Scared to transition from losing weight to maintenance.

Options
My goal was to lose 100 lbs and I am down 97! Woo hoo! I am so close! But I am really nervous about changing my goal from "losing" to "maintenance." The past several months my weight has slowed down drastically. I went from losing 2 lbs a week to losing only 1 lb a month. Now, I know this is expected, but my concern is since I am no longer losing weight on my 1200 calorie daily limit, if I increase them for maintenance, will I gain weight? Anyone else have this concern? Thoughts or suggestions?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Increase slowly to allow your body to adjust. When you diet, your metabolism ultimately dials down...when you increase your calories, it will dial back up. The human body is very good at metabolic adaption.

Just up them very slowly over a matter of weeks. Also realize that you are likely to gain some scale weight going to maintenance anyway...suffice it to say that if you're eating more, there will be more waste inherently in your system...you will also retain more fluids and top off your glycogen stores.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above...

I started 5 lbs ago adding daily calories ... and in 5 lbs again I will add some. I plan to drift into my goal weight losing .5 lbs a week.

If you don't, you'll swing 500-1000 calories a day-- that's a lot of food to figure out how to consume!
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I've been adding gradually as well. It makes it easier to mentally come to terms with a higher calorie intake.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I did the same. I added 100 daily calories each week until I was at my maintenance level. You might add 50 a week instead, if that makes you feel more comfortable. But I think you'll find after the first week or two of maintaining that it really does work. :)
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm adding gradually as others have said. I lose at a rate of .5lbs per week at 1400 calories a day. I figure my maintenance (without exercise) is around 1600. I upped my calories from 1450 to 1500 today. I'll probably keep at 1500 for a couple weeks.
  • AlisonZ13
    Options
    As someone who did this wrong, a bit of advice: Upping calories after your weight loss has slowed as you are approaching is scary. BUT, you have to do it! I was terrified of increasing my caloric intake when I switched from losing to maintaining. I maintained my weight at the cut calorie level for a couple of years, and then slow weight gain started to happen. I am working now to increase my calories and rev my metabolism after waiting too long to do so. It is scary, but if you do it slowly, it will make maintenance more permanent and easier on you and your body. Best of luck.
  • AllisonMorrris3
    AllisonMorrris3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Your posts are really helpful. I'm still hesitant, but I think I will try adding 50 cals at a time.
  • GBO323
    GBO323 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I concur. I hit goal 8/2014 and initially added all the calories back in at once. Bad move. So I'm slowly working back up week after week.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    IloveJAM3 wrote: »
    My goal was to lose 100 lbs and I am down 97! Woo hoo! I am so close! But I am really nervous about changing my goal from "losing" to "maintenance." The past several months my weight has slowed down drastically. I went from losing 2 lbs a week to losing only 1 lb a month. Now, I know this is expected, but my concern is since I am no longer losing weight on my 1200 calorie daily limit, if I increase them for maintenance, will I gain weight? Anyone else have this concern? Thoughts or suggestions?
    I lost 93 pounds 3 years ago and have maintained this.
    IT'S HARD!
    Most people gain the weight back, and that ship just won't sail for me. You must be just as determined in maintaining weight as you are now in losing. I switched from weight loss to fat loss with good results. Just don't do what most people do which is ease up and relax.
    d0gh4wx4sg35.png