too low for a 195 pound male...
  • moslimsdown
    Options
    This also confuses me a lot too. I'm 5'45" and 186lbs I think (166cm and 84kgs) I'm eating around 1200kcal a day and my goal is to burn 1000kcal from exercise everyday. I feel full and have enough energy with 1200kcal a day although Im sure its a bit higher than that. Most of my food I scan the barcode on the product or put in the data from it manually. But certain things dont have all the nutritional info and I do a search on the MFP database and I think they could be wrong. I dont want eating too little to affect my weightloss. Am I doing this right? Haha

Eventually you are going to have metabolic adaptation and will not lose at "1200" and then you will have to reverse diet or something to fix your metabolism.

Thank you ndj1979!! I've been trying to figure this out. I've been doing it wrong for the past 3 weeks.

No problem.

Just be careful when estimating your calorie burns as MFP and machines tend to over estimate it ...

so in the example I gave you ..it would be 1000 burned/2 = 500 burned...1700 - 500 burned = 1200 net..

I usually burn over 1000 calories during my 1.5 hrs workout, 5-6 days per week. I wear a HRM so I enter exactly what it says. I don't trust MFP estimates. So, in actuality, I was only netting 100-200 cals per day. I definitely need to increase my calories. I've lost 10lbs this month but I know now that it wasn't the "right" way. I'll make sure my net is at least 1200 this week and see how I do.
  • ndj1979
    Options

No problem.

I usually burn over 1000 calories during my 1.5 hrs workout, 5-6 days per week. I wear a HRM so I enter exactly what it says. I don't trust MFP estimates. So, in actuality, I was only netting 100-200 cals per day. I definitely need to increase my calories. I've lost 10lbs this month but I know now that it wasn't the "right" way. I'll make sure my net is at least 1200 this week and see how I do.

are you using an HRM to track calories burning from weight lifting or cardio? My understanding of HRM's is that they are very inaccurate for tracking calories burned from lifting weights...
  • moslimsdown
    Options

No problem.

are you using an HRM to track calories burning from weight lifting or cardio? My understanding of HRM's is that they are very inaccurate for tracking calories burned from lifting weights...

From both but bulk of my calories are burned during cardio. I only lose 300-400 calories on average during my lifting sessions. On days I do cardio only I try to limit it to 45 minutes and I average about 500-600 calories burned according to my HRM.
  • ndj1979
    Options

No problem.

From both but bulk of my calories are burned during cardio. I only lose 300-400 calories on average during my lifting sessions. On days I do cardio only I try to limit it to 45 minutes and I average about 500-600 calories burned according to my HRM.

Ok - I would suggest only counting the burn that your HRM measures during cardio ...but that is just my opinion...
  • csengineer13
    Options
    This is OP commenting:

I did a little more research after all of the helpful comments, and I found that my BMR is ~1,860 calories/day.

According to my ForeRunner 220 watch, I burn between 220 and 420 calories (depending on the day) by jogging.

Currently, my goal is to eat ~1,560 calories a day + whatever calories I have burned from cardio.

This should put my net beneath my BMR, but my total calorie intake above my BMR. Is this a better approach than my previous? Is there anything I should tweak?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    It's "better", but you should be netting BETWEEN BMR and TDEE....not necessarily below BMR. With this approach, you're barely going to net your BMR, if at all.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    This is OP commenting:

I did a little more research after all of the helpful comments, and I found that my BMR is ~1,860 calories/day.

According to my ForeRunner 220 watch, I burn between 220 and 420 calories (depending on the day) by jogging.

Currently, my goal is to eat ~1,560 calories a day + whatever calories I have burned from cardio.

This should put my net beneath my BMR, but my total calorie intake above my BMR. Is this a better approach than my previous? Is there anything I should tweak?

Your sedentary resting metabolic rate is around 2230 per day. 1560 is still too low for an active male in their early 20s.